Lou's Amazing Consistency From the 3-Point Line | The Boneyard

Lou's Amazing Consistency From the 3-Point Line

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Apologies in advance: based on the topic, this post really belongs in the thread on Lou's shooting, but I think these numbers are important and surprising enough to warrant their own thread.

We know that Lou is a top-notch 3-point shooter, currently hitting over 51% (43-for-84) for the year, including the St. Johns game. But as you probably know, nearly all 3-point shooters are streaky -- they can have games where they shoot very badly from the 3-point line. (For example, Azzi was 1-for-8 from 3 against Northeastern in the first game of the year.) KML was streaky; KLS ("Lou1") was quite streaky; and other UConn 3-point artists like Moriah, Kia Nurse, Renee Montgomery, and Mel Thomas could be streaky as well. Diana is famous for her 1-for-15 game against Notre Dame in the 2001 Final Four.

Well (knock on wood and hope it continues), that has NOT been the case with Lou Lopez Senechal ("Lou2") so far this year. Here are her game-by-game 3-point FG's and FGA's for the season through tonight's St. Johns game:

Northeastern 4-9
Texas 2-4
NC State 3-10
Duke 4-5
Iowa 1-3
Providence 4-5
Notre Dame 3-5
Princeton 4-6
Maryland 2-4
Florida State 4-9
Seton Hall 2-4
Creighton 0-1
Marquette 2-3
Butler 1-3
Xavier 3-8
St. Johns 4-5

You should notice from this list that there was only one game all year where Lou was not either (a) at or above 50% for the game; or (b) one missed 3-point FGA short of being over 50%. That was, of course, the NC State game where she was 3-for-10. In 15 out of 16 games, either she was hitting at or above 50% or would have been if she had made just one of her misses.

I wonder if Steph Curry or Jayson Tatum is that consistent. I certainly wonder if anyone in WCBB, or for that matter in the WNBA, can match these stats for consistency. And I wonder if Geno has ever been able to look down his roster and see someone shooting from the arc who can be counted on to that degree to score when she has open shot attempts.

I hope WNBA GM's are noticing. I will bet that they are.

Reaction Score
A quick look shows Curry being more than a make below .500 in 10 of 27 games this year.

Reaction Score
Nice thread! I Add that LLS had eight points at the half last night against
St. John's with two threes and then had 11 points in the second half with one
three and four two pointer (great passes from Dorka!). The point is Lou
can " heat up" in any game and it was wonderful for the BONEYARDERs and
too bad for St. John's that the substitution rotation had AZZI and LOU
trading off scoring to create a nightmare for St. John's!! GO LOU! GO AZZI!

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
Great post @JoePgh and no apologies necessary. When you watch Lou play, you can tell she's a very quick thinker when deciding to shoot or pass or drive. She rarely takes stupid shots.

What I think may be more amazing than her shooting is just how fast she has picked up UConn's system in just one year and how well she integrates with a team full of potential all-americans that have already been on the team for a few years.

She's an all-arounder in many ways, and it was wonderful when she told her parents at the end of her interiew last night that she loved them ❤️

Reaction Score
We should all realize that next year we will be without 20 points per game from Lou. Her UConn experience will give her the oppotunity to be picked in the WNBA. Besides that Dorka will be gone as well and there goes 15 points per game and lots of rebounds. I really appreciate what these two guys are doing for the Team and keeping UConn in contention for better positioning in the tournament to come.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We should all realize that next year we will be without 20 points per game from Lou. Her UConn experience will give her the oppotunity to be picked in the WNBA. Besides that Dorka will be gone as well and there goes 15 points per game and lots of rebounds. I really appreciate what these two guys are doing for the Team and keeping UConn in contention for better positioning in the tournament to come.
Got a kid named Paige that’s a pretty good shooter

Reaction Score
Lou shooting 8-9 last night was ridiculous. That’s difficult to do in an empty gym, let alone in a game.

The one thing that drives me crazy is she takes these long shots where she’s just inches in front of the 3 point line which percentage-wise is a terrible shot for most anyone else but she always makes them. Every game she takes at least one of those. But c’mon Lou, can you just move your feet a few inches back so you can credit for the three instead of a two.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
A couple of things Im looking forward to. First is to see Azzi Lou and Caroline on the floor at the same time. The shooting will be un-believable. It will open everything up for Aaliyah Dorka and everybody else. Next year with Paige and Ice back along with next years incoming class well UConn is going to be silly good. I will predict now if we are healthy we will go undefeated.

Last nites game against STJ was a glimpse of we can look forward to. Still the main thing is to get healthy and I believe when we are the SC game will be a war.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Lou shooting 8-9 last night was ridiculous. That’s difficult to do in an empty gym, let alone in a game.

The one thing that drives me crazy is she takes these long shots where she’s just inches in front of the 3 point line which percentage-wise is a terrible shot for most anyone else but she always makes them. Every game she takes at least one of those. But c’mon Lou, can you just move your feet a few inches back so you can credit for the three instead of a two.
Dorka did that at least twice last night

Reaction Score
As Geno said earlier, "you know what you're going to get every night with Lou". She is consistent, game in and game out. Almost guaranteed a 15-18 point night, a few rebounds and assists. She is the steal of the portal, without question!

Reaction Score
What's amazing about Lou is when you think she's not playing well for stretches she slowly gets you back on her bandwagon and you're shaking your head at how good she is so that by end of the game she's got 15-20 points, but for sure big time shot making.

In addition, she's constantly moving on offense, so she's not that type of offensive player where the rest of the team is watching her go one on one. She gets hers through the flow of the offense.

Lastly, she's gotten much better on defense. My hope is to at some point see Azzi, Lou, Caroline (fully healthy) on the same court together playing to their potential.

Reaction Score
Wish we had her for another season so that she could have played with Paige giving us 3 reliable 3-point shooters (Lou, Paige, and Azzi). The healthy 11 from last summer would have been some team right about now.

Reaction Score
As Geno said earlier, "you know what you're going to get every night with Lou". She is consistent, game in and game out. Almost guaranteed a 15-18 point night, a few rebounds and assists. She is the steal of the portal, without question!
I’m pretty sure ESPN had her ranked 29th in their top 30 transfers, pre season. Did a more recent ranking and she was 3rd!

Reaction Score
It is really sad for me that we only have Lou and Dorka. for one last season. I mean, as far as player development, it's probably a good thing to make room for the new kids coming up. But still...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

………………NET….Massey…..SoS
Gonzaga…….38……..27……….60
UConn………..3………3…………1
Lindenwood…349…..351……..270
Alabama……..18…..…36……….59
Illinois…………29…….51……….68

No disrespect is meant to any of the kids on the list. Hitting 50% from three is an impressive accomplishment even unguarded in practice. Kudos to all of the players. My point is that Lou has faced some Top 10 quality defenses and still managed to make threes at a high rate. She’s special and I’m glad she’s a Husky.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What's amazing about Lou is when you think she's not playing well for stretches she slowly gets you back on her bandwagon and you're shaking your head at how good she is so that by end of the game she's got 15-20 points, but for sure big time shot making.

In addition, she's constantly moving on offense, so she's not that type of offensive player where the rest of the team is watching her go one on one. She gets hers through the flow of the offense.

Lastly, she's gotten much better on defense. My hope is to at some point see Azzi, Lou, Caroline (fully healthy) on the same court together playing to their potential.
Most opponents start out with ferocity and their defense is usually at its best early in the gane. It must be dispiriting to play your A+ game and find out you’re tied or up just a few points. It has to be fatiguing guarding UConn because the passing is so good and everyone has to be guarded.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom