MAL commits to UConn! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

MAL commits to UConn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For sure. But on a roster with Adams, Gilbert & MAL, Vital is almost certainly #4 on the PG depth chart.
I think Jalen is a strong candidate to leave after this season, and who knows, maybe Vital kills it off the bench this year.

Reaction Score
Better then any uconn guard in a decade plus.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    141 KB · Views: 222
Reaction Score
Ok this is good news guys but lets put things in perspective and remember that Mike Fatcessa said "after Calhoun Uconn mens basketball will become irrelevent".;)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Why waste any time with the delusional old women (figuratively, not literally) on PC's board?

Reaction Score
Why waste any time with the delusional old women (figuratively, not literally) on PC's board?
Let's all just stop worrying about them. Not saying I agree with them or anything but this type of stuff happens on every board, including this one. Can't really be hypocritical like that when their fan base is talking themselves up, we do that all the time here.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
True story: I go to school in Boston and this past Wednesday I was wearing a UConn sweatshirt in a restaurant by campus and the lady working there noticed what I was wearing and said her son visited UConn "this past weekend" with the family and she said him and the whole family loved it. She said he is highest on UConn and BC right now but that Kevin Ollie made a great impression on the family and that he is "an amazing coach". We chatted a little bit and I assumed he was just someone we were showing interest in (judging by him being high on BC as well which is uncommon for guys we target) but when I was leaving I asked for his name and she said Makai.

Now that Im reading this thread its become clear to me MAL is the son she was referring to and that they were at UConn for First Night this past weekend. She seemed really impressed by the program and made it seem like her son was chasing UConn, not the other way around due to the way she phrased the following: "I keep telling him, work hard, work hard and they will want you and you can get a full scholarship and a free education".

She also mentioned that her family is very close to Shabazz's and that they have known each other for a long time being close to Roxbury and such. This bodes well for us as the neighborhoods in Boston like Dorchester and Roxbury are big on UConn and multiple people have stopped me while wearing UConn gear to say something like "Bazz!" out of the blue.

Take this for what its worth but I think if Ollie stays on this kid he will be a Husky.

I knew over a year ago when I ran into a member of this kid's family by chance that UConn was where he wanted to play, and that if Ollie stayed on him he will sign with us. Glad it played out like expected and everything worked out for the best, I need to find her and say congrats.

Welcome MAL.

Reaction Score

I'm intrigued by the 4 titles this summer, how rare/big-time is that? Is that easy or not really. Love some more detail on this....

I'm very excited that KO got his top guy again! Pretty good size to pair w Rique and CV and hopefully Jalen!

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I knew over a year ago when I ran into a member of this kid's family by chance that UConn was where he wanted to play, and that if Ollie stayed on him he will sign with us. Glad it played out like expected and everything worked out for the best, I need to find her and say congrats.

Welcome MAL.
I remember you posting that like two years ago, something about a cafeteria and lunch and you chatted with his mom...I too felt the same way about MAL and expected him to come here after reading your post from back when, you just inched your way above @Chief00 for "insider" infoman
Good work & congratulations! ;)

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Better then any uconn guard in a decade plus.
Thanks Scuba for this
I would take a college pg in Bazz or Kemba ANYDAY over Dunn
National Championships trump 1 NCAA victory in my books
Dunn may be a wonderful pro but no way was he a better college pg than Bazz, Kemba, KEA and maybe even AJ

Reaction Score
I think Jalen is a strong candidate to leave after this season, and who knows, maybe Vital kills it off the bench this year.
In order for Jalen to realistically leave after this his second year he would need to dominate against major competition which means he would be equal or better than Kemba Walker, Ray Allen or Richard Hamilton after their 3rd years. Don't see it even though he is more of a point guard than Ray or Rip were. Have we had a point guard ever leave our program for the NBA after 2 years?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Have we had a point guard ever leave our program for the NBA after 2 years?
Kind of. Marcus Williams played half a year (2003-2004), a full year (2004-2005) and another half year (2005-2006) then entered the draft. It was spread over three years but he did only play two.

Reaction Score
In order for Jalen to realistically leave after this his second year he would need to dominate against major competition which means he would be equal or better than Kemba Walker, Ray Allen or Richard Hamilton after their 3rd years. Don't see it even though he is more of a point guard than Ray or Rip were. Have we had a point guard ever leave our program for the NBA after 2 years?
I have no idea what the chances are of him leaving, but you're basically saying he would need to be the best player in the country in order to go, and that doesn't make much sense. He could easily be a first round pick without playing at that level.

Reaction Score
I don't think this is true. Yeah he would obviously need to have a good year, but teams more often than not draft based on pro potential, even over production sometimes. I'd say if he conservatively averages 14 6 and 4 he could definitely go first round, especially if his shooting improves.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what the chances are of him leaving, but you're basically saying he would need to be the best player in the country in order to go, and that doesn't make much sense. He could easily be a first round pick without playing at that level.
Along with that, it's a completely different era from when Ray and Rip played, maybe even Kemba. Malachi Richardson boosted his stock to first round one-and-done status with just 5 games in March.

A player like Ray and Rip in this day and age would definitely be a 1-and-done (at most 2-and-done).

Reaction Score
Jalen needs to shoot 40% from 3 to leave early. Let's hope, but that's a long way up from last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom