MAL commits to UConn!

Discussion in 'UConn Men's Basketball' started by Matrim55, Sep 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jibsey

jibsey

Ray and Rip were juniors.

uconnell likes this.
  2. aceboon

aceboon

Yea and? Based on your posting you probably were upset that they left and as its been pointed out to you already, they played in a different era, no way in hell does Ray put in 3 years in the 2010s and its very unlikely Rip would have seeing as he was almost out the door in 98.

UConn990411, Jerry1714 and tzznandrew like this.
  3. LIUCHusky

LIUCHusky

I'm glad you are not starting my team. LOL

Huskies4ever likes this.
  4. 7774

Again, your whole invented narrative where a player is either the best college player in the country, or a non NBA ready player that a team is taking a flyer on, with no options in between, is just so bizarre.

5. 7774

I thought it was pretty clear that his 23/24 year old senior comment was a response to you saying you hoped Jalen was a 4 year player for us.

You are correct though, Rip and Ray were juniors. You're now up to 1 accurate comment in this thread.

6. jibsey

jibsey

Jalen was 7,2,2 last year 27% from 3 in a crap conference. He's 6'1 170 and if he's anything in the NBA he will have to be a point guard. So look at last year's NBA draft and tell me where he fits in today's NBA draft? Dunn 6'4' played 4 years, developed and went 5th. Murray was 17th 16,4,4 and is big as a pg. Now I love the kid and hope he improves a lot but I'm not very worried that he's bolting for the NBA.

7. 7774

No one is really saying he's likely to go. People are just noting how ridiculous your belief is that he would need to have a junior year Ray, Rip, or Kemba type season in order to be a first round selection.

8. walker11

walker11

When several people disagree with you and no one agrees with you - you are either wrong, or just smarter than everyone else. What do you think is more likely?

You don't consider measurables at all. Jalen has good size for the position, with long arms and great athleticism. The idea that he would need an All American type season to get drafted in the first round is silly. You don't seem to understand how the NBA works.

Tampahusky likes this.
  9. jibsey

jibsey

Let's talk again on draft day.

10. CL82

CL82 It's going to be ok - calm down and enjoy the ride

I'd want to think about Marcus and AJ, not sure that I'd put Tate above Taliek. Too soon for Jalen, but I think that he'll get there.

Huskies4ever likes this.
  11. Mr. French

Mr. French

I'm just gonna chime in to hopefully ease this tension, but it's the BY so that probably is pointless...

I definitely agree with everyone that his comment about having a basically historic year isn't accurate...but I think he may have been making the general point that with the given situation, unless Jalen has that transcendent year, it wouldn't be typical nor smart for him to leave. I agree with that.

I think essentially, people get caught in the details of some posts, and sometimes the general point gets lost in the shuffle.

He wasn't saying JA would never or could never or should never leave unless he has that insane, transcendent year. He could still even be a 1st rounder. He was more saying at this exact moment, that's the best case scenario of him bolting this year...that would be great for him, his legacy, our program, his finances, etc. And it would make sense to everyone involved, including us fans.

Can he make a small leap, ala Kemba/Ray soph yr, still get drafted 1st round, still have everything work out? Sure... But the point was more like "he shouldn't / wouldn't leave without having that insane year and being a top 5 lock, if we're predicting right this second."

And again, the things jibs said to back that up, if everything isn't taken so extremely literally, are mostly right. His situation in general doesn't lend itself to him leaving next yr unless many things really click.

12. Mr. French

Mr. French

And as a PS, I think Taliek has been improperly and difficult to rate his whole life and career, but he was a great floor general for us and for that team.

His shooting was brutal so he didn't personally take over games, but that doesn't mean he wasn't great. Individually, guys like Kemba and Bazz did things he couldn't dream of, but that's not to say the reverse couldn't be true as well. He was a top notch pure PG no matter what, and for that team he was PERFECT.

donyell34, uconnell and Huskies4ever like this.
  13. walker11

walker11

People are debating your logic, not the idea that Jalen won't be ready next year.

14. 7774

If he is a solid first round draft pick it would be smart of him to go, and it would be great for us and our recruiting. He does not need to have a transcendent year in order to achieve this.

No, that is exactly what he is saying. Here is his quote.

"In order for Jalen to realistically leave after this his second year he would need to dominate against major competition which means he would be equal or better than Kemba Walker, Ray Allen or Richard Hamilton after their 3rd years."

15. husky429

husky429

When you exaggerate, it makes your point seem less valid, even when you may have a decent argument. Do I truly think he will go to the NBA? No. But you are bound to get flack when you use a crass tone, under-exaggerate to help your case, etc.

Jalen Adams is listed at 6'3 195lbs on the roster. Draftexpress has him at 6'2 191 in 2014. No he is not 6'1 170 under any circumstances. Look at this kid--NOTHING about him looks 170 lbs. He has an NBA point guards body and athleticism. His wing span was 6'6.5 in 2014 so he may be a little longer now. He is an excellent athlete: his first step is extraordinary going to his right, and he can elevate quite well. Because of these attributes, less eye-popping stats could get him into the first round, unlike someone like Boatright or Napier who had limited tangibles.

He also averaged 7.3/2.6/2.4. a) technically you should say 7/3/2. This is minutiae but it contributes to people not receiving you well. Similarly, it is completely foolish to ignore how he played towards the end of the season, and to refuse to acknowledge the stats that he has performed well in. For example, his 2pt% is 46%. TO 1.7/game and 87% FT%, which to an NBA scout shows shooting potential--he can make shots. This was also all in 23 minutes. 36 minute potential is of concern to the NBA.

Now let's look at the last 10 games to make the math easy, because he showed quite a bit of growth since day 1.
    PTS: 10
    REB: 3.2
    AST: 3.4
    TO: 1.8
    Stl: 1.1
    Blk: .6
    Pf: 2.2

FT/G: 2.0
    FT% : 95%
    3P/G: .55
    3P%: 64%
    2P% (something like 35% on 4.5 shots... I lost track counting)

Interesting is that it's a pretty big reversal from earlier in the year. He shot from 3 well, albeit infrequently, but struggled from two because defenders were sagging. Yet when he gets fouled he is an ELITE shooter from the line. We have to get this kid in the lane finishing hard and consistently so. If he can hit 3s consistently, it will open up the drive for him more to score or make it on the line. This was actually pretty interesting to learn, so in a way I'm glad you annoyed me.

Does he need to shoot better? Yes.
    Does he need to learn to layup on the left? Yes.
    Is he improving as a leader and distributor? Yes.

Is it a "threat" he goes to the NBA? Absolutely. Is it likely, no, but you're a fool for suggesting it is THAT unlikely. Especially in the way you did.

16. superjohn

superjohn

You should just drop it, you're not doing well in this thread.

UConnSwag11 likes this.
  17. UconnBoston

UconnBoston

Terry Rozier's sophomore year he averaged 17pts, 5reb and 3 assists, then was taken 16th overall by the Celtics. I think Jalen profiles similarly in terms of athleticism and shooting ability. I doubt he averages 17pts next year, but I think 14/15 is within the realm of reasonable possibility with more than 3 assists per game. That could very well be enough to make him a mid-first round pick.

The crap conference point is intellectually dishonest, particularly in the same paragraph that you compare Jalen to Kris Dunn. No NBA scout is going to downgrade a prospect because they play at UConn, particularly given the overall strength of our schedule. Also, multiple non-P5 players go in the lottery every single year.

18. superjohn

superjohn

Come on, Marcus and AJ were far better.

tzznandrew likes this.
  19. CallMeBruce

CallMeBruce

Of course.

20. CallMeBruce

CallMeBruce

Sure, but you're wrong today.

21. Northbound

Northbound

I seem to remember one huge shot that Taliek hit at MSG against Pitt.

TB was as though a guy as any that put on the UCONN jersey. He took some much s&$t from fans and media and came out a national title winner.

22. CL82

CL82 It's going to be ok - calm down and enjoy the ride

AJ was more of a scorer. Taliek might have an edge on assists though. Marcus was a great passer and probably scored more, at least his senior year.

I guess you are right Superjohn, still the natty has got to be worth something and there Taliek leads 1-0.

uconnell, Huskies4ever and superjohn like this.
  23. BUConn10

BUConn10 Artist formerly known as BUHusky10

That pick was almost universally seen as a reach and an overall bad pick. I'd say Rozier's draft experience is the excretion not the rule.

24. 80shusky

80shusky

He shouldn't be excreting during the draft.

WideRight!, BUConn10 and Stairmaster like this.
  25. walker11

walker11

He was still seen as a first rounder. I don't see a huge similarity anyways - I realize it wasn't your comparison.

26. BUConn10

BUConn10 Artist formerly known as BUHusky10

LOL!

David 76 likes this.
  27. Freddysolo13

Freddysolo13

For those of you not familiar with Makai Ashton Langford's game here's a link to a full game of his. I was going through the Cushing YouTube channel and I just pick the first one , watching the first 10 minutes of it you can already see how much of a great get he is for UCONN he can REALLY defend and he is a weapon on the offense end too. even if you don't want to watch the whole thing, Watch the first 10 minutes you'll be even more happy with the pick up

28. Mr. French

Mr. French

Right. I was trying to say he probably worded it improperly, and he definitely exaggerated too much, I agree with all of that.

He probably meant "ideally" more than "realistically" based on what he's said since.

But again, I get it on both sides.

29. UConnSwag11

UConnSwag11 Storrs, CT The Mecca

30. auror

auror

Wow he has 0 left hand finishing. Like embarrassingly none. This was a highlight video and I cringed a few times. How did we get another no-left-hand-and-weak-shooting PG?

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for him to be a Husky, but that's a gaping hole. Those driving left righty scoop layups are going to be much harder at the college level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.