LSU WBB coach Nikki Fargas has stepped down | Page 3 | The Boneyard

LSU WBB coach Nikki Fargas has stepped down

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
That would be interesting.

It's interesting, indeed.
One of the mental images I carry of Kim Mulkey is having a conversation with Leon Barmore on the sideline while she was a player. She's both wide-eyed, yet intensely focused, on what he's pointing to somewhere on the court.

I think Kim always brings that kind of intensity whereever she goes; but my gut is that she's always considered herself a Louisianan and would get energized by a return trip "home."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
View attachment 66916

She didn’t say no
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
I suspect Kim is just pulling a Walz and trying to get a raise but it would certainly open things up for Vic and Texas to regain control of the b12.
Kim isn’t leaving Baylor but it makes much more sense for her to leave to go back to Louisiana then it was for Walz going to miss st

IF LSU were to possibly pull it off, outside of a big salary, they would need to dump a lot more into the facilities and everything around that program. Although that seems like a lot of money to imagine for a program losing that much annually but I’m not an AD and I’m not footing the bill

Reaction Score
He is a complete you know what but the logic is sound.

Reaction Score
I'm not expecting Mulkey to be our coach. Now LSU CAN afford her. Just don't expect it to happen.

Reaction Score
Who are the candidates? I’m sure it’s one of the most sought after jobs this year.

I think she(Mulkey) would relish the opportunity but I don’t think she wants to rebuild a program at this point in her career.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I'll throw this name out there because eventually she'll have to get an opportunity again.

GG!

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Maybe Mulkey and her ego don't like it that Scott Drew and the Baylor men's program are getting all the attention coming off their first national championship; this might be the first year the women have ever exited the NCAA tourney earlier than the men's program.

Financially, Baylor will match anything LSU would offer Mulkey (not that I think they will break the bank). So, just not sure what Mulkey's true motivation would be having interest in LSU. I've never hear Kim mention her parents, so not sure if they are in Louisiana; that's about the only reason I could think of.

Reaction Score
Who are the candidates? I’m sure it’s one of the most sought after jobs this year.

I think she(Mulkey) would relish the opportunity but I don’t think she wants to rebuild a program at this point in her career.
I honestly have zero clue right now. LSU has not even made an official announcement yet of her leaving.

Reaction Score
I honestly have zero clue right now. LSU has not even made an official announcement yet of her leaving.
I’ll be interested to see the direction they go. Coach Mulkey is from the Hammond area and obviously has the connection to Louisiana after playing basketball at Louisiana Tech and going to see her son play at LSU. I don’t follow her close enough to know if she would have the lure of returning home, similar to Coach Schaefer. I’d like to see what she could do at a school with LSU’s resources and recruiting base (to add to the connections she has in Texas).

Reaction Score
I’ll be interested to see the direction they go. Coach Mulkey is from the Hammond area and obviously has the connection to Louisiana after playing basketball at Louisiana Tech and going to see her son play at LSU. I don’t follow her close enough to know if she would have the lure of returning home, similar to Coach Schaefer. I’d like to see what she could do at a school with LSU’s resources and recruiting base (to add to the connections she has in Texas).
I think Kim is a long shot unless she wants to end up back home soon but I don't see it. She may end up back in Louisiana eventually but I doubt she wants to rebuild another program and she already is considering a treasure in Waco. She is payed extremely well and has a great program running already. But as an AD, you have to do your job and make her say no.

Reaction Score
being that im from Louisiana, I hope the AD takes it seriously and picks some one that knows how to do two things: 1) win 2) recruit

Reaction Score
I think going the “Arizona” route would be more beneficial for LSU for the current state of the program. Someone that is young, hungry, and energetic has been working wonders for programs that needed a facelift. Ole Miss also comes to mind.

Obviously Mulkey would be a great hire, but outside the home factor, why go in reverse to build a program at this stage of your career?

Reaction Score
I seen lsu fans think they can pull mulkey or staley on other boards....mulkey with her ties to Louisiana and her son playing baseball at LSU is more likely. Staley isn't leaving SC for another rebuild after what she's built at SC.

If im LSU I'd go at Jolette Law from SC she is the key piece in our recruiting....now will she leave maybe not but she would be a call I'd make.

Reaction Score
Would it really take Mulkey that long to rebuild a program like LSU? I think she would have a top 5 recruiting class in 2023.

Reaction Score
I seen lsu fans think they can pull mulkey or staley on other boards....mulkey with her ties to Louisiana and her son playing baseball at LSU is more likely. Staley isn't leaving SC for another rebuild after what she's built at SC.
Most LSU fans do not think its reasonable or going to happen. Will we probably reach out and try to gauge her interest and what it could possibly take to get her? Probably but I don't think she coaches anywhere else other than Baylor the rest of her career unless something happens that she wants to accomplish in her personal life. Only way she would possibly leave for LSU (outside of wanting to end up in Louisiana down the road) is if LSU empties the bank and flood the facilities with massive upgrades. Not sure LSU will pay that kind of money just for WBB (no offense). Then again, our AD is notorious for over spending so nothing would shock me with him

Reaction Score
Would it really take Mulkey that long to rebuild a program like LSU? I think she would have a top 5 recruiting class in 2023.
It would probably take 2-3 years, with the way the portal is, she could probably turn things around pretty quickly based off her name alone but the talent needs to be restocked pretty badly. It will take a few years to not only get the talent level where it needs to be but to have the depth to compliment it.

Reaction Score
Most LSU fans do not think its reasonable or going to happen. Will we probably reach out and try to gauge her interest and what it could possibly take to get her? Probably but I don't think she coaches anywhere else other than Baylor the rest of her career unless something happens that she wants to accomplish in her personal life. Only way she would possibly leave for LSU (outside of wanting to end up in Louisiana down the road) is if LSU empties the bank and flood the facilities with massive upgrades. Not sure LSU will pay that kind of money just for WBB (no offense). Then again, our AD is notorious for over spending so nothing would shock me with him
You never touched the idea of y'all going at Jolette law

Reaction Score
You never touched the idea of y'all going at Jolette law
I will be honest, I am not sure how great of a coach she is. I'm sure she is very knowledgeable and a very good recruiter. She wasn't that great at Illinois but that was a decade ago.

LSU has the resources to do well although Nikki never took advantage of it but I think she lost some of that fire early on in her LSU. It was pretty apparent she was extremely lazy recruiting and then heavily relied on transfers in recent years. Maybe SC fans can chime in some on her.

Reaction Score
Jolette Law would be an uninspiring hire. Why should she get a better job than Illinois after failing badly there? I would like to see her win as a head coach at a mid major to prove she has learned from Illinois mistakes before hiring her at a big job like LSU. Dawn is big personality, huge name, USA coach. The kids are going there to play for Dawn and I don't assume its Law that is the reason they are getting all these players. If Law left they could hire almost any other solid assistant and the recruiting would be the same, so how much do you attribute just to Law?

Reaction Score
I will be honest, I am not sure how great of a coach she is. I'm sure she is very knowledgeable and a very good recruiter. She wasn't that great at Illinois but that was a decade ago.

LSU has the resources to do well although Nikki never took advantage of it but I think she lost some of that fire early on in her LSU. It was pretty apparent she was extremely lazy recruiting and then heavily relied on transfers in recent years. Maybe SC fans can chime in some on her.
That was the sad thing about it. We stayed stuck on mediocrity when we had everything possible to be up there with the rest. I just hope we don't settle on this hire. I'm not expecting a Walz or a Mulkey type hire. But someone experienced, young, and can recruit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom