Louisville to B12 is spreading all over the web | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Louisville to B12 is spreading all over the web

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do you know what Game Theory is? If you don't, look it up before we continue this discussion.

Actually game theory is an excellent decision making tool in this situation where multiple parties have multiple options. A guy at Yale by the name of Nalebuff is a pioneer in the field. I read his book in the 90s. Herbst ought to hire him. Then our superior buddies down the road can show the school in Storrs what real intellectual firepower is all about.

Reaction Score
Mr. Phat -

The Big 10 did not know that Nebraska was going to be booted from the AAU. Why? First, Nebraska was in the AAU when they were accepted and second, no school had ever been voted out of the AAU until Nebraska. Nebraska was voted out for debatable technical reasons and the vote is probably the most controversial thing the AAU has ever done and it will probably never be done again. Two interesting side notes: 1) It is rumored that 2 Big 10 schools voted for Nebraska's ouster and 2) Notre Dame, which has supposedly been offered a spot in the Big 10 a couple of times, is not an AAU member.

Reaction Score
Mr. Phat -

The Big 10 did not know that Nebraska was going to be booted from the AAU. Why? First, Nebraska was in the AAU when they were accepted and second, no school had ever been voted out of the AAU until Nebraska. Nebraska was voted out for debatable technical reasons and the vote is probably the most controversial thing the AAU has ever done and it will probably never be done again. Two interesting side notes: 1) It is rumored that 2 Big 10 schools voted for Nebraska's ouster and 2) Notre Dame, which has supposedly been offered a spot in the Big 10 a couple of times, is not an AAU member.

You keep repeating this but its all untrue. The committee that tossed them was headed by Big 10 presidents. Nebraska was up for ousting BEFORE they joined the Big10. But the head of the committee purposely delayed the vote because she didn't have enough of them to bring the vote to a general vote. When the new committee was formulated, only then did they have enough votes. AND, they weren't tossed but for technical reasons. They were tossed out for not pulling their weight.

Reaction Score
Not true. Big 10 knew that Nebraska was losing its AAU accreditation from what I read. Nebraska had been warned it was in danger of losing it. Perhaps it made an exception for Nebraska but the B10 admitted a non-AAU school.

Nebraska was indeed warned by Penn State's Prez (who was the former Nebraska head) as well as Northwestern's. The warning though occurred shortly after entry into the Big10. But Nebraska's president had plenty of reason to suspect something was afoot when the committee vote to oust Nebraska was postponed for several months. This happened prior to UN joining the Big10.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'll make you an offer Waylon. When the dust settles if we don't end up in a BCS conference I'll go away and never post again. If we do I'll expect you to do the same. Fair deal Mr Gloom & Doom?

We will be in a BCS conference. Believe it. It would be dumb to think otherwise.

Once again sportsart is unhappy with something and decides its my fault.

Reaction Score
A league with USF, TCU, WVU doesn't have a BCS bid?

I don't think it does. And I don't think TCU thinks it does either, which is why I expect we'll never find out. TCU will slink back to its regional conference and forgo the extra traveling expenses it will incurr to play in a non-BCS Big East, thereby preventing us from discovering who is wrong (for the record, I hope you are right....).

Reaction Score
Mr. Phat -

Didn't the outster vote take place before Nebraska got into the B1G, and wasn't it a few B1G schools that cast the vote?

Reaction Score
if the acc loses 2 or 3 teams to the sec and then we get just a acc invite, i think we still go at this point.
Really, you think UConn would still accept an ACC invitation. Yup, that would "Shock the world". ;)

Reaction Score
I don't think it does. And I don't think TCU thinks it does either, which is why I expect we'll never find out. TCU will slink back to its regional conference and forgo the extra traveling expenses it will incurr to play in a non-BCS Big East, thereby preventing us from discovering who is wrong (for the record, I hope you are right....).
Disagree. If (this is a huge if right now) the BE did in fact have TCU and WVU, the AQ status is fine. Shoot, just adding TCU and having SU rankings transfer to the ACC makes the BE a higher ranked league than the ACC. The problem is the remaining schools will not be in the BE 3 years from now.

Reaction Score

Traveling expenses are not only higher for TCU in the MW, the distances are longer. Dallas to Boise and Fresno. Check it out.

Reaction Score
Traveling expenses are not only higher for TCU in the MW, the distances are longer. Dallas to Boise and Fresno. Check it out.

I'll take you word for it, but the pessimist in me still makes me think that TCU doesn't stick around for very long in the Big East.

Reaction Score
I'll take you word for it, but the pessimist in me still makes me think that TCU doesn't stick around for very long in the Big East.

The reason they won't stick around is because the league is unstable, not because of distances.

Reaction Score
Upstater - the "technical" reasons that I am citing are these: Unlike most AAU members, The University of Nebraska's medical school is not included as part of Nebraska's research as they are separate entities. The other technical reason has to do with the exclusion of Dept of Agriculture research in determining total research dollars, but including the ag professors in determining research per faculty member. Both of these issues pushed Nebraska over the edge. I consider these technical issues, whereas others may not.

As for what did the Big 10 know, when they voted in Nebraska, they knew they were under review by the AAU, but since no member had ever been voted out, the Big 10 probably didn't think it would happen. The AAU vote was taken after they were voted into the Big 10, but before they officially joined. I guess the Big 10 could have decided at the last minute not to allow Nebraska in, but ...

Reaction Score
Upstater - the "technical" reasons that I am citing are these: Unlike most AAU members, The University of Nebraska's medical school is not included as part of Nebraska's research as they are separate entities. The other technical reason has to do with the exclusion of Dept of Agriculture research in determining total research dollars, but including the ag professors in determining research per faculty member. Both of these issues pushed Nebraska over the edge. I consider these technical issues, whereas others may not.

As for what did the Big 10 know, when they voted in Nebraska, they knew they were under review by the AAU, but since no member had ever been voted out, the Big 10 probably didn't think it would happen. The AAU vote was taken after they were voted into the Big 10, but before they officially joined. I guess the Big 10 could have decided at the last minute not to allow Nebraska in, but ...

Since Carnegie does not include ag. research dollars in their VHR class, it's no surprise to anyone that ag dollars don't count. Ag research is pure pork, it doesn't go to review, it's not awarded based on the strength of a proposal's merits. You have a point about the medical center, but how much are we talking about? Nebraska's research # is incredibly low.

As for what the Big10 knew, the person heading the committee was a Big10 president. The other core committee member that instigated the ousting was also Big10. Nebraska's President actually ACCUSED the Big10 Presidents that voted against the school of colluding and fixing the ouster. Why? Because they were set to vote on Nebraska (they didn't have the votes) and then postponed the vote to a later date (several months later) when the new committee was constituted. This tells me that certain Big10 Presidents were out to eject Nebraska out of the AAU long before it joined the Big10.

Besides, I just don't put much stock in the AAU as an academic organization. It's not.

Reaction Score
Once again sportsart is unhappy with something and decides its my fault.

In this case he's unhappy with the tone and frequency of you making the same point over and over. I am not saying you don't have the right to do that, but exactly who should he blame for that if not you?

Reaction Score
ul seems to be a lock for the b12 at this point. .

how do you figure?
i really don't see any reason for UofL to bolt to the B12 b/c the BE is a better fit in every regard. one thing you have to remember is that as much as "football drives the buss", Louisville fans care more about bball than football. by a lot. they love the BE tournament in MSG every year, and the BE is unquestionably a better conference in bball. on the football side of things, the B12 may be the one conference less stable than our own. they're even more top heavy, and if Tx and OU do leave, the B12 will be in serious danger of losing their BCS bid. in the BE, Louisville will likely play in a BCS game or two over the next decade, can you really say that about Louisville in the B12?

Reaction Score
Wow. Thats all I can add to this thread- since I don't know anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom