Major Announcement... TV? (Update>CBSSN) | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Major Announcement... TV? (Update>CBSSN)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So long as we play BC 4x per decade, I'm good.

Thinking aloud and looking at the programs in the northeast - seems like in taking a decade view we might strive for something like this:

We probably need to show a little life on the field and in the stands for this to happen.
  • Army 10x
  • UMass 10x
  • Syracuse 6x - Maybe? Kind of need 4x or 5x as a min.
  • Buffalo 5x - For scheduling ease/not for love.
  • BC 4x-5x - Just think this is the realistic cap.
  • Rutgers 4x - Renewed rivalry with UConn might bring some life to ticket sales. B10 only has three OOC slots.
  • Temple 4x - Very hard to say what happens here post AAC.
  • Maryland 3x - Booked for a single H&H, can we get a second in a decade? B10 only has three OOC slots.
  • Pitt 3x - Hard to imagine Pitt coming to the Rent more than once in a decade. Fingers crossed.
  • UVA 3x - Another 2-1 type school me thinks. Maybe we could get this relationship up to 4x however.
  • Navy 2x - I could see us skipping this one...everything changes if Navy ditches the AAC however.
  • WV 2x - Seems like this is the most realistic way to get a B12 game.
  • VT - 2x - Their schedule is well booked out. Maybe we find a way for one series.
  • Penn St 2x - UConn visits for Payday games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thinking aloud and looking at the programs in the northeast - seems like in taking a decade view we might strive for something like this:

We probably need to show a little life on the field and in the stands for this to happen.
  • Army 10x
  • UMass 10x
  • Syracuse 6x - Maybe? Kind of need 4x or 5x as a min.
  • Buffalo 5x - For scheduling ease/not for love.
  • BC 4x-5x - Just think this is the realistic cap.
  • Rutgers 4x - Rrenewed rivalry with UConn might bring some life to ticket sales. B10 only has three OOC slots.
  • Temple 4x - Very hard to say what happens here post AAC.
  • Maryland 3x - Just dont seem them being that interested...probably wants 2-1s. B10 only has three OOC slots.
  • Pitt 3x -Also dont see that as that interested...also probably want 2-1
  • UVA 3x - Another 2-1 type school me thinks. Maybe we could get this relationship up to 4x however.
  • Navy 2x - I could see us skipping this one...everything changes if Navy ditches the AAC however.
  • WV 2x - Seems like this is the most realistic way to get a B12 game.
  • VT - 2x - Their schedule is well booked out. Maybe we find a way for one series.
  • Penn St 2x - UConn visits for Payday games.
2/1 with Virginia? Seriously? We can get UNC, NC State Wake, pretty much every ACC team not named Florida Star or Clemson. Mid tier B10 as well as B12 teams 1-1 Why would we do 2-1 with Virginia? I also expect to see some games with BYU maybe 4 and a couple of 1-1 with PAC teams. They really need to get games in the eastern time zones. I realize these aren’t east coast teams but I think over time they will be our best hopes for name games.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
2/1 with Virginia? Seriously? We can get UNC, NC State Wake, pretty much every ACC team not named Florida Star or Clemson. Mid tier B10 as well as B12 teams 1-1 Why would we do 2-1 with Virginia? I also expect to see some games with BYU maybe 4 and a couple of 1-1 with PAC teams. They really need to get games in the eastern time zones. I realize these aren’t east coast teams but I think over time they will be our best hopes for name games.

Relax, its a sketch. We'll see. Right now we are visiting UVA for a one off pseudo pay day game (created by breaking up the old dominion series) with no return game. If we manage to schedule a fresh 1 and 1 with UVA for later this decade we will be on track for playing them three times in this new independent era which would effectively be a 2 for 1.

Over the course of a decade hopefully we don't have to schedule any 2 for 1s and if we do, it will be only a couple times with P5 programs that are meaningful to our recruiting footprint and/or a sure fire boost to home ticket sales (for example, a Michigan 2 for 1 would be a no brainer as Michigan would cause us to sell out our stadium for once). I'm sure at this moment with decent momentum under foot we aren't really talking to any schools about 2 for 1s. You really can't do more than a couple 2 for 1s over a decade or the home schedule gets too thin for content.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Relax, its a sketch. We'll see. Right now we are visiting UVA for a one off pseudo pay day game (created by breaking up the old dominion series) with no return game. If we manage to schedule a fresh 1 and 1 with UVA for later this decade we will be on track for playing them three times in this new independent era which would effectively be a 2 for 1.

Over the course of a decade hopefully we don't have to schedule any 2 for 1s and if we do, it will be only a couple times with P5 programs that are meaningful to our recruiting footprint and/or a sure fire boost to home ticket sales (for example, a Michigan 2 for 1 would be a no brainer as Michigan would cause us to sell out our stadium for once). I'm sure at this moment with decent momentum under foot we aren't really talking to any schools about 2 for 1s. You really can't do more than a couple 2 for 1s over a decade or the home schedule gets too thin for content.
The more B1G on the schedule the better. We have the advantage that we qualify as P5 level opponent in their scheduling, and we need to keep in front of them. They are the state flagship conference that make sense for us some happy day.

Reaction Score

Why does the University of Washington or Oregon State "really need" to get games in the eastern time zone? Because their fans in Seattle are demanding it? Because they have hundreds of thousands of fans in the eastern time zone demanding it? What?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Why does the University of Washington or Oregon State "really need" to get games in the eastern time zone? Because their fans in Seattle are demanding it? Because they have hundreds of thousands of fans in the eastern time zone demanding it? What?
Just guessing, but probably to periodically remind 2/3rds of the country that they exist. And not just for sports, but school too...if I were exposed more to WA or OR as a teenager I would have considered going to school there.

Reaction Score
Just guessing, but probably to periodically remind 2/3rds of the country that they exist. And not just for sports, but school too...if I were exposed more to WA or OR as a teenager I would have considered going to school there.

O.K., so playing one game in the eastern time zone against a UConn team that no one cares about is going to change your recruiting profile on the east coast? Seriously? Kids who watch college football on TV are going to think differently if they play one game a decade somewhere in your time zone that may or may not be within driving distance to where you are?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
O.K., so playing one game in the eastern time zone against a UConn team that no one cares about is going to change your recruiting profile on the east coast? Seriously? Kids who watch college football on TV are going to think differently if they play one game a decade somewhere in your time zone that may or may not be within driving distance to where you are?

I don't know if there is any good substance too it, but there has been this rumor around that the PAC 12 would like to get one of their schools playing a game at noon or 3pm in the EST with greater frequency so that they have more exposure and I guess a longer day of conf content. I remain a bit skeptical of this rumor and I guess we'll see how the PAC schedules going forward for confirmation.

I actually do think there is a small chance we could get a 1 and 1 with Stanford. The rest of the P12 schools feel like a weird match up. I wouldn't deny any of them, but it would be a surprise and somewhat odd. I suppose the most likely would be Oregon State just because both schools think they are scheduling a win.

Reaction Score
I don't know if there is any good substance too it, but there has been this rumor around that the PAC 12 would like to get one of their schools playing a game at noon or 3pm in the EST with greater frequency so that they have more exposure and I guess a longer day of conf content.

No way a PAC 12 team wants to travel to the East Coast to play a noon game, that is 9:00am body time. That would be getting the team up at 6:00am or earlier body time. Puts a team at a huge disadvantage.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
No way a PAC 12 team wants to travel to the East Coast to play a noon game, that is 9:00am body time. That would be getting the team up at 6:00am or earlier body time. Puts a team at a huge disadvantage.
Like I said, I am skeptical. But I have heard it from a couple places. One of those rumors.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Asking to schedule any P5 team more than 2X per decade is asking a lot.
You'd be doing well to on average schedule 1 game from each P5 conference per year and fill the rest with G5, Independents (and the lone FCS game to assure 6 home games).

Reaction Score
Like I said, I am skeptical. But I have heard it from a couple places. One of those rumors.

There are PAC team travelling to play a handful of games in the eastern time zone over the next ten seasons.....too early to know time slots..

UCLA....Auburn, Georgia
Cal........Florida, Auburn
Stanford....Boston College
Arizona.......VT
Arizona St....Florida
Colorado......GT, Florida

Reaction Score
he's not wrong... for ECU, the AAC really is their cap and more money than they've ever made. Dropping to a regional conference for them means their TV dollars are slashed as they'd end-up in a very low level southeast conference with a TV deal in the hundreds of thousands.

Buy games and independent football dollars wouldn't make up for the massive losses they'd take. It's better for them to cut sports and limit the deficit than face an even more desperate situation in the Big South or that kind of conference (or a more regionally aligned Sun Belt/C-USA)

Reaction Score
If football is ECU's thing...they will sacrifice to play Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF, Houston rather than Texas-Arlington and Arkansas State type teams.

At UConn, basketball was paramount...could be football for ECU.

Reaction Score
I Can endorse the move. I ended up at college in Oregon by pure luck; still here 39 years later and loving it (Oregon, not college).

Reaction Score

This time zone concern may be overblown on a one off. Playing at 1PM in South Bend sure didn't hurt Charles White in '79. He didn't look tired to me from where I was sitting.
1979 – USC 42, Notre Dame 23 Notre Dame was 4–1, while USC came into this game at 5–0–1. Both teams would accumulate over 500 yards of total offense apiece as the Trojans pulled away in the second half after being tied 7–7 after 30 minutes. Heisman Trophy winner Charles White accounted for 261 rushing yards on 44 carries.

Reaction Score
The PAC has been trying to make its presence felt on the East coast for a while. They even opened a NY league office and had their season opening meeting there a few years back. They want media attention. kicking Off at midnight doesn’t get that.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Circling back to ECU...a snippet from Matt Brown's column this morning:

I did not realize this, but with UConn off to the Big East, ECU now sponsors more sports (20) than any of the other AAC full-time members.

At the same time, ECU spends less money on coaching salaries, travel expenses, and athletic-expenses per athlete than most of the other schools in the league. ECU is regularly near the bottom of the Learfield Cup Standings within the AAC, so there might be an argument that spreading spending out across so many other sports limits limits their competitive potential in some way?

In addition to plenty other recommendations, from focusing on regional scheduling to save money on travel, to restructuring their booster club and fundraising efforts, the report also called for reduction in sports:

He also details how football tickets sales revenue is way down and been a downward trend for 6 years and cites the steady losing record for the decline. Sounds familiar.

My own thoughts; more than ever, college football needs some upstart surprises over the next two years. Something a little broader than merely UCF challenging the bowl committee. The sport needs a handful of new schools to break into the top 25 to help keep hope alive and fan interest elevated.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The NCAA essentially just legalized buying players so there will be a shift in the power balance.

If only T Boone Pickens were still alive OkSt would be a contender. Does SMU still have all those oil alums and do they still care about FB?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom