Mac and cheese kid arrested in Florida | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mac and cheese kid arrested in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do we know where Mac and Cheese kid is currently? Ive got something he may be interested in. The UConn recipe!

13533220_10153616359972344_4009833221482277428_n.jpg
elaine_next_zpssqhfmykq.jpg

NEXT!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So while I feel bad for Mac and Cheese Kid, the bright side is after the original story came out my daughter made jalapeño mac and cheese and it was all kinds of awesome. So… silver lining?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
So while I feel bad for Mac and Cheese Kid, the bright side is after the original story came out my daughter made jalapeño mac and cheese and it was all kinds of awesome. So… silver lining?
Buddy made it for the tailgate at the following football game.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Likely true, simply because they are removed from the booze. But I doubt those who are forced into treatment are as likely to remain sober once they get out. The stats are already depressing as hell. Wanting and accepting help is a huge step.
Look guys, I do this for a living. Both of my brothers and my foster son are in recovery. My father died from alcoholism. I have a masters degree and 40 years of experience. Be open to the fact that your gut or a personal anecdote might not be the truth.
Intention on entering treatment has little or no outcome on recovery.
We still don't treat addiction like other illnesses. When we do, we will realize that treatment that doesn't lead to lifetime recovery is not a failure. Same as having new heart problems does not mean your previous treatment was a waste. It is disease. People getting treatment do not have a great percentage of success. I think for many, multiple treatments are needed.
But I know plenty of people who hit "their bottom" 20 years ago, were clean and sober then went back out and died in a couple of days

Husky25

Reaction Score
Treatment can only do so much. It is administered by others. Bottom line is that if the kid doesn't want "it," "It" won't work. A person in court ordered rehab might come to realize over the course of their stay that it's what is best and continue to work the program afterward. From the outside, it seems awfully clear that this particular individual thought he could go through the motions to appease the court.The article said he had suicidal tendencies during withdrawal. Hopefully this is his wake up call, but excuse me for being skeptical.

I wonder if he has any younger brothers or sisters. Why is he in rehab in Florida? Where are his parents? Where is his support circle?

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Sadly, it's just a matter of time before he becomes a statistic. He was ordered into rehab by a judge. He won't take to it until he chooses to get rehabilitated on his own accord.

Facing real consequences is what this kid really needs if he's ever going to turn it around. Mommy and Daddy's deep pockets have bailed him out time and again and the lesson he's learned is that he can get away with anything. For his own good, I hope he gets a true punishment that sticks this time and comes out a better man for it rather than a bratty kid.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
How did what I said, contradict what you are saying? There is simply no way you can make someone stop drinking, unless they're willing to do so.

With that said, there are many who are court ordered to treatment, who accepted they had a problem, and wanted to quit. The two are not mutually exclusive (and the threat of prison time is also a great motivator).

But they have to buy into wanting to quit somewhere along the way, or it has no chance of working.

I do agree that quitting forever is the goal, but quitting for just a week would be an accomplishment for many.

Worth noting - unfortunately, your family history is far from unique.

Look guys, I do this for a living. Both of my brothers and my foster son are in recovery. My father died from alcoholism. I have a masters degree and 40 years of experience. Be open to the fact that your gut or a personal anecdote might not be the truth.
Intention on entering treatment has little or no outcome on recovery.
We still don't treat addiction like other illnesses. When we do, we will realize that treatment that doesn't lead to lifetime recovery is not a failure. Same as having new heart problems does not mean your previous treatment was a waste. It is disease. People getting treatment do not have a great percentage of success. I think for many, multiple treatments are needed.
But I know plenty of people who hit "their bottom" 20 years ago, were clean and sober then went back out and died in a couple of days

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
How did what I said, contradict what you are saying? There is simply no way you can make someone stop drinking, unless they're willing to do so.

With that said, there are many who are court ordered to treatment, who accepted they had a problem, and wanted to quit. The two are not mutually exclusive (and the threat of prison time is also a great motivator).

But they have to buy into wanting to quit somewhere along the way, or it has no chance of working.

I do agree that quitting forever is the goal, but quitting for just a week would be an accomplishment for many.

Worth noting - unfortunately, your family history is far from unique.

You are missing the people who enter a program not motivated to quit that become motivated to quit during the program. One could say that changing that motivation is a large part of what "treatment" is.

There is a common myth that nothing happens until the addict is good and ready to stop. Why your statement and 25's concern me is that they add to a sense of nihilism and passivity from parents and loved ones. It makes it easy to give up if there is nothing you can do.

In reality, interventions, mandated treatment, etc work. Not well, it is a low level of success, but as well as voluntary services. "Raising the bottom" works. That means doing whatever you can to stop enabling so the addict feels more of their consequences and using all your influence to force some kind of treatment.

Show me 2 families where one says, "there is nothing you can do, So and so spent a lot of money on rehab and their kid is still using" and the other that leverages the kids probation officer, college payments and all the family influence possible. The second kids chances are much better. Same with adults afraid of losing their job, their marriage, their families. They create the opportunity, in treament, to understand your disease

I also agree we have to stop seeing success as only sobriety for life. We don't do that with any other disease If someone has a second heart attack, we don't say "what a waste".Denial becomes harder after treatment, even if you immediately get high.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
As far as Mac & cheese kid goes, I would say:

1) He needs some tough love and to stop being enabled by his parents
2) He is not enjoying this. He is sick, in pain and suicidal.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
You are missing the people who enter a program not motivated to quit that become motivated to quit during the program. One could say that changing that motivation is a large part of what "treatment" is.

No. That's actually one of the points I made, but edited it out for brevity.

"But they have to buy into wanting to quit somewhere along the way, or it has no chance of working."

Reaction Score
Your name implies you may live in Florida. You really want a kid going through the bends wandering through your neighborhood?

The kid is sick in a bad way. It's never too late until it's too late. The unfortunate reality for an addict is that "rock bottom" isn't the rational rock bottom that a non-addict can see and avoid. This kid doesn't make the top 1,000,000 for rock bottoms achieved by addicts.

The phrase sick and tired of being sick and tired applies. Until he wants help, none of it matters.

Most of us know or know of people afflicted by opioids and it is horrible. This addiction is so strong that it makes people behave in the most absurd dangerous risky terrible behavior. So the fact that one going through withdrawls would flail his arms, wrassle and make a scene shouldn't phase anyone.

Sure, he can walk my neighborhood, being strung out isn't a crime, and if you knew how many of your neighbors were on drugs and functioning... Is he a risk to do a petty misdemeanor? Sure.

Husky25

Reaction Score
...Bottom line is that if the kid doesn't want "it," "It" won't work. A person in court ordered rehab might come to realize over the course of their stay that it's what is best and continue to work the program afterward...
You are missing the people who enter a program not motivated to quit that become motivated to quit during the program.

The only difference between these two statements is one is yours and one is mine. Gatti was in treatment. He left the facility. Doesn't appear to me to be one of those cases of becoming motivated to quit during the course of a court-order rehab. Does it?

My comment regarding the parents is particular to this case alone. Gatti is from New York State. Yet he's been arrest in Western Massachusetts, Northeast Connecticut, and now Florida. Like it or not, the story was in the newspaper and is part of the public record. Admittedly, there is probably a lot of missing pieces, but lacking any further specific knowledge, I think it is an appropriate question.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Being strung out in public is a crime (degree of enforcement varies) and flailing one's arms and making a scene, while exhibiting withdrawal symptoms is not the common definition of "functional."

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
The only difference between these two statements is one is yours and one is mine. Gatti was in treatment. He left the facility. Doesn't appear to me to be one of those cases of becoming motivated to quit during the course of a court-order rehab. Does it?

My comment regarding the parents is particular to this case alone. Gatti is from New York State. Yet he's been arrest in Western Massachusetts, Northeast Connecticut, and now Florida. Like it or not, the story was in the newspaper and is part of the public record. Admittedly, there is probably a lot of missing pieces, but lacking any further specific knowledge, I think it is an appropriate question.

Agree to disagree. The result of your statement, for many, is don't bother because it won't do any good unless they want "it". I think the difference is more than semantics and I would never tell a parent or spouse what you said.

I don't think we disagree on the parents.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Agree to disagree. The result of your statement, for many, is don't bother because it won't do any good unless they want "it". I think the difference is more than semantics and I would never tell a parent or spouse what you said.

I don't think we disagree on the parents.
B.S. The result of my statement is the result of your statement is the result of Temey's statement. Yet mine "[adds] a sense of "nihilism." Passive aggressive much? Go back to the first page and read what I wrote about an intervention. I never said don't do anything.

At the end of the day, the subject must be accountable at some point during the process (whether it be at the beginning, middle, or end), or else he/she will just go through the motions to appease who he deems are his "authorities." Heck there is a better than average chance someone who "wants it" has a relapse, but someone who doesn't recognize their demons themselves will certainly revert back to old habits.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Sadly, it's just a matter of time before he becomes a statistic. He was ordered into rehab by a judge. He won't take to it until he chooses to get rehabilitated on his own accord.

Not sure why you are getting angry. Not sure why you think we are saying the same thing. Sincerely confused.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Not sure why you are getting angry. Not sure why you think we are saying the same thing. Sincerely confused.
I'm not getting angry, but I don't appreciate the mis-characterization of my statements. I think we are saying the same thing because we are. My post from last night (followed up by the one this morning) could not have been any clearer. I can't help it if you are confused, but I'm not going to repeat myself again. It's all right there for the reading.

Be all that as it may, I'm moving on.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
@temery , this should be the next avatar you impose on someone who doesn't have one:

To be fair, I checked with each user first before changing their avatar. I'd like your suggestion if it weren't for the fact the kid needs some serious help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom