Lubin and the Front Court | The Boneyard

Lubin and the Front Court

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Have not watched enough games to really assess Lubin. All I know is that he doesn't get a lot of minutes but that is not uncommon for a freshman. I've seen height mentioned as a concern. Really hoping he develops some without expecting him to be our saviour. As a junior 25 min/game, 9 ppg, 6 rpg, and 2 apg would make me happy. Is that realistic?

2016-17 Front Court of Brimah, Facey, Lubin, Enoch, and a stud recruit or two would fill out the roster nicely. I know Brimah might not be here past next year but hopefully that's not the case. We'd have a good blend of experience and youth down low.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'll be honest - Lubin got way too much hype here before the season. I love his physicality and intensity when he plays, but he's definitely underdeveloped and will not be a significant contributor for a while.

I also find it ironic that people are tearing their hair out over UCONN being involved with 3-star PGs with multiple P5 offers, while Lubin had no other interest from any Division I athletic program and was hailed as the messiah by some individuals here.

Reaction Score
Some were expecting Lubin to be a Jeff Adrian clone, not happening. He can find a role if he improves obviously but If he's getting 25+ mins a game as a junior he would have to make miracle strides or our front court would have to be in shambles. We need rebounding and some threat of a post game on this team in the future so that's were I'd like to see the most improvement.

Also Brimah's here for 4 years.

Reaction Score
OK. What do you see that makes you say that?

What do you see that makes you think he would average 9 points per game?

The safe bet would be that Lubin is no higher than third on the PF depth chart in two years behind Facey and Enoch.

Reaction Score
Some were expecting Lubin to be a Jeff Adrian clone, not happening.

Anyone expecting that was setting themselves up for disappointment. Adrien was a top-50 kid who excelled as a post-grad at Brewster, a legit powerhouse. He was a top flight recruit who could have played at Kansas or schools of that ilk. There's no comparison.

Reaction Score
What do you see that makes you think he would average 9 points per game?

The safe bet would be that Lubin is no higher than third on the PF depth chart in two years behind Facey and Enoch.
From what I understand he is a big body and hustles/hard worker on floor. If you know how to use your body and play with real passion you can accomplish alot. Especially down low. 2 crappy put backs, a couple of nice feeds form your back court and free throw is nine points last I checked. Maybe that is the high end of his ability not the average...I have no idea.

So what do you see?

Reaction Score
Anyone expecting that was setting themselves up for disappointment. Adrien was a top-50 kid who excelled as a post-grad at Brewster, a legit powerhouse. He was a top flight recruit who could have played at Kansas or schools of that ilk. There's no comparison.
Dude, duh.

Reaction Score
So what do you see?
Short arms, small hands, no lift. Poor fundamentals when boxing out. No real idea of how to use his bulk against taller players.

Decent lateral quickness and a surprisingly good IQ in finding useful scoring spots when our guards penetrate.

He's a project. I hope he can be a 10-12 minute per game contributor by the time he's a senior.

Reaction Score
He was never hailed as a messiah, in fact just the opposite. He wasn't even top 250 I don't think.

People liked his frame and potential. As a true 4 I think he has more upside than Facey. No idea on Enoch.

I'll be honest - Lubin got way too much hype here before the season. I love his physicality and intensity when he plays, but he's definitely underdeveloped and will not be a significant contributor for a while.

I also find it ironic that people are tearing their hair out over UCONN being involved with 3-star PGs with multiple P5 offers, while Lubin had no other interest from any Division I athletic program and was hailed as the messiah by some individuals here.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
2 crappy put backs, a couple of nice feeds form your back court and free throw is nine points last I checked.

Only if you actually put the spherical brown thing in the round thing with the strings hanging from it. He shoots just over 50% from point blank range, and under 50% from the FT line.
So 2 crappy putbacks would require 4 offensive rebounds, and a couple nice feeds would require at least seven times getting open in scoring position and having a perimeter player pass it to him since he has almost as many turnovers as made baskets.

I have no idea.

Therein lies the problem.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think the closest comparison would be Eric Hayward/Ed Nelson type guy. Energy guy off the bench that grabs 3-4 boards a game and puts in a bucket or two.

Reaction Score
Only if you actually put the spherical brown thing in the round thing with the strings hanging from it. He shoots just over 50% from point blank range, and under 50% from the FT line.
So 2 crappy putbacks would require 4 offensive rebounds, and a couple nice feeds would require at least seven times getting open in scoring position and having a perimeter player pass it to him since he has almost as many turnovers as made baskets.

Therein lies the problem.
Problem with what? Asking a question? I like good analytical analysis not whiney old wusses who hate looking at themselves in the mirror cause they're old now and can't walk the walk.
Thanks to all those who gave honest real assessments without the negative BS.
Been loving this team since 1989 (my senior year of high school). BY since 2001.

Reaction Score

He really wasn't. There were a few guys that for whatever reason thought he'd be really good right away, and then some posters on this board have a habit of extrapolating what those guys say and then painting it as the prevailing opinion on here and then complaining about it. It's bizarre.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The game moves way too fast for him right now.

Going forward, he's going to be caught in a numbers game.

Enoch is a project as well, but likely further along than Lubin. So he's behind Enoch and Facey in a traditional lineup and will also lose opportunity time when UConn goes small with Hamilton at the four.

Brimah and Nolan are established as the one-two at center.

Add in UConn's efforts to recruit another big for next season and things are very tight for Lubin.

He needs to improve significantly to avoid being buried next season and beyond.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Some were expecting Lubin to be a Jeff Adrian clone, not happening. He can find a role if he improves obviously but If he's getting 25+ mins a game as a junior he would have to make miracle strides or our front court would have to be in shambles. We need rebounding and some threat of a post game on this team in the future so that's were I'd like to see the most improvement.

Also Brimah's here for 4 years.
I don't think Lubin will be as good as Adrien, but I think he can contribute. He's a little short to play the 4, but his physicality and aggressiveness make up for it.

I wouldn't say it's a given Brimah is here for 4 yrs. He'll be getting 1st round looks after next year if he shows more offensive promise. It's hard for a kid to turn down a guaranteed contract.

Reaction Score
I guess I'll just state the obvious then...if he develops he'll play, he produces he play more, if not...

Hope it happens, we need to be able to bang down low (and hit 3 pointers and not turn the ball over and....)

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Why all the negativity in this thread? Let's wait until he's a junior and then see what he's like. A lot can happen in two years.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I can't be the only one wondering how he hasn't passed Nolan right? You'd think to pass Nolan all you'd have to do is get rebounds, or consistently make one basket a game... Idk.

Also there's no way we were the only d1 school to offer him, he was at least a 3 star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom