Louisville to B12 is spreading all over the web | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Louisville to B12 is spreading all over the web

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
UCONN is a top 20 academic institution, UCONN's athletic department is the tops in the Northeast (East of PENN State for that matter) and nobody is even close. UCONN will be all right in the big picture. It might take 2 or 3 years in a mid major conference but at the end of the day we will be ok. We just need to show some patience. Continue to support the school and we'll be fine. WE ARE UCONN!!!!

If we are in a mid-major conference, we will see a steep decline in all of our major sports. That would be disastrous.

Reaction Score
Hey, the polo team has been a powerhouse without the Big East, why can't the others excel? I'm new, so I should state that this was sarcasm (I refuse to use emoticons).

This all sucks, but we'll still have fun. My wife is secretly happy. I can watch Glee with her now instead of yelling at the tv during games.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
If WVU heads to the sec, and louisville and Cincy head to the Big 12, doesn't Notre Dame joining the ACC become a lot more likely?

Yes, which is why I remain optimistic. If they do not join, it's possible the ACC goes to 16 wit us and Rutgers anyway.

Reaction Score
Imagine the fan reaction in Louisville if their president issued a statement saying we were offered a spot in the Big 12 and we turned it down. We are committed to the Big East.

What would the fan reaction on this board be if Herbst turned down an ACC invite?

Reaction Score
I'll make you an offer Waylon. When the dust settles if we don't end up in a BCS conference I'll go away and never post again. If we do I'll expect you to do the same. Fair deal Mr Gloom & Doom?

We will be in a BCS conference. Believe it. It would be dumb to think otherwise.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I have covered this elsewhere. The right way to sell UConn to the ACC would be to make it look like UConn would succeed without the ACC. You must always leave yourself options, and more importantly, the buyer needs to think you have options.

If the ACC thinks that if UConn doesn't join it will become a MAC team, why bother paying for UConn?

Herbst never publicly said we didn't have options. In fact she's said we are "sought after" and we will be fine. Who ever said she went and told the ACC "you have to take us or we will have no where else to go?" Look Nelson, the ACC isn't stupid. We don't have plausible options and they know it. Nothing she has said has made the ACC decide whether to take us or not.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
We would survive short term and exentually something would work out.

The longer we are stuck in a non-BCS conference, the less likely it becomes that a knight on a white horse (the Big 10) or a passerby (ACC) saves us. Our fanbase and success would likely deteriorate in the MAC because recruits don't want to play Buffalo and Akron.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I'll make you an offer Waylon. When the dust settles if we don't end up in a BCS conference I'll go away and never post again. If we do I'll expect you to do the same. Fair deal Mr Gloom & Doom?

We will be in a BCS conference. Believe it. It would be dumb to think otherwise.

Not a fair bet, for your sake or his sake. Make a bet, but not a permanent one. This is the only site with a significant UConn following

Reaction Score
I have covered this elsewhere. The right way to sell UConn to the ACC would be to make it look like UConn would succeed without the ACC. You must always leave yourself options, and more importantly, the buyer needs to think you have options.

If the ACC thinks that if UConn doesn't join it will become a MAC team, why bother paying for UConn?

Aren't you also the person who is adament that we stay with the baskeball schools? Newsflash for you, the basketball schools aren't letting the Big East expand football the way it needs to be expanded, (hence Navy and AirForce last week). The football league is paralyzed and everyone knows it. Our poker face would have been seen as a bluff.

Reaction Score
Nelson - you had it right that we weren't getting into the ACC and are probably left with whatever the Big East is going to be, barring other major realignment changes.

You've had it wrong by constantly blaming Herbst. Louisville would NOT have agreed to have their TV rights locked. Louisville has been backroom dealing just like everyone else. They didn't get a ticket out because of their AD's poker face, they got it because they actually fit into the Big 12 geographically. Nothing Herbst did caused this, no one was saving the Big East. As the nursery rhyme goes:

Humpty Dumpty (the Big East) sat on a wall
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall
All the King's (Herbst's) horses and all the King's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again.

10_1317091903.jpg

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score

You're undefeated with bets on this board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I have said this before and I will say it again. Protecting the basketball franchise will become the top priority. If BE football collapses, it will be an option to stay with BE basketball and then look for a home for the football team until a better conference spot opens up. We are not making BCS money in football today as we expected to with the next TV contract. Thus, becoming an independent in football for a short time would be an option as the financial hit would not be that bad. Remember, in theory, there will be 3 more BE football seasons, including this one. Also, Boise St. And TCU seem to do ok without a BCS league. So did Louisville before the BE and Utah before the PAC 12. Fans and donors would have to step up to keep developing the athletic programs.

Reaction Score
Aren't you also the person who is adament that we stay with the baskeball schools? Newsflash for you, the basketball schools aren't letting the Big East expand football the way it needs to be expanded, (hence Navy and AirForce last week). The football league is paralyzed and everyone knows it. Our poker face would have been seen as a bluff.

I believe that Herbst has ably played the cards we were dealt. However, the idea of staying with the basketball schools until something better (like an ACC invite) comes around is a good one becuase it's the only way to retain the one thing of value we retain: the Big East name. It's not like by leaving the Big East and the basketball schools we will have better opportunities to add marquee football programs.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I have said this before and I will say it again. Protecting the basketball franchise will become the top priority. If BE football collapses, it will be an option to stay with BE basketball and then look for a home for the football team until a better conference spot opens up. We are not making BCS money in football today as we expected to with the next TV contract. Thus, becoming an independent in football for a short time would be an option as the financial hit would not be that bad. Remember, in theory, there will be 3 more BE football seasons, including this one. Also, Boise St. And TCU seem to do ok without a BCS league. So did Louisville before the BE and Utah before the PAC 12. Fans and donors would have to step up to keep developing the athletic programs.

Protecting BCS status is more important. That's harder to make up.

Reaction Score
I can't believe no one pointed out the irony of Waylon joking about us playing Akron in 3 years. If Akron applied to the Big East, he would WHOLEHEARTEDLY support them and claim that they are an upgrade over Pitt and 'Cuse.

Reaction Score
Protecting BCS status is more important. That's harder to make up.

If protecting the Big East's BCS status was possible, I might agree. But it isn't. We must, therefore, protect basketball first and foremost. It's our only hope to stay relevant if we don't get an invite to a BCS conference in the short term.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
If protecting the Big East's BCS status was possible, I might agree. But it isn't. We must, therefore, protect basketball first and foremost. It's our only hope to stay relevant if we don't get an invite to a BCS conference in the short term.

If UConn isn't a BCS team, they should just drop the program. BCS is an overwhelming concern.

They can stay perfectly relevant outside a BCS conference.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

A league with USF, TCU, WVU doesn't have a BCS bid? The idea of losing a BCS bid is a myth anyways (unless the conference completely disbands).

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If UConn isn't a BCS team, they should just drop the program. BCS is an overwhelming concern.

They can stay perfectly relevant outside a BCS conference.

Huh?

Reaction Score
I do kinda feel since the BCS has already been brought up to Capitol Hill for antitrust reasons, they probably won't touch the Big East's BCS status.... the only question is does the conference actually stay together

Reaction Score
Delany won't call until if/when we get admitted to the AAU...Nebraska was a member when they came aboard altgough they are not now.

Not true. Big 10 knew that Nebraska was losing its AAU accreditation from what I read. Nebraska had been warned it was in danger of losing it. Perhaps it made an exception for Nebraska but the B10 admitted a non-AAU school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom