Maestro
Reaction Score
beginning of second half:

Louisville: not great
Duke: Lifeless

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Halftime stats. 14 turnovers, 8 made field goals, 3 assists. We are NOT a top 35 basketball team.
umm - have you seen the competition for #30? :eek::rolleyes::cool:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Jeff is coaching up the young Louisville kids, they're coming along.
On the other hand, hard to see a more depressed, disinterested team than the Dookies.
Well, I suppose UTenn gives them a run for their money but at least the Lady Vols play a good 1st quarter.

Reaction Score
How can a team with this much talent be so bad?

I know the default position seems to be 'blame the coach' but thing is.....it could be that the talent was overrated or not scouted properly. Individual skill does not necessarily mean good for the 'team'.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
3 or 4 offensive rebounds on one play by L'ville, finally score, up 22
The TV folks repeatedly compliment McCallie
Of course, its all the players fault

Reaction Score
I thank God for small mercies.
The absence of a Lady Blue Devils Nation Basketball webpage is among them.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I thank God for small mercies.
The absence of a Lady Blue Devils Nation Basketball webpage is among them.
What is that? A message board, or the team's official page?

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Halftime stats. 14 turnovers, 8 made field goals, 3 assists. We are NOT a top 35 basketball team.

I know it is hard to root for a team that is struggling, and loyalty to a struggling team is a great virtue.

However, if you'd like to switch your allegiance to UConn, at least you will already have the correct color scheme!;)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Easy. Just look at Tennessee LOL
Tennessee spanked Auburn (11-4 before today's game), 79-52. First of all, I need to say that I saw spurts where the LVs actually ran an offense, passing the ball to move the defense and find the open player. Mercedes Russell was actually effective for the portion of the game I saw. The good plays were interspersed with brain cramp plays (run like a bat out of hell down the floor and heave up a 17' shot with no defender within 5' of the shooter) but, overall, it did seem that Tenn looked more in control. Well, unless Auburn pressed then it was a horrorshow for the LVs. However, Auburn, which had an 11-4 record, got those wins by beating Towson, Coppin State, Savannah State, Southeastern Louisiana, et al, ran no discernible offense and most of the players couldn't throw the ball into the ocean from a boat. But still, nice win for the LVs and, finally, some decent offense and shooting.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
But still, nice win for the LVs and, finally, some decent offense and shooting.

This is why, despite everything, on a given day they can be dangerous. Lot's of talent, most often underachieving or worse.
But with the natural, god-given gifts to scare people.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This is why, despite everything, on a given day they can be dangerous. Lot's of talent, most often underachieving or worse.
But with the natural, god-given gifts to scare people.
The Huskies would win by 30 points, and I'm being generous. The Auburn press scared the bejeezus out of Tennessee and as a result, the LVs had 19 TOs forced by a defense I wouldn't exactly call scary. Auburn also didn't try to rebound after shooting, just ran up the court to try to slow down the LV offense. I wouldn't take much from this game other than the fact that Tennessee really can run an offense, not necessarily consistently or well, just that it is somewhere in its repertoire.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
It is difficult for me to imagine a team's official page called "Lady Blue Devils Nation".

Does anyone else find the term "Lady" added to a team's nickname to be a bit archaic? Maybe it's because my mom was a big time feminist, but I was raised to treat women the same as men. Why should their team nicknames be different? I was so glad when we changed Lady Gamecocks" to simply "Gamecocks" a number of years ago. What do the women on here think?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I really thought Duke would figure it out this season, maybe they will by tournament time but they actually seem to be getting worse in every game.

I don't know. I had high expectations for this team.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Does anyone else find the term "Lady" added to a team's nickname to be a bit archaic? Maybe it's because my mom was a big time feminist, but I was raised to treat women the same as men. Why should their team nicknames be different? I was so glad when we changed Lady Gamecocks" to simply "Gamecocks" a number of years ago. What do the women on here think?

Yes, I agree with you. But if this is what the school and its fans want, then I'm respectful of that. Perhaps you are aware that their AD ditched the "Lady" modifier on the rest (or most of the rest) of the women's teams, but the basketball fans put up a large enough protest that the basketball team has kept it.

PS - this is coming from a male fan.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There is a fanatic group of Uconn fans that get very upset when anyone makes the mistake of adding 'Lady' to 'Huskies' especially when it is a TV personality. It is an archaic holdover from prior to women's teams receiving some equality of standing at the college and high school level. It has to a large degree disappeared, but there has been especially in the south some holdover. For programs that were especially renowned prior to a general acknowledgement of it being less than an honor there is a stronger loyalty to the naming convention - there was a huge howl when the TN AD tried to do away with the Lady Vols name and logo. Thankfully there aren't a lot of teams that use feminine and masculine names for their teams - though I wonder if the male teams at Delaware feel emasculated when referred to as Hens? The only ones I can think of are Cowboys and Cowgirls for a few universities and that isn't that objectionable.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tennessee spanked Auburn (11-4 before today's game), 79-52. First of all, I need to say that I saw spurts where the LVs actually ran an offense, passing the ball to move the defense and find the open player. Mercedes Russell was actually effective for the portion of the game I saw. The good plays were interspersed with brain cramp plays (run like a bat out of hell down the floor and heave up a 17' shot with no defender within 5' of the shooter) but, overall, it did seem that Tenn looked more in control. Well, unless Auburn pressed then it was a horrorshow for the LVs. However, Auburn, which had an 11-4 record, got those wins by beating Towson, Coppin State, Savannah State, Southeastern Louisiana, et al, ran no discernible offense and most of the players couldn't throw the ball into the ocean from a boat. But still, nice win for the LVs and, finally, some decent offense and shooting.
Fair enough. I'll be the first to admit a bias against anything related to Tennessee. You know how much I hate that program. And a large portion of their entitled online fan base only makes it worse.

But... You gotta give credit where it's due. If they did play something resembling offense, then clearly they are capable of it. I suspect their games will be up and down affairs - they may beat some ranked teams (like aTm coming up, who seems to be on a downward spiral), or even Kentucky or Miss State, but because they lack chemistry, cohesion, consistency, whatever, will also throw out stinkers like against Va Tech and Florida.

When they beat a ranked team, I'm sure we will see their fans pop up on our board to talk about how they are "moving in the right direction". I'll buy that if they make the elite 8. If they don't, then nothing they did this year moved them in the "right direction". Then we will get to hear all about how they will be so much better next year because they only lose X, Y and Z, and have so much coming back with more experience etc etc.

For me, though, I'll be rooting for them to flame out in the first round.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Yes, I agree with you. But if this is what the school and its fans want, then I'm respectful of that. Perhaps you are aware that their AD ditched the "Lady" modifier on the rest (or most of the rest) of the women's teams, but the basketball fans put up a large enough protest that the basketball team has kept it.

PS - this is coming from a male fan.

It was Tennessee that did that, I know, but I didn't realize Duke did that, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom