Lukas Kisunas Commits to UConn | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Lukas Kisunas Commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ESPN just created a profile for him and they made him a 4*

Lukas Kisunas - Basketball Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN
Also, I think Scout has him rated at 146, but their player rankings page only goes up to 100. Got this image from the article here: FIBA U18 A: Lithuania’s Lukas Kisunas impresses at European Championships, has college options

Capture.PNG

pj

Reaction Score
While he may not be a shooter, from his videos it seemed like he can be a viable option on the pick and roll, as he can screen, knows to move aggressively to the hoop, has good hands to catch the ball on his way to the hoop, and looked to be able to finish around the basket. With that and scoring after offensive rebounds and via free throws (if he can shoot free throws, and get defenders off balance to draw fouls), he'd be a good complement on offense who could open up room for the guards.

Reaction Score
Like the Sellers analogy certainly one of the 4 year players I think about when people look at video and find little to be happy about. But KEA, can't really throw him in there as he was ranked 19th I believe and was a McD's AA I think. But as far as size and heart he was the guy.

Correct. He was a McD AA and was highly recruited. And his BB IQ was off the charts.

Reaction Score
Correct. He was a McD AA and was highly recruited. And his BB IQ was off the charts.

As was his skill... The intangibles were so vast that we sometimes forget that the dude could really, really ball. He was actually an excellent screener, too. Underrated aspect of being a human fire hydrant.

Reaction Score
And here is the Insider scouting report, ICYWW:

ESPN Analyst
Updated 10/04/2017

Strengths:
Kisunas is a rugged and physical post presence who throws his body around and embraces contact on both ends of the floor. He's a very well-schooled and savvy screener and also a good passer who rewards cutters. He has good hands, polished footwork, and the ability to turn either shoulder when able to establish deep position in the post. Defensively, he is effective guarding the block and an enforcer of sorts in the lane who punishes drivers, makes good use of his fouls, and rebounds his area.

Weaknesses:
He doesn't have a ton of lift in the lane, isn't a floor spacer offensively, and probably most comfortable as a complimenting piece offensively. He's much more of an enforcer in the lane than rim protector on the defensive end. Offensively, he's not much of a scoring threat beyond six feet or so and isn't an overly quick or instinctive finisher either.

Bottom Line:
His physicality, toughness, screening, post defense, and even his ability to pass, can impact the game at any level and so he can definitely be a valuable role player. What he isn't though is a volume scorer or dynamic athlete around the rim.
Perfect. Exactly what we need. As I said a few pages back just surround him with a couple good ballhandlers and a couple good shooters and go to work.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Huge issue (and Mau I know this is your arena) is how tall he really is... 6-8 with little lift/athleticism is quite different than 6-10 with little lift/athleticism.

More importantly, what's his reach?

pj

Reaction Score
More importantly, what's his reach?

Standing reach 8'9" from 3 posts up ... his arms are a bit short, expected standing reach for 6'10" would be about 9'.

Last edited:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
And here is the Insider scouting report, ICYWW:

ESPN Analyst
Updated 10/04/2017

Strengths:
Kisunas is a rugged and physical post presence who throws his body around and embraces contact on both ends of the floor. He's a very well-schooled and savvy screener and also a good passer who rewards cutters. He has good hands, polished footwork, and the ability to turn either shoulder when able to establish deep position in the post. Defensively, he is effective guarding the block and an enforcer of sorts in the lane who punishes drivers, makes good use of his fouls, and rebounds his area.

Weaknesses:
He doesn't have a ton of lift in the lane, isn't a floor spacer offensively, and probably most comfortable as a complimenting piece offensively. He's much more of an enforcer in the lane than rim protector on the defensive end. Offensively, he's not much of a scoring threat beyond six feet or so and isn't an overly quick or instinctive finisher either.

Bottom Line:
His physicality, toughness, screening, post defense, and even his ability to pass, can impact the game at any level and so he can definitely be a valuable role player. What he isn't though is a volume scorer or dynamic athlete around the rim.
As far as not being a scoring threat "from more than 6 feet" that can be a bit misleading. Since he has "polished footwork" and can establish position deep in the post and can shoot/finish with either hand he might be quite a handful for anyone down low. If he is double teamed add the fact that he is a good passer and can kick out and it looks like a nice piece for an inside/outside offense. Based on this and the positive comments he looks like heaven sent to me. We did not recruit him as a three point threat. If he only gets to maybe the foul line for a mid range shot
that would be plenty given all the rest he has to offer. Think Jeff Adrien. Really excited about this young man and all the other talent the staff has put together. When Uconn is having a good, even if growing bb season, the winter is really exciting instead of a drag. Ends in March: Just in time for Spring!

Reaction Score

Maybe it's the former Beavis & Butt-Head fan in me but doesn't the photographer of Kisunas look like he's got a huge bo ner on that pic?

boingoingoing-oingoingoingoing-thumb.jpg

Regardless, it's fun to not be depressed looking at this site again. I think we are finally getting back to the toughness that is UConn Basketball like my message board signature says!!! UCONN TOUGH!!!

Reaction Score
While he may not be a shooter, from his videos it seemed like he can be a viable option on the pick and roll, as he can screen, knows to move aggressively to the hoop, has good hands to catch the ball on his way to the hoop, and looked to be able to finish around the basket. With that and scoring after offensive rebounds and via free throws (if he can shoot free throws, and get defenders off balance to draw fouls), he'd be a good complement on offense who could open up room for the guards.

I don't recall him at the line much last year at Brewster, but 16 of 24 from the line in the 7 game Euro championships including a 6 for 6 in one game and 5 of 7 in another. Suggests more that he doesn't shoot vs he can't shoot. I also love the intangibles of anchoring the middle on a 33-0 National Champion, and playing important minutes in the post for teams that advanced to high finishes in Euro play. Coupling his team achievements, with his statements admiring UConn Championships, and his statements oriented to winning, I think we have added a great foundational piece to the program. With Sid we have 2 of the 5 starters on that 33-0 team, (down from 3 of the 5). With all our wing athletes, I hadn't been thinking about Carlton and Lucas on the court at the same time until somebody posted that thought. I find that intriguing. Also amusing that a ESPN 4* ranking will influence how some posters will view this signing vs a couple days ago.

Reaction Score
I don't recall him at the line much last year at Brewster, but 16 of 24 from the line in the 7 game Euro championships including a 6 for 6 in one game and 5 of 7 in another. Suggests more that he doesn't shoot vs he can't shoot. I also love the intangibles of anchoring the middle on a 33-0 National Champion, and playing important minutes in the post for teams that advanced to high finishes in Euro play. Coupling his team achievements, with his statements admiring UConn Championships, and his statements oriented to winning, I think we have added a great foundational piece to the program. With Sid we have 2 of the 5 starters on that 33-0 team, (down from 3 of the 5). With all our wing athletes, I hadn't been thinking about Carlton and Lucas on the court at the same time until somebody posted that thought. I find that intriguing. Also amusing that a ESPN 4* ranking will influence how some posters will view this signing vs a couple days ago.
Nope still think of it as a reach, actually slipped from 303 to 305 since the commit on 247 sports Composite rankings, but this is who we presently can recruit up front. We aren't getting any center that is very good because of lack of development of our big men the last few years and our present standing in college basketball. As the ESPN summary mentions he will be a good role player and not the person that the offense will flow through. I personally see him as a backup to Josh Carlton who i prefer at center presently.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nope still think of it as a reach but this is who we presently can recruit up front. We aren't getting any center that is very good because of lack of development of big men the last few years and our present standing in college basketball. As the ESPN summary mentions he will be a good role player and not the person that the offense will flow through. I personally see him as a backup to Josh Carlton who i prefer at center presently.

Since you’ve seen both of them play, what is it about ones game over the other?

Reaction Score
Since you’ve seen both of them play, what is it about ones game over the other?
From the videos I have seen I see a more athletic player who has some quicker post moves. He also seems to be a better shot blocker. I see both players of having good fundamentals especially passing. JC doesn't have the muscle that Kisunas has but I believe with a year under under his belt with our strength coach he will be able to battle down low.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Spinzone: chief is actually KO
No, he was around when KO was still in the league. I remember his going ballistic when a report out came saying they were going to build a parking garage at The Rent. It was never built so maybe he does have some influence.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Perfect. Exactly what we need. As I said a few pages back just surround him with a couple good ballhandlers and a couple good shooters and go to work.
That was one of the worst issues he last few years. Bigs with terrible hands who could not finish near the hoop. Sounds like we are getting the opposite. P

Reaction Score
247 only has rankings on him from 2 of the 4 services. Ignore the composite.
Even with ignoring the ranking I noticed that he seems to be a solid but not a spectacular player. I'm a lot higher on Josh Carlton than this kid but understand why people are happy with the pickup. Either way if KO doesn't do well this year this could be the normal type of recruit we see on the team going forward.

Reaction Score
Even with ignoring the ranking I noticed that he seems to be a solid but not a spectacular player. I'm a lot higher on Josh Carlton than this kid but understand why people are happy with the pickup. Either way if KO doesn't do well this year this could be the normal type of recruit we see on the team going forward.

I think you are underating what this kid brings to the table. He is smart, passes out of the post well, has a legit low post game, isn't afraid to bang.

The rankings favor lots of things that don't necessarily translate to winning. Although very different players, I see some of the same impact that a Neils Giffey had. He just plays winning basketball.

Reaction Score
I think you are underating what this kid brings to the table. He is smart, passes out of the post well, has a legit low post game, isn't afraid to bang.

The rankings favor lots of things that don't necessarily translate to winning. Although very different players, I see some of the same impact that a Neils Giffey had. He just plays winning basketball.
Nothing against the kid I just prefer more athletic bigs in the style of play I like to watch. He looked really slow in his offensive moves in the raw tape which I don't want to see after having to watch AB for 4 years. LOL!

If this kid can come in and defensively rebound and set good picks than I'm fine with him on the bench. I just hope we can find a more talented starter is my hope.

Reaction Score
Nothing against the kid I just prefer more athletic bigs in the style of play I like to watch. He looked really slow in his offensive moves in the raw tape which I don't want to see after having to watch AB for 4 years. LOL!

If this kid can come in and defensively rebound and set good picks than I'm fine with him on the bench. I just hope we can find a more talented starter is my hope.

I will grant you the raw tape was not overly impressive. But more recent tape shows a stronger, more explosive player. Read the quotes from the Brewster head coach. He directly attributes winning championships to this kid's contributions. Winning trumps sizzle for me.

When is the last time we had a kid who could bang down low, had a legit low post game AND could pass real well? I am excited to have this kid on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom