Major 7 Conference Coaches On The Hot Seat (CBS Sports) | The Boneyard

Major 7 Conference Coaches On The Hot Seat (CBS Sports)

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
College basketball coaches on the hot seat: Who has work to do to save their jobs?

If not for NCAA and/or FBI investigations still threatening the jobs of a batch of men, it would absolutely be the quietest year of coaching turnover at the major-conference level in the past decade. In speaking with industry sources over the past few weeks, it's accepted as a lock that fewer than 20 jobs flip from the Major 7 conferences (AAC, ACC, Big 12, Big East, Big Ten, Pac-12, SEC). The number might not even hit 15 -- but there are outside factors that could bring upheaval.

Here is a list of schools who could reasonably and rationally opt to make a change come March. The list also details what coaches can do in order to keep their jobs. In some instances, coaches are already on track to do so. This is the longest list rationally possible, which is another way of saying that many of these schools will wind up retaining their current coaches.

AAC COACHES ON THE HOT SEAT

UCONN

Coach: Kevin Ollie

Interesting ongoing situation in Storrs: The Huskies (11-12) have sharply fallen out of national relevance the past two seasons, but season-ending injuries have also played a part in that. Ollie -- in his sixth season and with a national title to his name -- is under contract through 2021 and signed for a base compensation of .9 million across the life of that deal. But that could be wiped away if information from an ongoing NCAA investigation turns up evidence that would void his contract. Locally, UConn fans have become fed up with the team's mediocrity in the American -- the Huskies were the crown jewel get for the American, yet have never finished better than third -- and doubts have permeated throughout the Nutmeg State as to whether the program can get back to top-25 status under Ollie. The timeline on the NCAA's investigation is unknown, as is the severity of potential violations. If no new information comes from the NCAA side in the next two months, Ollie will likely hold on to his job.

E. CAROLINA
Interim coach: Michael Perry

The Pirates already have made a coaching change, as Jeff Lebo resigned at the end of November. Athletic director Jeff Compher no doubt has crafted a target list of realistic candidates whom he'll be eager to interview come March. ECU last made the NCAAs in 1993.

MEMPHIS
Coach: Tubby Smith

I don't expect a change the Bluff City, but the 14-10 Tigers just lost to East Carolina on Saturday, then fell by 20 against Wichita State on Tuesday night. ECU was ranked 315th at KenPom heading into that game. It marked a new low in Smith's tenure with the Tigers. If Memphis continues to crater, then a job change could be in order, but he is only in year two. I think it's more likely than not that Smith is back for 2018-19. It's hard to overstate just how frustrated the fan base is, though. Recruiting has sagged and positive morale has faded.

Reaction Score
Expect Memphis to fire Tubby Smith and hire former Greg Marshall assistant Steve Forbes, now of ETSU.

Reaction Score
Is it OK to hope we get a violation?

Memphis' attendance has shrunk immensely. Nice to see the AAC included in the same breath as the Big East.

Reaction Score
Is it OK to hope we get a violation?

Memphis' attendance has shrunk immensely. Nice to see the AAC included in the same breath as the Big East.
I can't believe a fan just even considered hoping for a violation. I have read many things on this board said about our program that disgust me but this goes too far.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
If we're relying on the NCAA acting quickly, we're gonna have a bad time.

Also, could you imagine if Tom Izzo, Sean Miller, and Bruce Pearl were let go? That'd be seismic.

Reaction Score
I can't believe a fan just even considered hoping for a violation. I have read many things on this board said about our program that disgust me but this goes too far.
I was being facetious. Relax.

I'm a graduate. I'd rather watch UConn hockey than basketball.

Reaction Score
Ollie doesn't have a seat here anymore, he's done.

Living in our non-P5 reality, this might be easier said than done. Considering there's no true "buy-out" clause we're on the hook for $9MM through the next 4 seasons. While the AAC allotting us our tier 3 rights provides a well-appreciated bump in our athletic revenue (approx. $8MM/year compared to most AAC members at approx. $3) I don't see AD David Benedict justifying such a move this offseason despite the fanship fervor. Compound this with a recruiting class that has fans rightfully excited (all of which we'd unquestionably lose should KO be shown the door) and the equation simply doesn't add up. The historic blowout losses hurt, and AD David Benedict will force a change within the Ollie camp (don't be shocked if we see another bout of arm twisting akin to last spring where Ollie was forced to make an assistant coaching move). All these factors boil down to this: a hefty buyout, an admirable recruiting class, and a National Title (not to mention his place as UConn venerable + familial status ) all add up to KO roaming the sidelines in 2018-2019.

Reaction Score
Living in our non-P5 reality, this might be easier said than done. Considering there's no true "buy-out" clause we're on the hook for $9MM through the next 4 seasons. While the AAC allotting us our tier 3 rights provides a well-appreciated bump in our athletic revenue (approx. $8MM/year compared to most AAC members at approx. $3) I don't see AD David Benedict justifying such a move this offseason despite the fanship fervor. Compound this with a recruiting class that has fans rightfully excited (all of which we'd unquestionably lose should KO be shown the door) and the equation simply doesn't add up. The historic blowout losses hurt, and AD David Benedict will force a change within the Ollie camp (don't be shocked if we see another bout of arm twisting akin to last spring where Ollie was forced to make an assistant coaching move). All these factors boil down to this: a hefty buyout, an admirable recruiting class, and a National Title (not to mention his place as UConn venerable + familial status ) all add up to KO roaming the sidelines in 2018-2019.

How does an inconsequential recruiting class consisting of two 3 star and one barely 4 star player save Ollie's job? I love the guy but there's no baby to throw out with the bathwater. It will cost us more than the buyout in the long run if we don't rebuild the program immediately.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
He's done

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Watching UConn hockey at the XL is a blast. Relatively cheap ticket for great seats, motivated and engaged crowd, and a young fun team. If anyone gets a chance go see a game. Reminds me of UConn MBB in the early Calhoun years.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The author speculates that firing Ollie at the end of this season depends on new information being disclosed from the NCAA investigation. That suggests there isn't enough already known by the AD to warrant triggering of the buyout elimination clause in his contract. If we're waiting on the NCAA, the chances of getting any info in the next two months are likely slim and none. Under those circumstances, the author thinks it's likely he'll be back for at least one more season. That prediction seems in line with the statements made by Benedict.

Reaction Score
Watching UConn hockey at the XL is a blast. Relatively cheap ticket for great seats, motivated and engaged crowd, and a young fun team. If anyone gets a chance go see a game. Reminds me of UConn MBB in the early Calhoun years.
I go to games at other schools these days, drive around New England, etc, but still would rather watch UConn hockey.

The hockey scene in New England is very underappreciated.

Reaction Score
My understanding of the contract (and there have been many numbers thrown around, depending on which article you read) is that if he is terminated in or after May 2019, the buyout is $600K. If he is let go before that, he is owed the remainder on the contract. That’s a massive difference ($9 million vs. $600K), and I just don’t see the AD shrugging it off. Short of something concrete from the NCAA, I don’t see him being terminated this year.

That being said, I don’t understand the concern about losing players, as the coach will impact the future of the program far more than anyone projected to play next year. Look at OSU - they had turnover when Matta left, but they are good this year. Heck, even Tubby Smith, who is allegedly on the hot seat, lost a ton of players when he took the job at Memphis, yet they still rolled UConn with their replacements. Based on what I’ve seen to date, I think a turnaround would probably happen more quickly with a new coach (assuming the right person is hired) than it would with the roster as currently constructed.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
"the Huskies were the crown jewel get for the American." I didnt realize we signed up to be in the American?

It would be more accurate to say, "The Huskies are the crown jewel of the American and their presence made joining the conference attractive to schools like East Carolina, Tulsa, and Wichita State."

Reaction Score

Should have stopped after buyout. Everything else you mentioned is nonsense.

Start the bus....... ITS OVER!

Reaction Score
It would be more accurate to say, "The Huskies are the crown jewel of the American and their presence made joining the conference attractive to schools like East Carolina, Tulsa, and Wichita State."

"Much to the dismay of UConn , the Huskies were forced to be part of the collective group of colleges leftover from conference realignment after the basketball only schools kept the Big East Conference name."

Reaction Score
Ditto. So now we are hoping Ollie is found doing something wrong....Not OK. Sorry, let's have a little class about this. So let me get this straight. He fixed the APR problem he was left with, won a title, started out at a bargain basement price, now we are hoping we can find a way to screw him out of his buyout. Pathetic.

Reaction Score
I'm a little suprised Fran Dunphy isn't at least included on the list. Lots of rumbling from Temple fans about regression (this was previously an annual tournament team.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom