Lukas Kisunas Commits to UConn | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Lukas Kisunas Commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
"Kisunas isn't a reach, he's just not the kind of guy that the morons who give ratings like. He doesn't jump out of the gym, but he knows how to play. Every year we watch an Ivy team made up of guys almost entirely like this give some #1 or #2 seed absolute fits. Surround those kids with better athletes, like we have, and their basketball skill set and knack for doing the little things is magnified".

Excellent insight. I can't wait to see what he can do with the Uconn staff and working out with the team. Fundamentally sound from the get-go.

Reaction Score
good get. I like this class. Although no 5 star recruits, I feel much better about the future...completely different feeling from April/May

Reaction Score
Video is from his jr year at Brewster. He looked a little too deliberate near the basket. Need to be strong and decisive with interior moves. All reports Are that he added height and weight this year. He also has another year of development before putting on a UConn uniform.

Think he will only fit in the "accidental" game plan....Offensive tips and rolls to the hoop. Don't see his low post game being a focal point of the offense...In a worse case scenerio, he's a great banger in practice

Reaction Score
What doesn’t everyone get? Kisunas didn’t play AAU. Rankings are based, for the most part, on AAU play at camps. Rankings don’t mean much anyway, except for the gifted few.

This kid is going to be perfect in a couple of seasons.

All of this is correct, but AAU play and evaluation would be a better indicator of whether he can handle the speed of high D1 basketball. Fundamentals and skills are clearly there, but whether that will translate is a bit of an unknown. I'm encouraged by the fact that he has multiple offers from high major programs.

Reaction Score
There is no way he will get stripped more than our recent bigs. He at least has strength and good hands and can pass out of the post (Carlton can do this also). This is the type of big we need. For several years we have had guys like brimah who if the ball gets passed to him in the post will immediately panic and throw up a shot if he doesn’t turn the ball over first. Now we are going to have guys like Carlton and Lukas who can actually think and make a good decision if they catch the ball down low. For the type of basketball uconn is trying to play, this is an upgrade.
The one thing I didn't like is that he brings the ball down and dribbles a lot in traffic. This isn't going to fly in the AAC. It isn't that he has worst hands than AB it is that he brings the ball down low a lot, probably to gather and go up since he has limited ups. He will have to learn to keep the ball high and just pass out if he can't make a quick move instead of dribbling.

Reaction Score
The one thing I didn't like is that he brings the ball down and dribbles a lot in traffic. This isn't going to fly in the AAC. It isn't that he has worst hands than AB it is that he brings the ball down low a lot, probably to gather and go up since he has limited ups. He will have to learn to keep the ball high and just pass out if he can't make a quick move instead of dribbling.

Gee, I saw the opposite when watching his video. When he went right back up, he kept the ball up. The only time the ball came down was to make a move. I thought his footwork was pretty good. I'm happy with this commit.

Reaction Score
This thread is depressing. So many things exposed about our fans, they don't remember where most of our 3-4 year players started in impact and skill set in the JC days. Matthews and Kisunas are ahead on the scale for so many 4 year people who turned out to be key components of our winning history. It's not tough to see how good both of these guys can and will be with another year of High School, and then some hard work at UConn.

Crazy stuff!!! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Im watching the raw footage video and was confused. Big men are allowed to pass the ball?

He's so far ahead of a couple of our last bigs in that area with another year of HS its amazing. And moving his feet on D, not sure how some call him slow because while he's certainly not fast the key I see is he understands the game. Heck he even intercepted a pass they tried to throw by him while coming to help. Our big guy(s) had passes whizzing by his arms when coming to help late for 4 years. Elevation? overrated if you're tough, hold your ground and rebound. Agree he needs to hold down the fort then turn and box out but to think all guys who can elevate over him will score all the time is crazy. I would much rather have a guy who stays on the floor and doesn't elevate, put his hands up while not giving to much space and then fighting for what will be a rebound most of the time than a guy who's thinking block the shot and isn't close to fighting for a rebound when he takes himself out to the play.

Reaction Score
Gee, I saw the opposite when watching his video. When he went right back up, he kept the ball up. The only time the ball came down was to make a move. I thought his footwork was pretty good. I'm happy with this commit.
Re-watch the raw video again as he brought it down quite often while getting stripped a couple times. His post moves are so slow that it makes it susceptible to being stripped.

If he comes in there with the attitude of doing the dirty work of setting screens and defensive rebounding then he will do fine. I just don't see much on the offensive side from him besides tip ins and some pick and roll lay-ups. Again a good pick-up but one that has you scratching your head especially during the fall recruiting period.

Reaction Score
I really like this kid and im thrilled with this class.
I guess recruiting has really changed when we are excited by composite recruiting number 101, 173 and 303 joining us. It sucks we aren't even sniffing the top 50 recruits. I know these guys fit a role on the team but these aren't the normal recruits we were getting even when we got DHAM, Adams and Gilbert.
These seem like solid guys who will contribute for atleast 3 years. You add 3 4 or 5* top 100 kids in 2019 class and youve got a team that historically has had a big season. In 2003 we got commitments from a 4* and 3 3* which isnt that impressive but those guys would play a big part in our title run in 2004 and go on to win a ton of games over 4 years. The recruits were Shad, Hilton, Denham and Marcus White.

C

Chief00

We should make a blaze jar for you. Every time you say the word blaze, you have to put in a dollar and when you're on to your next idiosyncratic talking point, we can give it all to a charity of your choice. We could do some real good here.

I love the posters who are stuck on things that did not work. We had to come up with a strategy that counteracted the scandal schools - but did not participate with them. I think we hit a home run with Blaze.

Reaction Score
I love Jake, one of my favorite Huskies of all time. He was a huge part of that first championship.

However, this kid is light years ahead offensively. He has form and touch and is a real smart player. If he can score 5 or 6 as a freshman and contribute in lots of other ways that would be great. He looks like a building block to me, a great complimentary player on a team with a couple of stars. I think his ceiling is Jakeish with a bit more star power.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm not overly concerned about the rankings. Way more concerned with the offers. Pitt and Virginia are a pretty good indication the kid has higher level game than his rankings would indicate.

We had a lot of holes we needed to fill due to transfers and guys potentially leaving early. Not at all upset with filling out our roster - this year - with some under the radar guys.

Next year we'll be telling. That's when it's going to be critical to land some high end talent to take our roster to the next level.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Ok! Clearly I'm missing something. Someone help me sort this out. At this point - ASSUMING NO ONE LEAVES AFTER THIS YEAR - the 2018-19 roster would include Seniors Adams, Cobb (RS), and Larrier (RS); Juniors Gilbert, Diarra, Vital and Williams; Sophs Polley, Williams, and Carlton: And Freshmen Akinjo, Matthews, Kisaunas, and Wilson (RS). That's 14, isn't it? Are we expecting someone to leave early? Are we still recruiting Carey, Shittu, etc.?

Reaction Score
Are we expecting someone to leave early?

Yes. Larrier has been pretty transparent about probably leaving after graduating this year and Adams has the possibility of being drafted.

Reaction Score
All of this is correct, but AAU play and evaluation would be a better indicator of whether he can handle the speed of high D1 basketball. Fundamentals and skills are clearly there, but whether that will translate is a bit of an unknown. I'm encouraged by the fact that he has multiple offers from high major programs.

I disagree about AAU. None of those teams play defense (for the most part). Playing for Brewster and in nepsac is a better barometer

Reaction Score
Welcome aboard young lad. Get ready to throw some weight around and Congratulations on the most recent smart choice of your budding career - great play, Lukas, great play.

Reaction Score
I love Jake, one of my favorite Huskies of all time. He was a huge part of that first championship.

However, this kid is light years ahead offensively. He has form and touch and is a real smart player. If he can score 5 or 6 as a freshman and contribute in lots of other ways that would be great. He looks like a building block to me, a great complimentary player on a team with a couple of stars. I think his ceiling is Jakeish with a bit more star power.
I hate to stereotype to his country but don't guys like this often shoot the 3?

Reaction Score
My guess is he will be a good player for us but people using a Pitt offer as some sort of barometer of good he is cracks me up. Pitt's program is an epic disaster right now.

Reaction Score
I really like this kid and im thrilled with this class.

These seem like solid guys who will contribute for atleast 3 years. You add 3 4 or 5* top 100 kids in 2019 class and youve got a team that historically has had a big season. In 2003 we got commitments from a 4* and 3 3* which isnt that impressive but those guys would play a big part in our title run in 2004 and go on to win a ton of games over 4 years. The recruits were Shad, Hilton, Denham and Marcus White.
Yes, but they were balanced out with top 100 recruits in Emeka Okafor, Ben Gordon, Charlie Villuneva, Taliek Brown and Josh Boone.
We don't have that kind of existing talent to blend with those lower rated recruits. I don't mind having this guy on the team when you have 3 other bigs with top 100 rankings who all would eventually play in the NBA.

The later years we had NBA players Rudy Gay and Marcus Williams.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown