Lubin and the Front Court | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lubin and the Front Court

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like Lubin's effort and he seems like a really nice kid; a gentle giant type, but I just don't think he's athletic enough to be a factor at this level.

The scouting reports from his high school coach on twitter were that he was an above the rim finisher with power. I'm not sure I've seen him dunk. He may evolve into a dependable role player, particularly when the starting bigs get in foul troublr or we need a bigger body, but I can't see him ever playing more than 10 minutes a game here, even as a senior. His lack of lift in my opinion is his biggest obstacle.

Adrien was much more cut, and had that lift. Plus Adrien had freakishly long arms, so he was really playing as a 6-10 guy, not 6-6.

I hope I'm wrong, and guys improve a lot in the offesason, particularly freshman to sophomore year, but I think we need to be realistic here. There is a place for Lubin on the squad, and it's good to have an enforcer, but he's likely the last big option off the bench for his entire four years (let's hope we recruit higher caliber bigs in the next few years, otherwise that's not a good depth chart).

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I wish I could see all the things you claim you're seeing. Maybe I need to watch closer...
If you intend this as being facetious so be it. You're entitled to your opinion. I think KO is more in line with my point of view based on recent playing time for the three players. Ask him as opposed to taking my word why Kentan's minutes have been reduced and RL barely sees the court.

Reaction Score
First ... Some have said that Lubin is amongst the least talented guys whom UConn has given a scholarship. He is not. We have had Lubin types (and I am not saying Hayward or Ed Nelson ... but Mike Hayes and a few others). I have seen some skill with Lubin & a good shot. He isn't getting minutes cause he simply isn't ready. A few years and he will be more valuable.

Then ... Nolan does play a role that few of the posters knocking him understand. Suffice it to say that. Positional interior defense is just part of the Team game; Phil has always seemed to know this part. (and then, Facey & Brimah are learning)

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
The only dunk I've seen from him this year, against Houston, was a pretty good one.
I remember watching that dunk and being stunned. He dunked that in a way that many people his height never could. Obviously he hasn't done much other than that on offense so it doesn't mean much, but it does show he has at least some spring.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Not sure why people don't understand that.

Exactly. Anyone who has ever played basketball competitively past the elementary school level knows the importance of good footwork on defense and the importance of fundamental positional defending. Good defense extends far beyond grabbing rebounds and simply staying next to your defensive assignment.
Nolan's not a guy whose game will look good in the box score and he's not a guy who's going to put up many points. It's very unlikely that either of those two aspects will ever change. However, if you observe Lubin while he's playing defense and are willing to look beyond things that show up on the stat sheet, you'll see that at this point in his career he is miles behind Nolan.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Problem with what? Asking a question? I like good analytical analysis not whiney old wusses who hate looking at themselves in the mirror cause they're old now and can't walk the walk.
Thanks to all those who gave honest real assessments without the negative BS.
Been loving this team since 1989 (my senior year of high school). BY since 2001.

I am certainly old. But I'm not whiney. I'm curmudgeonly. And while age and artery disease have taken the game away from me, once upon a time, back when 6-3 was still tall enough to play inside in HS, assorted rec leagues and the non-stop pickup games in the toughest neighborhoods in Bridgeport, I was a pretty decent interior defender and passable on offense. And at my best, Lubin would eat my lunch. But I didn't have visions of playing D1. Or D2, for that matter.

That having been said, your only question was whether 25 minutes, 9 points, 6 boards and 2 dimes a game seemed realistic. Several people said no. Then you defended that position, and I gave you actual factual numbers of what he produces now and explained why I thought your estimates were likely unattainable given his size and skillset. That IS analysis. I might have been a little snide. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. But the fact is, he's marginal size-wise for a 4, and not nearly skilled enough for the 3. Unless he gets better at defensive positioning and exceptionally good at rebounding, he's never going to see more than token court time.

Reaction Score
I am certainly old. But I'm not whiney. I'm curmudgeonly. And while age and artery disease have taken the game away from me, once upon a time, back when 6-3 was still tall enough to play inside in HS, assorted rec leagues and the non-stop pickup games in the toughest neighborhoods in Bridgeport, I was a pretty decent interior defender and passable on offense. And at my best, Lubin would eat my lunch. But I didn't have visions of playing D1. Or D2, for that matter.

That having been said, your only question was whether 25 minutes, 9 points, 6 boards and 2 dimes a game seemed realistic. Several people said no. Then you defended that position, and I gave you actual factual numbers of what he produces now and explained why I thought your estimates were likely unattainable given his size and skillset. That IS analysis. I might have been a little snide. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. But the fact is, he's marginal size-wise for a 4, and not nearly skilled enough for the 3. Unless he gets better at defensive positioning and exceptionally good at rebounding, he's never going to see more than token court time.
Sounds good. Thanks for the analysis. Although I disagree with your interpretation regarding the chain of events.

Hope we make the tourney.

Reaction Score
I once heard Shaq O'Neil couldn't dunk until he was 6'8''...that blows my mind..
He also weighed 300+. I don't care how tall you are, it has got to be hard to get that off the ground.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Anyone who has ever played basketball competitively past the elementary school level knows the importance of good footwork on defense and the importance of fundamental positional defending. Good defense extends far beyond grabbing rebounds and simply staying next to your defensive assignment.
Nolan's not a guy whose game will look good in the box score and he's not a guy who's going to put up many points. It's very unlikely that either of those two aspects will ever change. However, if you observe Lubin while he's playing defense and are willing to look beyond things that show up on the stat sheet, you'll see that at this point in his career he is miles behind Nolan.

Maybe. Phil's D was pretty mediocre last game. Rock has a little Toraino Walker potential, if he gets a shot he may surprise us the same way. I'd like to see him get a shot.

Reaction Score
Lubin is certainly not a star but he seems to have pretty good hands when he receives a pass and when he shoots it. I like his strength and his bulk. I think the staff can turn him into a nice part of the team. I think his limited playing time may have more to do with his defense- communication, responsibilities, switches, etc.
I have hopes for him.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Lubin is certainly not a star but he seems to have pretty good hands when he receives a pass and when he shoots it. I like his strength and his bulk. I think the staff can turn him into a nice part of the team. I think his limited playing time may have more to do with his defense- communication, responsibilities, switches, etc.
I have hopes for him.
Concise analysis of his current strengths and weaknesses. He can fix things and turn into a nice player.

Last edited:

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Sounds good. Thanks for the analysis. Although I disagree with your interpretation regarding the chain of events.

Hope we make the tourney.
And let RichZ be a lesson for you. Wussing and whining is not correlative with any generalization we want to make including age, gender, denomination, education, political affiliation, race, creed or where we fit on the scale of hedonistic tendencies. There is enough wussing and whining going on with every group that we don't have to be selective.

Reaction Score
UK has Towns, Stein, Dakari Johnson and Trey Lyles

The UConn 4-5s are Brimah, Facey, Nolan and Lubin

Huh? Brimah could maybe get a few minutes in a blow out

I have hopes for him.

Reaction Score
Lubin looks like he could have some potential, but we have to recognize that there is a reason KO won't play him and defer to Nolan, who has become legitimately notorious for his poor play.

Reaction Score
Brimah has potential, the other 3 front court players wouldn't get 5 minutes on any other top 25 team.

Lubin looks like he could have some potential, but we have to recognize that there is a reason KO won't play him and defer to Nolan, who has become legitimately notorious for his poor play.

Reaction Score
People are too quick to give up on players. Lubin has strength, coordination and good hands. He can turn into a pretty good player. However, he is a freshman and he missed a lot of high school playing time due to injury. He needs some time to develop.

We will lose players to transfer, the draft or graduation most years. Guys like Lubin are great to have around as seasoned players for four years. They have a way of coming up big when we need them, and some them even end up pros. I like Lubin and I look forward to seeing if he can put all his gifts together and become a solid player for us but I have realistic expectations right now. I think he has a lot of potential though.

Nolan plays good defense. KO won a title using Nolan regularly so you have to understand that it would be hard for him to choose Lubin over Nolan. He knows Nolan has been there to win him a title and has valuable experience.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Some numbskulls don't know what the word "potential" means. It's not about how good someone is right now, it's about where they can be by their junior/senior year.

Reaction Score
And let RichZ be a lesson for you. Wussing and whining is not correlative with any generalization we want to make including age, gender, denomination, education, political affiliation, race, creed or where we fit on the scale of hedonistic tendencies. There is enough wussing and whining going on with every group that we don't have to be selective.
Come on! That is some super advanced rational that I'm not sure I'm capable of pulling off. I can barely write a sentence.

Reaction Score
Nolan is a senior and he's not good; Facey is the end of his soph year and he looks worse than he previously did, which was already bad; Brimah is good against teams with RPIs > 100 and front court players 6-8" and under; and Lubin is way too early to tell.

That is the UConn front court. Maybe if we could have success in the tourney we could recruit stronger front court players.

Some numbskulls don't know what the word "potential" means. It's not about how good someone is right now, it's about where they can be by their junior/senior year.

Reaction Score
Nolan is a senior and he's not good; Facey is the end of his soph year and he looks worse than he previously did, which was already bad; Brimah is good against teams with RPIs > 100 and front court players 6-8" and under; and Lubin is way too early to tell.

That is the UConn front court. Maybe if we could have success in the tourney we could recruit stronger front court players.
I get your point but haven't we had success in the tournament? I know you mean this year. It seems our recruiting issues have to do with things that have happened to the program in previous years (APR, CR, uncertainty regarding our head coach). Anyways, that's another topic.

Reaction Score
That was sarcasm, we have had success and we run this front court out. It's embarrassing or depressing or both.

I get your point but haven't we had success in the tournament? I know you mean this year. It seems our recruiting issues have to do with things that have happened to the program in previous years (APR, CR, uncertainty regarding our head coach). Anyways, that's another topic.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
That was sarcasm, we have had success and we run this front court out. It's embarrassing or depressing or both.
Sarcasm or not PN is a junior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC