Louisville not that good and ND not that bad | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Louisville not that good and ND not that bad

Reaction Score
Anyone informed the Louisville people that this one performance is something UConn has done routinely for decades?

The counter is his tweet is that the two teams are playing on February 12 and Louisville can earn the number one raking by winning that game. So I don't see many who had UConn higher going into yesterday (all 32 in both polls) reversing their votes unless that happens. A few might, though, and that certainly would make for a big topic of discussion next week here in the yard.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
perhaps you're right but when he/she said "we're not really any better roster-wise than ND" they should have said numerically....
Seemed pretty obvious to me that's what the poster meant.

Reaction Score
Really simple conclusion. A ridiculous game for both teams. Forget it and move on for both teams. It was great for LVille and tuff for ND.

I have to admit--I like Notre Dame! Watching the second half --of ND -Lullyville--to me in a word was disgusting. ND is better than that--but not his ND--short of everything it needs in every category.
Muffet and Company I feel bad for them.\
Whether Louisville is this good--or a fluke--I tend to think this isn't a true fluke, not abortion. They have some fire power.
The question for me is: How will they compare to Uconn. My ignorant belief is they won't. Ignorant in that I don't know what I don't know.

Reaction Score
I have to admit--I like Notre Dame! Watching the second half --of ND -Lullyville--to me in a word was disgusting. ND is better than that--but not his ND--short of everything it needs in every category.
Whether Louisville is this good--or a fluke--I tend to think this isn't a true fluke, not abortion. They have some fire power.
The question for me is: How will they compare to Uconn. My ignorant belief is they won't. Ignorant in that I don't know what I don't know.

I'm not sure who Louisville plays next but it wouldn't surprise me if they came back down to earth in the coming days

Reaction Score
The reasoning that ND was limited because of injuries and only 7 scholarship players? Nah. I remember UConn playing six, over and over. ND was sucking wind before the end of Q2.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
that's why you're "Smarty Pants"
images

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm not sure who Louisville plays next but it wouldn't surprise me if they came back down to earth in the coming days
I’m actually hoping Louisville runs the table up until the matchup with UConn on Feb 12. Right now, I would suggest Louisville has only 2 games between now and then that will test them: a home game vs #13 FSU and on the road vs a good Syracuse team.

As for UConn, I see only one test leading up to the game on 2/12, vs TX on Monday night.

So on 2/12, we could have two undefeated teams ranked #1 & #2 at Gampel on national tv. I can hardly wait.

Reaction Score
The real issue for me is how really good UConn is?

We have fine passers, terrific conditioning, some great defensive players and a whole lot of excellent shooters.

But somehow, the woman's game appears different this season.
Less athletically gifted and less well-coached teams don't just thrown in the towel; they compete. And what they lack in sophistication that make up in grit.
And our team, for all its skill and sophistication, may be soft.

Geno has expressed concern.
Gabby has expressed concern.

Fact 1. We're not really any better roster-wise than ND if coach doesn't trust his freshman and sophs.
Fact 2. ND was run off the court this evening and was completely gassed in the 2nd half. They stayed with us, much longer.

Maybe, none of this matters; that most games will be like the one before last.
But in the tourney; everyone will be playing their hardest.

I just worry that we're ripe to be taken.
And I'm sure Geno will remind his charges how thoroughly ND was demolished tonight and why.

I can't say you are WRONG because your opinion is such that you are never right or wrong--it is YOUR opinion.

Factoid 1. Every year regardless of the quality of players--Geno has concerns
Factoid2. Geno NEVER truly trusts Freshmen, and rightly so--they have to be proven.\
Factoid3. Uconn is ALWAYS ripe for the taking---but who is doing the taking??
Factoid4. ND---Lost significant players since prior to the start of the year--Short handed?? You bet.

Few teams in WBB PEAK as perfectly as Uconn--Geno brings them along so they Peak in the last 6 games of the year. Louisville, may peak too soon--as it appears.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Next up for Louisville is Pitt. Should not be a difficult game for the birds. Follow that with Florida State, Miami and Wake Forrest. Then Virginia, the Cuse and Clemson before coming to Gampel.

FSU and Miami are possible trap games but I think the birds prevail setting up a match of the unbeatens on 2/12.

Reaction Score
Next up for Louisville is Pitt. Should not be a difficult game for the birds. Follow that with Florida State, Miami and Wake Forrest. Then Virginia, the Cuse and Clemson before coming to Gampel.

FSU and Miami are possible trap games but I think the birds prevail setting up a match of the unbeatens on 2/12.

I would say the Florida State game could be there demise............they looked really good against Miami last night and can beat almost anybody when playing well..............

Reaction Score

What is it you don't understand? The motivation part?
mo·ti·va·tion
ˌmōdəˈvāSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: motivation; plural noun: motivations
  1. the reason or reasons one has for acting or behaving in a particular way.
    "escape can be a strong motivation for travel"
    synonyms: motive, motivating force, incentive, stimulus, stimulation, inspiration, inducement, incitement, spur, reason;
    informalcarrot
    "his motivation was financial"
    • the general desire or willingness of someone to do something.
      "keep staff up to date and maintain interest and motivation"
      synonyms: enthusiasm, drive, ambition, initiative, determination, enterprise;
      informalget-up-and-go
      "keep up the staff's motivation"

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would say the Florida State game could be there demise..they looked really good against Miami last night and can beat almost anybody when playing well....
Agree that FSU will be a test, but it’s at Lou, so an upset is unlikely IMO.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What is it you don't understand?
Why you think there is any possibility of Louisville being ranked above UCONN because they beat ND.

Reaction Score
Why you think there is any possibility of Louisville being ranked above UCONN because they beat ND.

I don't, but people in the media, both tweeted about it and brought it up in the post game press conference.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree that UConn is "not really any better roster-wise then ND"...unfortunately with their injury depleted roster, I don't see anybody on ND as athletic or as all-around brilliant as Williams, as offensively effective up front as Collier, as tough defensively as Nurse or as intimidating as Stevens......I suppose you could compare Mabrey to KLS but if you asked ND fans I think they'd trade for KLS any day of the week......sadly ND doesn't have a point guard like CD either so other then Ogunbowale I'm not sure where you find ND to be any where near even talent wise....
I agree with everything you said except that there is any comparison between Mabrey and KLS. KLS is much bigger and better. Otherwise, I totally agree. ND is nowhere near what UConn is. Their defense in particular was so weak in this game. Durr was shooting open shot after open shot.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I beleive it will start out with Kia on Durr. But I would not be surprised if Geno pulled a switch and put Gabby on Durr. Now that would be fun!
Kia will be on Durr the majority of the time and Gabby will be on Hines-Allen. UConn, of course, will do its usually switching to cover the screens and movements but moving Gabby to Durr forces Pheesa on Hines-Allen, while not bad, Pheesa is not the same lock down defender that Gabby is. With Kia and Gabby on D, Louisville will have to rely on the others to step up and score. The other interesting point made here is we have 6 players who average double figures in points with anyone of them capable of going off-that's super tough to defend so Durr and Hines-Allen will have to play both ends of the floor. The game will be the most competitive of the year to that point but I still see UConn prevailing by 12-16 points.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
BroadwayVA... I sure hope you meant... "this isn't a true fluke, not an aberration" ??

Reaction Score
BroadwayVA... I sure hope you meant... "this isn't a true fluke, not an aberration" ??
You are correct----aberrations---but maybe that post should have an abortion
Thanks..

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Kia will be on Durr the majority of the time and Gabby will be on Hines-Allen. UConn, of course, will do its usually switching to cover the screens and movements but moving Gabby to Durr forces Pheesa on Hines-Allen, while not bad, Pheesa is not the same lock down defender that Gabby is. With Kia and Gabby on D, Louisville will have to rely on the others to step up and score. The other interesting point made here is we have 6 players who average double figures in points with anyone of them going off-that's super tough to defend so Durr and Hines-Allen will have to play both ends of the floor. The came will be the most competitive of the year to that point but I still see UConn prevailing by 12-16 points.
Absolutely agree. The other thing that will happen is when Louisville tries to run their high ball screen with Durr and Hines-Allen, either Kia will tenaciously fight over the top of the screen or Gabby will jump out hard to guard Durr with Kia locking up Hines-Allen. No easy open shots or drives to the basket like we witnessed repeatedly vs ND.

Reaction Score
I don't, but people in the media, both tweeted about it and brought it up in the post game press conference.
In reality, the only poll that matters is the one that results from the National Championship Game.

Reaction Score
You are correct----aberrations---but maybe that post should have an abortion
Thanks..
Had to make sure...cause the word that appeared could get some less than favorable reactions.

Got ur back!

Reaction Score
Louisville has one of their best shooting games all season and beat the heck out of ND, while they only beat Air Force a 0-15 team 62-50. Which team shows up on 2/12.
Durr and Carter sat out that game but Cards did play badly vs Air Force

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Anyone informed the Louisville people that this one performance is something UConn has done routinely for decades?

It's not even a fair comparison because ND had Thompson for the UConn game. And of course, Williams and KLS were not 100% when they played ND.

RPI, Sagarin, Massey, strength of schedule. *Everything* else favors UConn.

Reaction Score
Had to make sure...cause the word that appeared could get some less than favorable reactions.

Got ur back!
It will take an army of English experts to "have my back". But surely, I do appreciate the catch---I've said this before, and it's true, my brain thinks one thing, my fingers type another. Have no idea where "abortion" came from---haven't needed one for 50 years.
Again, I appreciate the catch...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom