LSU WBB coach Nikki Fargas has stepped down | The Boneyard

LSU WBB coach Nikki Fargas has stepped down

Reaction Score

U women’s basketball head coach Nikki Fargas has stepped down from her post to pursue a new career outside of coaching.
She just completed her 10th season at the helm of the LSU women’s basketball program.
She is leaving with a 177-129 record (.578 winning percentage).

Reaction Score
Whoa!

Wonder if recent grad transfers Copeland and Newby open things back up?

Reaction Score
Some thoughts

-She saw the writing on the wall and decided to go out on her own
-Hopefully this isn't anything medically related
-The AD has someone in mind and encouraged her to announce this or be fired

It didn't workout, best of luck Nikki.

Reaction Score
It is definitely hard to imagine that she wasn't encouraged to leave. She just bragged last week about how good they were going to be next year.
Most people saw the writing on the wall IMO. It was a matter of this offseason or next.

This has been pushed really hard for years behind the scenes among the boosters but we have a new AD now. This IMO is a good time given how large the portal is and the rebuild process will take years. I hope Pointer still comes back even with this news.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Congratulations dude. I know you're happy, and based on what I've briefly observed from the LSU board most guys are too.

Next year we'll be free also once our wicked witch has been slain too.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Most people saw the writing on the wall IMO. It was a matter of this offseason or next.

This has been pushed really hard for years behind the scenes among the boosters but we have a new AD now. This IMO is a good time given how large the portal is and the rebuild process will take years. I hope Pointer still comes back even with this news.
Any thoughts on her replacement?

Reaction Score
LSU finally gets to see Scott Woodward work his magic and find a new coach

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Really curious about the next hire.
A little strange on the timing. Team ended its season five weeks ago (3/5) and the first wave of portal activity has already happened. I assume the 'job search' will last a minimum of 1 week so the new hire will be about 4 weeks behind some of the other new coaches in evaluating and recruiting and a few quality candidates are already gone.
It seems this was preordained, but then why wait. Or was there something specific that triggered this 'late' move?

Reaction Score
Really curious about the next hire.
A little strange on the timing. Team ended its season five weeks ago (3/5) and the first wave of portal activity has already happened. I assume the 'job search' will last a minimum of 1 week so the new hire will be about 4 weeks behind some of the other new coaches in evaluating and recruiting and a few quality candidates are already gone.
It seems this was preordained, but then why wait. Or was there something specific that triggered this 'late' move?
She resigned she didn’t get fired

Reaction Score
She resigned she didn’t get fired
Well something happened. She actively had been recruiting in the portal and clearly had been planning on next season. Either something came up within the last week or she was told to step down or be fired. If it was the latter, its a bit of weird timing unless they have a good hire in place. Next season is a blimp in the scheme of things as long as they get the hire right.

It felt like she lost a lot of fire as a coach after she had her first child years ago. Maybe stepping away from coaching (like the articles have alluded to) means she would like to do something that could allow her to do more with her family. This is a tough profession that requires a lot of time committed to it between recruiting, traveling, practices, community service etc. Not criticizing her at all, but just my thought process on it. Wish her the best.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@SECbbfan24 virtual celebration ? Lol
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Well something happened. She actively had been recruiting in the portal and clearly had been planning on next season. Either something came up within the last week or she was told to step down or be fired. If it was the latter, its a bit of weird timing unless they have a good hire in place. Next season is a blimp in the scheme of things as long as they get the hire right.

It felt like she lost a lot of fire as a coach after she had her first child years ago to many. Maybe stepping away from coaching (like the articles have alluded to) means she would like to do something that could allow her to do more with her family. This is a tough profession that requires a lot of time committed to it between recruiting, traveling, practices, community service etc.
I still love her a lot. I'm really glad she left instead of being fired. I wish her the best in her change of career. Not sure the route LSU will take , but the resources there. I don't think Scott will settle for less.

Reaction Score
Who can you get at this point? Lots of top talent already snapped up.

Reaction Score
Some boosters want the Florida Gulf Coast coach Karl Smesko. Not sure how good he would recruit down here.

He is only 50 years old.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom