MAL commits to UConn! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

MAL commits to UConn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Huge get, obviously.

While the draftexpress writeup isn't so positive, at the very least we have a top 40 guard who can be an energizing presence off the bench, behind Adams and Gilbert, and hopefully develop into a stud on his own.

We're basically set at the 1-2 positions for the next 2 years, and leaves room for Diallo at the 3.

Additionally, Ollie continues building his recruiting cachet. We're not fading into oblivion on the recruiting trail, at least at the guard position.

Reaction Score
Ollie is exactly what this program needs right now. Energizing coach who really gets behind the program, and is proud to do so. Really popular guy in CBB, talked to a couple people a couple weeks ago and they said Ollie was among the best coaches in America. Talked to Sterling Gibbs a few weeks ago and he said he really enjoyed playing for him

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Who cares? No need to waste your time reading the PC boards anyways.

I was very, very tempted to go over there today for the first time ever after the MAL news broke, but then I thought I have better things to do (like watch The Kardashians with my wife before she goes in to work tonight).

Reaction Score
If we do add HamD (I trust Oz on this one still), he would play the 3? So Jalen if he stays, 'Rique, MAL, would split between the 1 and 2. Right?
Huge get, obviously.

While the draftexpress writeup isn't so positive, at the very least we have a top 40 guard who can be an energizing presence off the bench, behind Adams and Gilbert, and hopefully develop into a stud on his own.

We're basically set at the 1-2 positions for the next 2 years, and leaves room for Diallo at the 3.

Additionally, Ollie continues building his recruiting cachet. We're not fading into oblivion on the recruiting trail, at least at the guard position.

Don't forget that they're thinking NBA draft... We're thinking college-level contributor. Sure he would get eaten alive in the NBA but can modest improvements over a few years with his shooting, etc. help us to win championships? Hell yah

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
If we do add HamD (I trust Oz on this one still), he would play the 3? So Jalen if he stays, 'Rique, MAL, would split between the 1 and 2. Right?
If Hamidou commits and we get no other guards/wings in 2017, our depth chart probably looks like this for the 2017/18 season:

PG: Jalen (Jr), Alterique (S0), MAL (Fr)
SG: Hamidou (Fr), Vital (So)
SF: Larrier (Jr), Jackson (So)
PF: Durham (So), Diarra (So)
C: Enoch (C)

This doesn't mean that Vital will get as much playing time as Alterique, or more than MAL, nor that Hamidou will see most of his minutes at SG. It's just a look at the primary positions of the guys we'd have on the roster with the overview being "we have a lot of backcourt looks we can throw at teams."

Reaction Score
I was very, very tempted to go over there today for the first time ever after the MAL news broke, but then I thought I have better things to do (like watch The Kardashians with my wife before she goes in to work tonight).

Cause it's funny reading stuff like this : obviously people are going to look at the tournament visits and our win as a success (which it is)

Reaction Score
If Hamidou commits and we get no other guards/wings in 2017, our depth chart probably looks like this for the 2017/18 season:

This doesn't mean that Vital will get as much playing time as Alterique, or more than MAL, nor that Hamidou will see most of his minutes at SG. It's just a look at the primary positions of the guys we'd have on the roster with the overview being "we have a lot of backcourt looks we can throw at teams."

we need to be pitching playing time HARD to some of these 2017 high level bigs--Ike obiagu, Richards and Bamba. I love Enoch but if he doesn't improve we'll be in a tough spot.

Reaction Score
Ham is a 3 at the college level, IMO.
I agree I think, since he'll probably be listed as 6'6 and we already love 3 guard sets with Rodney-- who is much shorter--playing and defending then3

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Yes. Yes. And hell yes. Let the dominos fall from here.

If he's crafty and has a gripe but gets around and is always down then he's crafty and just my type.

(He's craftyyyy)

Living in the lodge my roommates n i would sing bout the neighbor. Shes darcy and she get around. Shes darcy and shes always down. Shes darcy and shes just my type.

(Shes darrrcccyyy).

Reaction Score
ESPN 33
Rivals 40
Scout 32
247 39

Let's see how that changes post-commit. Or has it already? I don't recall him being as low as 40.

Reaction Score
ESPN 33
Rivals 40
Scout 32
247 39

Let's see how that changes post-commit. Or has it already? I don't recall him being as low as 40.
He was like 60 on 247 yesterday or two days ago

Reaction Score
He was like 60 on 247 yesterday or two days ago
The chart on their site confirms a big bump. Do we have pro-UConn folks there or are they just that bad and they are playing catch up? I will give them credit for having a chart though. Way more transparent than the other sites. I fully expect MAL to plummet on ESPN (Orange Sportsnet), for example.

Reaction Score
The chart on their site confirms a big bump. Do we have pro-UConn folks there or are they just that bad and they are playing catch up? I will give them credit for having a chart though. Way more transparent than the other sites. I fully expect MAL to plummet on ESPN (Orange Sportsnet), for example.

That's a composite ranking. Also, the jump has been more gradual than that. He was ranked around #70 about a year ago, but was #41 at the beginning of 2016. Still impressive to be knocking on the door of a five-star rating at this point.

Reaction Score
ESPN 33
Rivals 40
Scout 32
247 39

He's consistently been in the 37-40 range on Rivals for months now. You never learn your lesson with this stuff.

Reaction Score

Jim Calhoun isn't walking through that door. That lineup is way too big, with way not enough ballhandling.

With KO's (correct) preference for smaller, modern, guard-oriented lineups, it'll be a lot closer to:

PG: Gilbert (S0), Vital (So)
SG: Adams (Jr), MAL (Fr)
SF: Diallo (Fr), Jackson (So)
PF: Larrier (Jr), Diarra (So)
C: Enoch (C), Durham (So)

Probably more accurately, the 1 and 2 positions would be interchangeable, with Adams and Gilbert starting and playing 30 mpg, MAL the first off the bench at 15-20 mpg, and Vital getting the remainder.

Diallo and Larrier would start at the 3 and 4. Jackson the primary backup at the 3/4 when we go perimeter-oriented, and Diarra for those (hopefully) rare minutes where we play 2 bigs together.

Enoch starts at the 5, with Durham the primary backup, though if Durham and Diarra are in together, it's probably Durham spending more time at the perimeter on offense.

Ideally we'll add a stud big to complement the 4/5 rotation, in addition to Diallo, and maybe a bench SF as well.

Reaction Score
He's consistently been in the 37-40 range on Rivals for months now. You never learn your lesson with this stuff.
No, actually, you never learn yours. Let me say it again, the gap between how smart you THINK you are and how smart you ACTUALLY are is a god damn CANYON!

I said, "I don't recall". What don't you understand about the english language? What about that confuses you? Or do you think everyone else is like you and doesn't have a life? I don't track these sites daily. I don't assume anyone else does either except, maybe, you. So if someone says, "I don't recall", I would assume they missed it due to the constant changes. Maybe the last time I looked, he was 37 or some other 30-something. Get it? Look, son, being an obtuse will not end well for you. Change now before it is too late.

Reaction Score
No, actually, you never learn yours. Let me say it again, the gap between how smart you THINK you are and how smart you ACTUALLY are is a god damn CANYON!

I said, "I don't recall". What don't you understand about the english language? What about that confuses you? Or do you think everyone else is like you and doesn't have a life? I don't track these sites daily. I don't assume anyone else does either except, maybe, you. So if someone says, "I don't recall", I would assume they missed it due to the constant changes. Maybe the last time I looked, he was 37 or some other 30-something. Get it? Look, son, being an obtuse will not end well for you. Change now before it is too late.
Sure, you definitely weren't trying to imply that Rivals dropped MAL's ranking because he committed to us. Seriously though, how many times are people going to have to point out you're wrong before you end this UConn recruiting rankings manipulation conspiracy theory of yours?

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun isn't walking through that door. That lineup is way too big, with way not enough ballhandling.

With KO's (correct) preference for smaller, modern, guard-oriented lineups, it'll be a lot closer to:

SG: Adams (Jr), MAL (Fr)
SF: Diallo (Fr), Jackson (So)
PF: Larrier (Jr), Diarra (So)
C: Enoch (C), Durham (So)

Probably more accurately, the 1 and 2 positions would be interchangeable, with Adams and Gilbert starting and playing 30 mpg, MAL the first off the bench at 15-20 mpg, and Vital getting the remainder.

Diallo and Larrier would start at the 3 and 4. Jackson the primary backup at the 3/4 when we go perimeter-oriented, and Diarra for those (hopefully) rare minutes where we play 2 bigs together.

Enoch starts at the 5, with Durham the primary backup, though if Durham and Diarra are in together, it's probably Durham spending more time at the perimeter on offense.

Ideally we'll add a stud big to complement the 4/5 rotation, in addition to Diallo, and maybe a bench SF as well.

Adams will be our primary 1 and leader on the floor. No way around that. He is not and will not play 2. He is banging on the door his sophomore year to be our leader. Notice that he's hosting a visit instead of Rodney? Kid is a natural born leader and that's why KO wanted him from day 1. Our 1 and 2 are interchangeable in our system. So lump Jalen, rique, vital, MAL together. Sometimes HamD could play there if he comes, depending on opponents lineups and foul trouble.

Now it gets tricky because Larrier is a true 3 at the college level. If he is a good defender he will play some 4 a la Daniels and Dham. I see him splitting 25 mins between 3 and 4

Durham will play more 4 except in that small lineup. I saw him at the football game Thursday, no way he is banging as a 5 on D. He is a terrific player though; some of us are sleeping on him. Kid was on track to be a high 5* recruit before injury. If he comes back on a tear... Watch out!

KO emphasizes putting the 5
Best players in the court and trying to make opponents adjust. That's why it's tricky for us to say who will play where. All I know is I would love to have HamD and another big!!

Matrim55

Reaction Score

At no point in his HS career has Vital been a real PG, nor has he ever projected to actually be one. He's a combo guard at best, but really an undersized SG.

Reaction Score
Ham is a 3 at the college level, IMO.
who wouldn't want to play with the trio of adams, gilbert , and Mal. those guys running the floor... wow. Honestly don't think there is a better pg rotation next year, forget when mal comes to town. My one hope for hami to come to school is to learn nuances of professional level defense and offense; things like cutting off ball but mainly pnr play. Ollie is a master at developing defensive iq, he never bails out his players and forces them grasp schemes...a very pro like approach to coaching. Hamidou could definitely use that, but i'll go on the record if he declares after his PG year he will no doubt be a first rounder.

Reaction Score
At no point in his HS career has Vital been a real PG, nor has he ever projected to actually be one. He's a combo guard at best, but really an undersized SG.

I don't think he'd ever play full-time at the point, but for a nominal backup, you could certainly do worse.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
I don't think he'd ever play full-time at the point, but for a nominal backup, you could certainly do worse.
For sure. But on a roster with Adams, Gilbert & MAL, Vital is almost certainly #4 on the PG depth chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom