Louisville not that good and ND not that bad | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Louisville not that good and ND not that bad

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Just looked at Louisville's ACC schedule.... they got Duke, ND, and Florida State all at home this year. Toughest road game is in Charlottesville... or perhaps in Syracuse. I dont think they will go undefeated in the conference.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Durr is for real. Be interesting to see how she does when going up against a lock down defender like Kia and a great switching defense like UConn.

Agreed. That UConn-Louisville game just got a whole lot bigger.
Because people want to see if Louisville can do to UConn what they did to ND.

ND was #2 with a single loss to #1 UConn. There is no shame in losing to #1. UConn is still the elephant in the room.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We'll find out in one month, huh? However good you think--or fear--that Louisville is, I suspect most BYers are awfully glad that the Feb 12 game is going to be played at UConn.

The KFC yum Center will never look the same again to ND. More like a house of horrors. And yes UC should be glad this one is at home. The Cardinals are not very hospitable lately.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Not sure I agree that UConn is "not really any better roster-wise then ND"...unfortunately with their injury depleted roster, I don't see anybody on ND as athletic or as all-around brilliant as Williams, as offensively effective up front as Collier, as tough defensively as Nurse or as intimidating as Stevens......I suppose you could compare Mabrey to KLS but if you asked ND fans I think they'd trade for KLS any day of the week......sadly ND doesn't have a point guard like CD either so other then Ogunbowale I'm not sure where you find ND to be any where near even talent wise....
I may be wrong but, I believe the poster was referring to the number of players who play. ND has seven available scholarship players and UCONN mostly plays seven scholarship players. So the depth is the same, not the talent level.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Pointing the bear hurts from what I hear.

After such a dominant game, rumblings of the No. 1 ranking spread among the media before Walz entered the press conference.

When asked if they should be ranked No. 1, Walz had a simple response: No.

“Leave that to UConn,” Walz said. “You don’t want point the bear.”

Women's basketball throttles No. 2 Notre Dame 100-67 • The Louisville Cardinal

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Jeff's Post Game Press Conference:

Don't Poke the Bear. Reporter comments Especially when you have to play them.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Muffet McGraw:

Video Image is incorrect, no problem with audio

Reaction Score
Comparative scores mean very little. They must be assessed in context. for example Louisville had really close games against Duke, GT, South Dakota State, and Ohio State. Just check the comparative scores of those teams and that would become evident.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on the ND-Lou game:
- Lou has demonstrated that they are a final 4 caliber team.
- While I’m fairly confident that UConn will win the game on 2/12, it should be one terrific WBB game.
- Injuries finally caught up with ND. Lou was much quicker and exposed ND’s lack of a pg.
- ND’s defense has been suspect all season. UConn exposed the Irish D in the 4th qtr, while Lou exposed their D for the entire game.

Reaction Score
We went to the game and just got back home. I was not expecting Notre Dame to be blown-out and crushed from the game's start, but Jeff Walz and the Louisville Cardinals showed that they could take great advantage of a Notre Dame team that was ponderously slow by comparison.

The better team won so easily tonight that I don't expect Notre Dame to change its fortune in a rematch.

I agree. They certainly passed the eye to me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UCONN has allowed a team to shoot 50% once in about the last 500 games. I suspect Louisville will have a tougher time shooting 65% in Storrs than they did tonight, but I am certainly hoping for a great game by both teams.

Exactly. Louisville shot the three ball lights out last night, and some of that will be hard to stop. If they manage to play equally well against us, and that's a very big if, our shut-down defense would probably hold them to around 70. And I say we drop 80 on them no problem.

Should be one hell of a game!

Reaction Score
Anyone informed the Louisville people that this one performance is something UConn has done routinely for decades?

I hope that Louisville leap frogs UConn for the #1 ranking. I am positive that Coach Auriemma would use that as motivation for the team.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
As a matter of fact it was one of their best shooting games in their HISTORY. In 1988 they had a game where they shot .690. This wasn't too far off.

Here's a case where it would be useful to have the stats through three quarters in both cases. Louisville shooting dropped off markedly when the subs came in. They might have been north of 70% before that.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame doesn't have to be bad for the Cards to be considered quite good...the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Both teams are very well coached and have very skilled guards. Yes, Notre Dame's roster has been depleted, but every single player on the Louisville squad played their hearts out, so they deserve the credit tonight.
It is now very clear that Maybry is not a point guard and also cannot guard a chair, poor cocky attitude must anger her teammates

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
First - I very much doubt Durr and Hines-Allen are going to go off for 30+ each on UConn.

Second - Louisville is not going to shoot 65% for the game against us.

Third - we know this and so do our opponents. Gampel Pavillion is a nightmare for our opponents. It's loud and intimidating - home court advantage!

Fourth - we have 6 players averaging double figures. That is a defensive nightmare for any team. Louisville can't match that.

Reaction Score
Pointing the bear hurts from what I hear.

After such a dominant game, rumblings of the No. 1 ranking spread among the media before Walz entered the press conference.

When asked if they should be ranked No. 1, Walz had a simple response: No.

“Leave that to UConn,” Walz said. “You don’t want point the bear.”

Women's basketball throttles No. 2 Notre Dame 100-67 • The Louisville Cardinal

I hope that Louisville leap frogs UConn for the #1 ranking. I am positive that Coach Auriemma would use that as motivation for the team.

;) heh heh...ya think Jeff Walz knows that too?

Lots of motivation in both Louisville and Storrs. Look forward to an exciting game with lots of buildup.

Reaction Score
I really look forward to watching Kia guarding Durr, assuming that's the matchup.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I really look forward to watching Kia guarding Durr, assuming that's the matchup.

I beleive it will start out with Kia on Durr. But I would not be surprised if Geno pulled a switch and put Gabby on Durr. Now that would be fun!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I beleive it will start out with Kia on Durr. But I would not be surprised if Geno pulled a switch and put Gabby on Durr. Now that would be fun!
One of the things I noticed in last night’s ND-Lou game is that the Irish did a terrible job defending ball screens. Durr would either run her defender into a high ball screen and then pull up for an open jumper, or a slower ND post player would try to switch on Durr who would blow by her for a layup or short jumper.

Against UConn, Kia will fight over the ball screen like a bulldog (Husky?) chasing a bone. If and when the Huskies switch, Durr will face Gabby, Pheesa or Z, all of whom are either more athletic or longer than anyone on ND.

Reaction Score
I may be wrong but, I believe the poster was referring to the number of players who play. ND has seven available scholarship players and UCONN mostly plays seven scholarship players. So the depth is the same, not the talent level.

perhaps you're right but when he/she said "we're not really any better roster-wise than ND" they should have said numerically..............

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
156971fba7f5a07b9a5e6ccf8531bd2be31cb49a4cc658e9fae93a71cf8330b5.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom