Mac and cheese kid arrested in Florida | The Boneyard

Mac and cheese kid arrested in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I texted my cousin who is a cop in tampa and said this kid is in big big trouble.. the resisting an officer "with violence" is a huge deal.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Sadly, it's just a matter of time before he becomes a statistic. He was ordered into rehab by a judge. He won't take to it until he chooses to get rehabilitated on his own accord.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Sadly, it's just a matter of time before he becomes a statistic. He was ordered into rehab by a judge. He won't take to it until he chooses to get rehabilitated on his own accord.

Not true 25. Someone forced into rehab and someone going voluntarily have about the same chance of a positive outcome. Interventions work. At least, they work as well as voluntary rehab, which is not too great.

Anyone with a kid or other loved one with a problem, should keep forcing the issue.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Not letting the kid off, but it sounds like he wasn't right in the head:

Officer Gina Schuss wrote in the report that Gatti repeatedly made suicidal statements while being transported in the cruiser after his arrest.

Schuss said police were called to the rehabilitation facility May 27 at 4:14 p.m. because staff were concerned about Gatti. He had arrived at 11 a.m. from a detox center in Fort Lauderdale for treatment for addiction to alcohol and drugs.

Staff noted he had "elevated vitals" and was going through withdrawal. Around 3:30 p.m. he left the center barefoot, allegedly because a doctor had denied him medication to cope with the pain from withdrawal, the report states.

Schuss wrote that she encountered Gatti when he returned to the facility at 5:45 p.m., angrily demanding the return of his belongings.

"I then began to speak to him about how he felt," Schuss wrote. He was agitated, sweaty and out of breath, she noted, and she told him she was concerned about him and for his safety.

He replied that he "did not care if he got hurt or if he hurt himself and wanted to be left alone," Schuss wrote.

Reaction Score
No one likes this kid, but if you read the article it seems more of a BS arrest. Just give the kid his possessions and let him leave the facility if he disagrees with the treatment program.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
No one likes this kid, but if you read the article it seems more of a BS arrest. Just give the kid his possessions and let him leave the facility if he disagrees with the treatment program.

I think the arrest was of the "he's a danger to himself and others" variety.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Your name implies you may live in Florida. You really want a kid going through the bends wandering through your neighborhood?

The kid is sick in a bad way. It's never too late until it's too late. The unfortunate reality for an addict is that "rock bottom" isn't the rational rock bottom that a non-addict can see and avoid. This kid doesn't make the top 1,000,000 for rock bottoms achieved by addicts.

The phrase sick and tired of being sick and tired applies. Until he wants help, none of it matters.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Not true 25. Someone forced into rehab and someone going voluntarily have about the same chance of a positive outcome. Interventions work. At least, they work as well as voluntary rehab, which is not too great.

Anyone with a kid or other loved one with a problem, should keep forcing the issue.
I'd venture that going to rehab as a result of an intervention is more voluntary than not. That's the point. Show the person he/she is surrounded by people who love them and give them a reason to want to get better.

Reaction Score
I've had a close friend go though rehab(s). This kid needs the type where they load you up with meds to kill the misery of withdrawal and then taper you off. The method of quitting anything cold turkey only works for a small percentage.

Next, the kids parents need to get down to Florida and give the kid a few hugs and then keep him under their watch for a couple of years. Stop sending him off to schools and rehabs far from home. He needs to be down the street.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I think the arrest was of the "he's a danger to himself and others" variety.

True, but most cops would have arrested him either way. If he doesn't now stay in rehab, my guess is he's going to jail, rightfully so.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I'd venture that going to rehab as a result of an intervention is more voluntary than not. That's the point. Show the person he/she is surrounded by people who love them and give them a reason to want to get better.

People ordered to treatment by the court have the same chance of getting sober as those who go voluntarily.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
People ordered to treatment by the court have the same chance of getting sober as those who go voluntarily.

Likely true, simply because they are removed from the booze. But I doubt those who are forced into treatment are as likely to remain sober once they get out. The stats are already depressing as hell. Wanting and accepting help is a huge step.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Likely true, simply because they are removed from the booze. But I doubt those who are forced into treatment are as likely to remain sober once they get out. The stats are already depressing as hell. Wanting and accepting help is a huge step.
It is but the thinking is starting to change.
What if addiction is actually not a progressive disease like cancer or something ( like the 12 step programs tout) but is actually a learning disability?
What if all these years where we claimed " acceptance " was the key that the acceptance was actually maturation?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
What if addiction is actually not a progressive disease like cancer or something ( like the 12 step programs tout) but is actually a learning disability?

I don't really care what it is called. The recidivism rate is incredibly high, and the physical damage to those who continue to drink definitely is progressive.

And I've heard the maturation argument before. Some dope on TV pointed out the number of alcoholics decline with age. He made the argument that there are very few old alcoholics. That because most die from the abuse well before they get 'old.'

(I'm not suggesting this is your argument)

The key to acceptance is likely once an alcoholic hits rock bottom. Even then, most eventually drink to excess again.

August_West

Reaction Score
I don't really care what it is called. The recidivism rate is incredibly high, and the physical damage to those who continue to drink definitely is progressive.

And I've heard the maturation argument before. Some dope on TV pointed out the number of alcoholics decline with age. He made the argument that there are very few old alcoholics. That because most die from the abuse well before they get 'old.'

(I'm not suggesting this is your argument)

The key to acceptance is likely once an alcoholic hits rock bottom. Even then, most eventually drink to excess again.

Interesting article.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/26/o...get-over-an-addiction.html?smid=tw-share&_r=2

I started a thread in the pool as it could lead to an interesting discussion.

August_West

Reaction Score
Do we know where Mac and Cheese kid is currently? Ive got something he may be interested in. The UConn recipe!

13533220_10153616359972344_4009833221482277428_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer