Lyle McCombs no longer part of Football Team | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lyle McCombs no longer part of Football Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What's relevant is Diaco's seriousness with respect to the change in culture at UConn.

"Your football resume is not going to circumvent your academic resume, your social resume, your character resume," he said. "It isn't. You're going to be held no matter who you are, no matter how productive you are, what you bring from a tangible, skill-standpoint, you're going to do it the right way in the areas of your engagement as a student-athlete."

Well stated!!

Reaction Score
Diaco is rebuilding this from the ground up and I expect some more of this. We are probably in for a long season. Progress and development this season will be more important the Ws.

Reaction Score
Diaco is rebuilding this from the ground up and I expect some more of this. We are probably in for a long season. Progress and development this season will be more important the Ws.

I agree on the first part, and not the second. At the risk of ruffling personal feathers, and by no means do I suggest the move made here was intentional for this purpose, by the following I'm going to write - but it does have the purpose, is that this is a POWERFUL management and leadership move. McCombs was an upperclassmen and one of the perceived leaders of this team in the past, by what I can gather.

Most people that have been part of any sort of intense team training, that involves a major leadership change and paradigm shift in goals, work ethic, and most specifically - accountability - individual and group accountability.....well, making sure that the entire operation knows that nobody is above getting axed, establishing that accountability, and expectations for performance is a major, major leadership step.

There can be no doubt, whatsoever, anymore about what kind of expectations there are for UCONN players under Bob Diaco's leadership.

I would bet anything that Diaco has had a team meeting, and made it very, very, very clear, and probably ended the talk with sometthing to the effect - anybody want to quit? Quit now.

There probably will be more attrition, but the way this team is moving forward, we may not win them all, we may not win many this season, but I expect us to play hard nosed competitive and disciplined football never backing down the entire way. With a few good bounces early, and some positive crowd energy and home and maybe a nice winter storm late in teh season - we may get enough going our way to be bowling again.

Reaction Score
A bowl game this season and Diaco has done one hell of a job. Huge, huge unknowns along with major changes in offensive and defensive schemes.

Reaction Score
You don't bash the kids because (a) they are kids; (b) they play at a level all of us can only fantasize about; and (c) unlike Boneyarders, they are unable to defend themselves here. Aside from that, bash away.

And if i read HCBD right, he would disagree with the assessment that everyone gave full out effort. There's a clear message here - the new sherriff town in town wants things done a certain way. Buy in or he will you buy you out.

As for Lyle, I wish him all of the best. Getting the degree is job 1, so congrats there. Hopefully, he finds the next stage of his life full of success.

Reaction Score
Well over 8,000 yards.

10,672 career yards (6th all time nationally), 187 career TDs (3rd all time nationally) to be exact.

I think he can use a year to get acclimated to college, the playbook, and the speed of the game. But if he comes in and wins some of the carries, so be it. With DeLorenzo's development, Marriner primed for touches, and the other guys coming in, I think the RB position will be a strength, if we win at the point of attack.

https://www.facebook.com/ctspeedsch...1401936539./581280081971002/?type=3&the lawer
Newsome with Ansonia HC, Tom Brockett and former Ansonia and Yale standout, Alex Thomas at a recent free youth football camp. Newsome looks bigger. Thomas played professionally in France at 200 Lbs. Newsome looks to be 185-190 heading to Storrs at the end of the month. He'll flourish under the new strength & conditioning staff. He works as hard as anyone in the weightroom.

Thanks for the correction, I got a little lazy and did not report accurately! Lot of miles on Arkeel but most of it is highway mileage! LOL
In addition to Newsome, DeLorenzo and Mariner, we also have Ron Johnson http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9490442 and Bryce McAllister http://www.hudl.com/athlete/863802/brice-mcallister Judging from the highlight reels, McAllister appears to be a better running back. Johnson's 40 was not that impressive and from what I observed, he looks more like a fullback. Anyway, it appears that UCONN will have numerous options in the backfield in 2014. Here is a link to the stats for the prep school league which includes Cheshire Academy, where McAllister played. He lead the league in rushing and points http://www.maxpreps.com/league/xyOMCWIRBUGg8kRRMzcoLA/standings-colonial.htm

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The running game will go back to what it looked like under Edsall. It will feature power and there will be plenty that goes between the tackles. It will attempt to keep defenses honest and set up play action. Exactly 10 minutes after kick-off of the BYU game fans will be complaining that the offense is too predictable and needs to be opened up. I'm not kidding......

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You don't bash the kids because (a) they are kids; (b) they play at a level all of us can only fantasize about; and (c) unlike Boneyarders, they are unable to defend themselves here. Aside from that, bash away.

And if i read HCBD right, he would disagree with the assessment that everyone gave full out effort. There's a clear message here - the new sherriff town in town wants things done a certain way. Buy in or he will you buy you out.

As for Lyle, I wish him all of the best. Getting the degree is job 1, so congrats there. Hopefully, he finds the next stage of his life full of success.

1) No one "bashed" McCombs.
2) He turned 22 almost two months ago. He is hardly a kid. The age card should only be played with recruits, IMO.
3) Michael Vick played at a level we can only fantasize about. It didn't stop a Virginia judge from tossing him in jail. Actions have consequences unless you play for Florida State (Even then, I expect Winston to cross the wrong person and pay dearly).
4) Coming off a 3-9 season these guys have bigger fish to fry, whether they are on the team or were dismissed for whatever reason.

Agree the your second two sentences.

Reaction Score
The question was posed - why is it ok to bash boneyarders and not players. I responded to that Q and was not suggesting there was (not) bashing of Lyle.

We'll agree to disagree on when you can bash boys/men still in school.

No idea where the Vick reference came from, but apparently you have issues with him.

And I completely disagree with your slamming of FSU. That school can only dream of a day when they lower themselves to the level of Louisville!

Husky25

Reaction Score
The question was posed - why is it ok to bash boneyarders and not players. I responded to that Q and was not suggesting there was (not) bashing of Lyle.

Then you took the question out of context. Boneyarders defending themselves has nothing to Sportsart's original comments.

My point is 1) players are in the public eye and are not above constructive criticism at this level.
2) The same decorum should be extended to a fellow boneyarder as to a player or player's relative.
3) Given the posts up to that point, the friendly reminder was not yet necessary.

That said, this is not a productive argument. That is my last word on the subject.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Then you took the question out of context. Boneyarders defending themselves has nothing to Sportsart's original comments.

So you've decided to make this thread all about you and not the OP.

Let me put it so simply, even you can understand. It's about respect. Respect for Lyle and his father who reads and contributes to this board.

My comment was directed at a poster who brought up Lyle's personal life. That, IMHO, does no good and is not needed. There are consequences for our actions and Lyle paid the price. For someone, not you, to say they were basically glad he was gone....boggles the mind.

Why not wish him well, congrats on the degree and move on?

Gioff is right...we can defend ourselves on here. Discussing someone's character, where they can not defend themselves is just not right.

I was always taught if you have nothing good to say, don't say anything. Again, it's about respect.

By the way....could you do a background check on yourself and post the results for us to see? Thanks in advance.

For those who think it's because I know players parents so I can't be impartial you will find out this is not the case. Lyle's dad was the last parent I knew on the team. But going forward I will always stand up for the players. Glass houses.....

Husky25

Reaction Score
Let me put it so simply, even you can understand. It's about respect...

I thought I was done, but apparently you want to prolong this discussion...by getting personal...

How do you reconcile these two sentences? You call me stupid (for at least the second time) and then mention respect? You don't even know me!!

I did and so did the poster in question. You chose to read around that and get offended when it wasn't your turn to be offended.

By the way....could you do a background check on yourself and post the results for us to see? Thanks in advance.

There ain't nothin' there to get your panties in a twist over. I have a job, a house, good credit, and a family. I've made my share of questionable decisions, but I've never been arrested or have any major regrets. I've dealt with any consequences of my actions to date, learned from them, and have moved on. I'm also, by choice, not at the level of public eye that goes along with being a Division 1 FBS college football player.

Thanks for your concern.

Reaction Score

Let me put it so simply, even you can understand. It's about respect. Respect for Lyle and his father who reads and contributes to this board.

My comment was directed at a poster who brought up Lyle's personal life. That, IMHO, does no good and is not needed. There are consequences for our actions and Lyle paid the price. For someone, not you, to say they were basically glad he was gone....boggles the mind.

Gioff is right...we can defend ourselves on here. Discussing someone's character, where they can not defend themselves is just not right.

I was always taught if you have nothing good to say, don't say anything. Again, it's about respect.

For those who think it's because I know players parents so I can't be impartial you will find out this is not the case. Lyle's dad was the last parent I knew on the team. But going forward I will always stand up for the players. Glass houses.....

I think there's a middle ground here and not everything is black and white.

I don't think people should go out of their way to bash LM.

But I also think it's ridiculous to not expect people to discuss his background given Diaco's comments.

I don't buy the glass houses and keep your mouths shut just because LM's father posts here. They're D1 football players in the public eye. I say all of this with the utmost respect for Puppy4.

I wish Lyle and his dad nothing but the best. Hopefully Lyle will learn from his mistakes as he moves on in life. That's really all I have to say on the matter.

Reaction Score

I guess I should chime in here and clarify. I'm not happy that Lyle has had problems in his past nor do I find it satisfying, like some personal vendetta, that he was tossed off the team. My point was that he has had some very PUBLIC mistakes during his tenure and he is now being met with the very real and appropriate consequences for those actions. No glass house here, I've made mistakes and I've paid for them with real world consequences. I won't outline them here for you publicly because I'm not in the public eye. He is. He plays for my Alma mater and is held to standards set by them. PP did not address those broken standards. HCBD has now dealt with them appropriately and is now moving forward in the right direction IMO.

I am moving on, by agreeing and stating that this is a decision I agree with and believe is for the best of the program. I can move on, the program can move on, and Lyle can move on but not with this team. Again, I wish Lyle the very best and hope he does get his degree and becomes successful with his life.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
When they get aarrested for something.

I'd even give them a bit more slack. It's the first f-up after the arrest. Even good kids can have one misdemeanor lapse in judgement. But once they go before the judge and get their wrists slapped, youth going bye-bye is part of the sentence.

I'll go down this cobra hole. That's why several people, myself included, were irritated with TO on the basketball team. He kept repeating the same mistakes and was hurting the team by his repeated actions.

Reaction Score
I think there's a middle ground here and not everything is black and white.

I don't think people should go out of their way to bash LM.

But I also think it's ridiculous to not expect people to discuss his background given Diaco's comments.

I don't buy the glass houses and keep your mouths shut just because LM's father posts here. They're D1 football players in the public eye. I say all of this with the utmost respect for Puppy4.

I wish Lyle and his dad nothing but the best. Hopefully Lyle will learn from his mistakes as he moves on in life. That's really all I have to say on the matter.

I never said keep your mouth shut. But you go ahead..

This is who I directed my post at, but unfortunately I did not quote him at the time. There was just no need for it. Especially from a drive by newbie.

I get that Lyle has been our leading rusher for the past 3 years, but if you're an actual UConn fan and have watched the games are you really sad to see him go? Don't get me wrong best of luck to him and hope he does graduate, but this is a decision I'm happy HCBD made.

1). When PP allowed Lyle to play the day or two after he was arrested it was a huge embarrassment to the program IMO
2). The dude had more negative runs than anyone I've ever watched play the game
3). He has been disciplined on MULTIPLE occasions

This seems to be HCBD continuing to clean house and move the program forward positively. I don't feel at all that we'll have a drop off because Delo is a better back IMO. Plus, Mariner and Newsome competing to get on the field has to produce some yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom