LSU Basketball 21-22 | Page 17 | The Boneyard

LSU Basketball 21-22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Kim not throwing high expectations on her team, but I still think they will be better than expected.
At the beginning of the 23-24 season, I think Kim will have LSU exactly where she would have had Baylor had she stayed. She knows where she wants to be by then and how to get there. She'll have ALL of her own players on roster by then. What is YOUR realistic outlook for this team this coming season? What do you realistically think LSU's won-loss record will be? Can you get an at-large NCAA Tournament bid, or is that a bridge too far for this team?

Reaction Score
What is YOUR realistic outlook for this team this coming season?
LSU won 9 games last year although I think a lot of it felt like it was mostly due to the coaching and preparation by Nikki. The entire OOC schedule, LSU looked like a team that didn’t pick up a basketball all off-season, it was some of the worst basketball under the Nikki era. SEC play was a little better, LSU showed they were extremely capable at times beating Georgia and A&M while losing a lot of close games. With proper guidance (which I think Kim will do) I think they will finish with a winning record and have a shot to make the NCAAT. I’m personally being cautiously optimistic. They could end up being way better than many expect. Depends on how they adjust to the new systems.

One thing that stood out to me when Kim was asked questions about players this week, was she said to not discount players because of past performance and said some players can be reinvigorated by a coaching change. The gist I got out of her is some players seem like much different players In practice this fall than the film she has seen previously. She has raved about Cherry. I just find it interesting. We will see pretty soon.

The portal will be key this off-season to revamping the talent for the future. Kim has been highly successful with it over the last few years

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Off topic, I see Leon Barmore statue just went up and Kim went down to give a small speech during the ceremony. I heard his health hadn't been cooperating with him recently but nice to see he got to see it himself.

FCU--7pakAAzL_Y

Reaction Score
. . .

The portal will be key this off-season to revamping the talent for the future. Kim has been highly successful with it over the last few years
Kim is going to face her first monster recruiting challenge in keeping the top recruit in the nation at home and getting a teachable big to team with her. If she gets those two tasks done, she’ll be in the thick of things SOON!

Reaction Score
Kim is going to face her first monster recruiting challenge in keeping the top recruit in the nation at home and getting a teachable big to team with her. If she gets those two tasks done, she’ll be in the thick of things SOON!
Williams is a can’t miss recruit. She seems to be most high on LSU and Ole Miss (Coach Yo). I guess we will see what happens but recruits like Williams don’t come along often in Louisiana.

Reaction Score
Williams is a can’t miss recruit. She seems to be most high on LSU and Ole Miss (Coach Yo). I guess we will see what happens but recruits like Williams don’t come along often in Louisiana.
They don’t come along often in ANY state.

Dawn has seen one in SC - and converted that one into a title. Got one more such opportunity in 2024 in SC. Might be decades before we see another such in state opportunity.

Reaction Score

Dawn has seen one in SC - and converted that one into a title. Got one more such opportunity in 2024 in SC. Might be decades before we see another such in state opportunity.
Will be interesting, can Kim, Kellie, and Dawn keep Williams, Cambridge, and Edwards home.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Worth noting, Dawn had SC in a much better spot when A'ja committed compared to the state LSU is currently in. There's no question A'ja took SC to the next level and provided ample exposure, but SC was a #1 seed in the 2014 tournament and returned their entire roster, plus brought in Wilson and a couple other high profile recruits. We'll see what magic Kim can whip up in her first year or 2 and if she can reel in Williams.

Reaction Score
Worth noting, Dawn had SC in a much better spot when A'ja committed compared to the state LSU is currently in. There's no question A'ja took SC to the next level and provided ample exposure, but SC was a #1 seed in the 2014 tournament and returned their entire roster, plus brought in Wilson and a couple other high profile recruits. We'll see what magic Kim can whip up in her first year or 2 and if she can reel in Williams.
Kim is gonna have to sell her resume as LSU isn’t in win now mode already. The image of the program hasn’t been the same since pokey was here. They need more players. Getting Williams on board IMO would open the door a lot. Which is why it’s important to make a strong first impression year one. I’m sure she will get them there, it’s a matter of how fast can she?

I notice she has been pushing like crazy for facility upgrades and they have changed a lot of things for recruiting purposes. If Kim can get Flaujae here, that would be a nice opening class to build on.

Reaction Score
I agree SC was in a much better situation as a program but I think Coach Mulkey can sell herself as a coach easier than what Coach Staley could at the time. That is not to cast anything negative at Coach Staley but instead just to highlight resumes at the respective points in time. The LSU program already looks very different. Coach Mulkey has shown she isn’t scared to make whatever roster adjustments are needed to win. All things considered I’d be a little surprised if they don’t get Williams.

Reaction Score
Georgia is not in Flau'jae top 5 anymore. I actually thought they would be the team to beat out. My confidence on landing her is high.

Reaction Score
A lot of LSU love in her comments on IG. Then again she is an artist as well. And to most fans or her following. LSU is a big name to them lol.

Reaction Score
A lot of LSU love in her comments on IG. Then again she is an artist as well. And to most fans or her following. LSU is a big name to them lol.
I have no clue what to think. If social media is an indicator she seemed to enjoy Miami and LSU the most but I give up trying to read kids. Every kid picks a school for different reasons.

Reaction Score
Gusters on the Lisa Leslie Award watchlist. I think Aifuwa was snubbed.

That and. Gusters most likely will not be starting.

Reaction Score
Gusters on the Lisa Leslie Award watchlist. I think Aifuwa was snubbed.

That and. Gusters most likely will not be starting.
Aifuwa could be really really good if she learned to finish near the rim more consistently. I thinks she’s gonna have a great year. I find most of these preseason watch lists (all sports in general) seem to ride on what kids did as a recruit than a player in college. I take all of it (like preseason top 25 lists) with a grain of salt. I hope Gusters has a great season as well. It sounds like Kim is gonna throw her into the fire a bit more then she was at Baylor. Only way to develop is to play.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Wait until you see the jump in attendance and revenue for this team. That arena could turn into Death Valley version deaux...

Reaction Score
Wait until you see the jump in attendance and revenue for this team. That arena could turn into Death Valley version deaux...
Would be nice. I expect attendance to be up this year. People are genuinely excited to have Kim here but I dont think they see the crowds they want until they start winning some. LSU fans have bad and good but they do show up when a good product is out there (even for women sports). Our gymnastics meets used to be empty and now holds 12000 people every meet. They support a winner here.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Would be nice. I expect attendance to be up this year. People are genuinely excited to have Kim here but I dont think they see the crowds they want until they start winning some. LSU fans have bad and good but they do show up when a good product is out there (even for women sports). Our gymnastics meets used to be empty and now holds 12000 people every meet. They support a winner here.
For 2019-20 LSU averaged 2,036 and in 2018-19 it was 2,169 so those are pretty good considering the team so I still think they beat those numbers this year even with concerns on COVID. Plus just you and all your friends should boost it by 25%! :)

Reaction Score
They have Aifuwa and Gusters starting? Lord

Not sure how that would work defensively vs better teams but I guess this is one of the few times you can try other combinations.

Last edited:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
They have Aifuwa and Gusters starting? Lord

Not sure how that would work defensively vs better teams but I guess this is one of the few times you can try other combinations.

wasn’t what i was expecting but not a bad look so far.

Reaction Score
The posts are gonna have to carry the team because Nikki recruited kids who literally cannot shoot to save their lives.

Its pretty obvious they are trying to play super fast. Stark contrast from Nikki who's offense was as slow as my grandma on a highway. Its incredibly messy but I am not shocked.

They were the worst offense in the SEC by far last year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I pray for Alexis Morris to have eligibility
Which is why losing Moon was a massive blow.

On a positive they are shooting free throws well. Kim wants to pull her hair out but is trying not to lose it lol

Pointer has missed some bunnies but not concerned at all with her.

I think they are playing way too fast at times but they are just straight up missing bunnies near the rim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom