Lyle McCombs no longer part of Football Team | The Boneyard

Lyle McCombs no longer part of Football Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@JohnFSilver: RB Lyle McCombs is no longer a part of the UConn FB team. Will graduate this summer.

Reaction Score
@EdDaigneault: UConn coach Bob Diaco said being at UConn is a privilege but "with that privilege also come certain responsibilities and expectations."

@JohnFSilver: As far as McCombs. University decision. McCombs will graduate and has scholarship to complete degree.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Say congrats to Lyle for finishing his degree, thanks for the memories, and it's time for some younger backs to carry the pig.

Go Huskies!
Classy post Carl. That should be everyone's first thought. Granted mine was "WTF! What happened?!!" but we should all be happy that Lyle got his degree and appreciative for his past efforts. I wish him nothing but the best.

Getting 6 wins just got a bit harder. Still I trust Diaco. I'm sure Lyle's departure sends a message.

Last edited:

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Remember the HCBD quote when he basically said he couldn't tell the Srs from thr Frs? I immediately thought of McCombs for some reason.

Best of luck to the kid - Huskies forever...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Remember the HCBD quote when he basically said he couldn't tell the Srs from thr Frs? I immediately thought of McCombs for some reason.

Best of luck to the kid - Huskies forever...
I thought of Xavier Hemingway. The guy seemed to not be able to put on weight. A 250 lb. lineman does not an FBS offensive tackle make. What's the similarity? Neither will be on the field come August (albeit for different reasons).

Reaction Score
Congrats to Lyle for getting his degree. It's sad to seem him go after toughing it out with the previous regime, but with Delorenzo carrying the ball better and Johnson and Newsome coming in, I don't think McCombs would have gotten many carries outside of situational opportunities.

Reaction Score
Can Lyle transfer and play somewhere else immediately with that weird senior with eligibility remaining rule?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Congratulations on getting his degree.

Can't say that I'm surprised. It's always hard for the fourth and fifth year players with a degree in hand and little chance of playing pro ball to come back. It takes a ton of commitment to play D1 football and for most it's not worth it anymore.

Reaction Score
Congratulations on getting his degree.

Can't say that I'm surprised. It's always hard for the fourth and fifth year players with a degree in hand and little chance of playing pro ball to come back. It takes a ton of commitment to play D1 football and for most it's not worth it anymore.

"UConn coach Bob Diaco said 'being at UConn is a privilege but with that privilege also come certain responsibilities and expectations.'"

Sounds like he didn't have a choice.

Reaction Score
McCombs had a few issues in the past, so this isn't a huge surprise. Congratulations to him on his degree and good luck to him in the future.

With any luck, someone is ready to step up and be the guy. Or maybe a few guys. Either way.

Reaction Score
I get that Lyle has been our leading rusher for the past 3 years, but if you're an actual UConn fan and have watched the games are you really sad to see him go? Don't get me wrong best of luck to him and hope he does graduate, but this is a decision I'm happy HCBD made.

1). When PP allowed Lyle to play the day or two after he was arrested it was a huge embarrassment to the program IMO
2). The dude had more negative runs than anyone I've ever watched play the game
3). He has been disciplined on MULTIPLE occasions

This seems to be HCBD continuing to clean house and move the program forward positively. I don't feel at all that we'll have a drop off because Delo is a better back IMO. Plus, Mariner and Newsome competing to get on the field has to produce some yards.

Reaction Score
Sucks. Anyone want to guess why they waited this late? Or was it late?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
We all know Lyle's dad is a member of this community. Let's just wish Lyle the best and keep our comments to a thank you and good luck type message.

Even if his dad wasn't a member, we should keep things positive. Glass houses people....
Why post something like this without impetus? Where is the negative personal post? Every one so far has been at least neutral with a lot of will wishes. In fact, the most negative sentiment was from McCombs' former head coach.

Just an odd pre-emptive post in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Lyle, good luck to you, I welcomed you when you visited for the spring game before your freshman year and I wish you the best going forward! Lyle Sr. hope you still make it up for some games it was always a good time at the tailgate with you there!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
"UConn coach Bob Diaco said 'being at UConn is a privilege but with that privilege also come certain responsibilities and expectations.'"

Sounds like he didn't have a choice.

Well, you could say he had the choice to meet those responsibilities and expectations. And that was my point about graduating players sticking around. Usually when a new coach comes from outside the program they shake things up and change the routine. The new/different routine may be more than the veterans are willing to deal with so they cut strings. All speculation of course.

Reaction Score
Wow!, didn't expect this.
But this is what is it is, but Coach D is right there are expectations.
Thanks to all the Yardees, for the well wishes, and the not so well wishes.
Thankful Nike will be able to finish school, he owes the University and the fans a great debt.

This doesn't change the way I feel about the University, the football program or the Huskies fans.
I wish them well, and hopefully the program gets back on track to winning and a power conference.

U-C-O-N-N, UCONN, UCONN, UCONN!!

Thanks for all the great memories.
GRRRRRR!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members