MAL commits to UConn! | Page 9 | The Boneyard

MAL commits to UConn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Come on, Marcus and AJ were far better.

AJ was more of a scorer. Taliek might have an edge on assists though. Marcus was a great passer and probably scored more, at least his senior year.

I guess you are right Superjohn, still the natty has got to be worth something and there Taliek leads 1-0.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Terry Rozier's sophomore year he averaged 17pts, 5reb and 3 assists, then was taken 16th overall by the Celtics. I think Jalen profiles similarly in terms of athleticism and shooting ability. I doubt he averages 17pts next year, but I think 14/15 is within the realm of reasonable possibility with more than 3 assists per game. That could very well be enough to make him a mid-first round pick.

The crap conference point is intellectually dishonest, particularly in the same paragraph that you compare Jalen to Kris Dunn. No NBA scout is going to downgrade a prospect because they play at UConn, particularly given the overall strength of our schedule. Also, multiple non-P5 players go in the lottery every single year.
That pick was almost universally seen as a reach and an overall bad pick. I'd say Rozier's draft experience is the excretion not the rule.

Reaction Score
That pick was almost universally seen as a reach and an overall bad pick. I'd say Rozier's draft experience is the excretion not the rule.

He was still seen as a first rounder. I don't see a huge similarity anyways - I realize it wasn't your comparison.

Reaction Score

For those of you not familiar with Makai Ashton Langford's game here's a link to a full game of his. I was going through the Cushing YouTube channel and I just pick the first one , watching the first 10 minutes of it you can already see how much of a great get he is for UCONN he can REALLY defend and he is a weapon on the offense end too. even if you don't want to watch the whole thing, Watch the first 10 minutes you'll be even more happy with the pick up

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
If he is a solid first round draft pick it would be smart of him to go, and it would be great for us and our recruiting. He does not need to have a transcendent year in order to achieve this.

No, that is exactly what he is saying. Here is his quote.

"In order for Jalen to realistically leave after this his second year he would need to dominate against major competition which means he would be equal or better than Kemba Walker, Ray Allen or Richard Hamilton after their 3rd years."

Right. I was trying to say he probably worded it improperly, and he definitely exaggerated too much, I agree with all of that.

He probably meant "ideally" more than "realistically" based on what he's said since.

But again, I get it on both sides.

Reaction Score

Wow he has 0 left hand finishing. Like embarrassingly none. This was a highlight video and I cringed a few times. How did we get another no-left-hand-and-weak-shooting PG?

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for him to be a Husky, but that's a gaping hole. Those driving left righty scoop layups are going to be much harder at the college level.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Wow he has 0 left hand finishing. Like embarrassingly none. This was a highlight video and I cringed a few times. How did we get another no-left-hand-and-weak-shooting PG?

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for him to be a Husky, but that's a gaping hole. Those driving left righty scoop layups are going to be much harder at the college level.
lol

Reaction Score
I saw this pop up and was reminded we have another good PG prospect coming in. Regardless of how this season goes, next year we are going to have 4 guys that can handle the ball. If the wings can develop their shot and any big can rebound/defend then the team is set up for at least a nice 2 year run.

Reaction Score

2017 Recruiting: - PG Makai Ashton-Langford (UConn Offer)

In regards to his left hand. Some things many people don't know about MAL is that he shot with his left hand and was a left handed player up throughout his freshmen year, Jump shots and all, before switching to being a right handed player as a sophomore. he finishes this way because its unorthodox for the defense to time and block his shot, so he finishes at a high rate. that why hes regarded as one of the top finishers in the country, if not the best.

Reaction Score

Thanks for the info. I thought it was odd he drove left so often but didn't finish with his left hand. Put it this way, it's jarring when you notice tendencies in a highlight video of all things. I'm not sure if that "unorthodox" and unpredictable finishing will work at college level, but if he can go back to left hand just in case, then that's great.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Thanks for the info. I thought it was odd he drove left so often but didn't finish with his left hand. Put it this way, it's jarring when you notice tendencies in a highlight video of all things. I'm not sure if that "unorthodox" and unpredictable finishing will work at college level, but if he can go back to left hand just in case, then that's great.
if you watch basketball, a lot of players do what he does... our past pgs have done that and adams does now

Reaction Score
if you watch basketball, a lot of players do what he does... our past pgs have done that and adams does now

Yes, I referenced Adams in my first post on this thread. The nature of events is that we'd never know if he'd shoot higher or lower by finishing with his left hand. All that matters is that Adams shot 46% on 2s last year, which is certainly good enough.

Reaction Score
Yes, I referenced Adams in my first post on this thread. The nature of events is that we'd never know if he'd shoot higher or lower by finishing with his left hand. All that matters is that Adams shot 46% on 2s last year, which is certainly good enough.

If you look at the second half (ish) of the season when he started playing more, he actually shot in the mid-30s which is pretty bad--especially for one who doesn't shoot many threes at all. He still improved in other facets of the game, don't get me wrong, but he didn't adjust well to increased pressure from the d.

Reaction Score
If you look at the second half (ish) of the season when he started playing more, he actually shot in the mid-30s which is pretty bad--especially for one who doesn't shoot many threes at all. He still improved in other facets of the game, don't get me wrong, but he didn't adjust well to increased pressure from the d.

He just tried an embarassing righty scoop layup from the left side under duress (but not fouled that I could see). I think he airballed it.

Reaction Score
He just tried an embarassing righty scoop layup from the left side under duress (but not fouled that I could see). I think he airballed it.

That kind of play will impact your fg% lol.

Not actually looking too bad after the 9 TO in the first 7 minutes-ha!

Reaction Score
That kind of play will impact your fg% lol.

Not actually looking too bad after the 9 TO in the first 7 minutes-ha!

Yeah he made 2 runners immediately after I posted this, naturally (but both from the right side).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom