LV's vs. DePaul. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

LV's vs. DePaul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think Bass played about 1 minute in the 1st half and then played the last 7 minutes of the game.

Reaction Score
I think Bass played about 1 minute in the 1st half and then played the last 7 minutes of the game.

Thanks, that what I thought.

I can't ever recall a Tenn player getting as little playing time as she does. Given TN's penchant for a long bench, this tells me she's not very good.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

I had stopped watching. Just looked at the Yahoo boxscore. ESPN is pathetic. They broadcast the game and can't provide a complete box score in a timely manner?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Thanks, that what I thought.

I can't ever recall a Tenn player getting as little playing time as she does. Given TN's penchant for a long bench, this tells me she's not very good.
Please don't call her "terrible".

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The 1st alternative to Simmons at the point was Stricklen as we knew would be the case. The leash on Simmons is very short. The coaches seem unwilling to allow Simmons to play through her mistakes like they did last year.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The Good
They won by 20+ points.
Manning was great off the bench.
They held Depaul to 30% FGs and 25% 3pt FGs.
They forced 26 TOs
They took 35 foul shots and made 26.

But you can't put lipstick on a pig and expect everyone to gush over them.

The Bad
8 assists and 20 TO's is just awful.
Depaul is really not very good.
The replacement PG, Simmons, had 1 assist and 4 turnovers.
The first PG off the bench, Bass, played a minute and had no assists and 1 TO,
Vickie Baugh had 6 points and ZERO rebounds.
They only outrebounded a mediocre rebounding team 41-38.
They were 0-5 on 3s.

I don't get what you expect from the posters here. Let the visiting Tennessee fans tell us what was good about Tennessee.
I knew I would pull you out of your lurking mood, never fails :cool:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
You will have to excuse DC. He is not himself when it comes to things after a Tennessee game. And no offense, DC. It's just true.

this is against anybody... play with what you have. I dont care for phantom fouls, the refs, if so and so wasnt hurt, blah blah blah. PLAY BALL.

frick that "what if" crap

BTW I see that you just couldnt take it anymore, had to say something (love it)!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The Good
They won by 20+ points.
Manning was great off the bench.
They held Depaul to 30% FGs and 25% 3pt FGs.
They forced 26 TOs
They took 35 foul shots and made 26.

geesh you follow them closer than I do, but thanks anyways!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Odd, you got facts and analysis, DC, and offered nothing in return but mockery. HOw about some of your own excuse-free analysis?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
this is against anybody... play with what you have. I dont care for phantom fouls, the refs, if so and so wasnt hurt, blah blah blah. PLAY BALL.

BTW I see that you just couldnt take it anymore, had to say something (love it)!

Wow. I simply responded to Eric's observation that DePaul is not as talented this year. I agreed, but thought it fair to point out that three players (turns out it's four), including a Big East award winner last year, were injured on the bench. I made a similar point yesterday that I didn't expect Tennessee to be as good a team without Massengale. Since when is pointing out the impact of injuries deemed excuse-making? Maybe in your mind, but not mine.

Reaction Score
How scared DePaul looked in this game, surprised me. Instead of attacking the pressure they were just throwing the ball around. Credit TN for the good aggressive defense. Manning was impressive however anyone who thinks Simmons can be an effective PG is clearly off.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Homer? It's Brooke Weisbrod, who has done some UConn games, and played for the CT Sun I think.

You may be right regarding Brooke...but she was a little bit much regarding TN and their chances of winning a national championship, and TN playing for a higher purpose (Pat), and Massengale this, Simmons this, and Strictland that...it was probably just me because I find any commentator who gushes about TN nauseating.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Cferr I gotta agree with you. Where did Brooke get the idea that TN is a FF team. They havent shown it to me yet, even with Massingale. I still cant figure it out. All that talent and they struggle. DePaul was without 4 players and Depaul was still in it. A terrible game to watch. Depaul with so many unforced turnovers, bad passes and the announcers saying great defense. There wasnt any defense just a very poor offense. I wouldve liked to see a healthly Depaul play today.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

People were offering their opinions of the game they watched while you were offering opinions of the posters. I'm not sure that's helping the conversation.

Reaction Score
Where did Brooke get the idea that TN is a FF team.

Whether you think they'll get there or not, there's no doubt that the Vols are a contender.

And they are the only team to stay with Baylor pretty much until the end.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Here's a quote from Rick Insell MTSU coach about Tennessee "I knew they'd be ready to play. I mean good gracious. You know championship teams (what Tennessee aspires to be). We've got our sights set on winning championships, too, but we're not at the level that Tennessee's at. You've got to come and play every night. Tonight they came and played Middle Tennessee. That run that they made, I think if you'll look back, Pat took out some of her players. I think Massengale might have been sitting on the bench and maybe Johnson at one time when they made that run. The kids that they bring in are so good. I said this before to my coaches; I say this to ya'll. When they shoot the basketball, they got a shot to win the national championship, if they shoot the basketball, if they knock down shots, but of course if you live by that, you also die by it, but they're as athletic, as good as anybody in the country that I've seen, and I've seen most of them either last year on TV, this year so far. When they shoot the basketball, it matters not."

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Here's a quote from Rick Insell MTSU coach about Tennessee "I knew they'd be ready to play. I mean good gracious. You know championship teams (what Tennessee aspires to be). We've got our sights set on winning championships, too, but we're not at the level that Tennessee's at. You've got to come and play every night. Tonight they came and played Middle Tennessee. That run that they made, I think if you'll look back, Pat took out some of her players. I think Massengale might have been sitting on the bench and maybe Johnson at one time when they made that run. The kids that they bring in are so good. I said this before to my coaches; I say this to ya'll. When they shoot the basketball, they got a shot to win the national championship, if they shoot the basketball, if they knock down shots, but of course if you live by that, you also die by it, but they're as athletic, as good as anybody in the country that I've seen, and I've seen most of them either last year on TV, this year so far. When they shoot the basketball, it matters not."

Heck... the same thing can be said for a number of teams. If Duke shoots well.... they are a Final 4 type team... if Maryland shoots well.... they can book a trip to Denver, if Miami shoots well .... then they have a legit shot at the Final 4.

That being said... I agree with the coach from MTSU. If Tenn shoots well.... then they definitely are a Final 4 Contender :p

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
Cferr I gotta agree with you. Where did Brooke get the idea that TN is a FF team. They havent shown it to me yet, even with Massingale. I still cant figure it out. All that talent and they struggle. DePaul was without 4 players and Depaul was still in it. A terrible game to watch. Depaul with so many unforced turnovers, bad passes and the announcers saying great defense. There wasnt any defense just a very poor offense. I wouldve liked to see a healthly Depaul play today.
TN has looked bad at times but so have all the other top teams including UCONN. I think all the teams in the top 10 have the potential to make it to the final 4. As Texas A&M and Notre Dame showed us last year it all comes down to how the team gels late in the season. Also injuries and match ups will be crucial.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Wow. I simply responded to Eric's observation that DePaul is not as talented this year. I agreed, but thought it fair to point out that three players (turns out it's four), including a Big East award winner last year, were injured on the bench. I made a similar point yesterday that I didn't expect Tennessee to be as good a team without Massengale. Since when is pointing out the impact of injuries deemed excuse-making? Maybe in your mind, but not mine.
that's totally fair Cat. i do not follow Depaul that much and was not aware who was injured or what not. maybe they will be better later in the year if some of those kids come back?

Reaction Score
I agree Tenn is a good team. BUT shouldn't they be really really good given the talent they have and the hightly touted senior class they have? I mean they should be much much better and not have to rely on a freshman PG to lead them! JMO

Reaction Score
I agree Tenn is a good team. BUT shouldn't they be really really good given the talent they have and the hightly touted senior class they have? I mean they should be much much better and not have to rely on a freshman PG to lead them! JMO

I assume you're forgetting that UConn relied on a freshman point guard and a freshman center last year?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yes, but the difference is that Geno bemoaned that fact all year. He definitely didn't tout Bria and Stef before they got there as potential saviors of the program or say they would start right away, the way Pat did with Massengale.

And while you can argue that UConn's starting five were as good as anyone in the country last year, their bench certainly wasn't. And relying on freshmen eventually caught up with them late in season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom