Louisville Dumps Tennessee | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Louisville Dumps Tennessee

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I would bet the ranch that Kim is going to show her players a tape of the Louisville/Baylor game of a few years ago when a combination of fantastic shooting by the Cards
and some rather physical dealings with Griner led to one of the biggest upsets [imo] in NCAA history.

May it happen again....good luck!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Kia, Gabby and if Azura will be in my top 5 next year
Azura will stay 2 years IMHO. Geno would never have taken her for just 1 year. I'm betting she promised to stay 2 years. She can change her mind of course, but why? She will likely win at least 2 NC's while at UCONN and possibly 3! Having said that, Lou, Collier or Stevens - what order do THEY go? They will be a big 3 that will rival, and possibly exceed, Stewie, Mo and Morgan.

Reaction Score
If Tennessee had Kia Nurse on their team then they would still be in the tournament. She would take no prisoners in the locker room. She is the leader that UT sorely lacks. Just implausible that so much talent could achieve so little. Lesson learned is recruiting the best talent doesn't necessarily correlate to best results. Thank goodness Geno understands what it takes to put the Right team on the floor.
in fact, if Shea was either coaching or on the staff they would have done much better.

I read on the TN board, she was recruited by TN. Not sure if this is true.

Reaction Score
I've never been a Tennessee fan, although I respect what the program's history and Pat Summitt have done for women, women's sport, and women's basketball. In that regard this decline is hard to watch. A good Tennessee is good for the game since we don't have that many blue blood programs yet. I hope they can get back on the right track eventually.

Lady Vols fans might want to be careful what they wish for regarding a new coach. Who do you get as a replacement? This season Warlick didn't seem to have control of the locker room (to put it nicely), but she has had some post-season success during her years there. That's such a pressure filled job, taking over the late great Pat Summitt's chair. I'm not sure anyone was going to have success immediately upon filling her shoes -- at least not success by those immense standards. It's been a long day so someone might be able to correct me, but off the top of my head I can't think of any coaching greats who stepped down and their successor met their level of success.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I've never been a Tennessee fan, although I respect what the program's history and Pat Summitt have done for women, women's sport, and women's basketball. In that regard this decline is hard to watch. A good Tennessee is good for the game since we don't have that many blue blood programs yet. I hope they can get back on the right track eventually.

Lady Vols fans might want to be careful what they wish for regarding a new coach. Who do you get as a replacement? This season Warlick didn't seem to have control of the locker room (to put it nicely), but she has had some post-season success during her years there. That's such a pressure filled job, taking over the late great Pat Summitt's chair. I'm not sure anyone was going to have success immediately upon filling her shoes -- at least not success by those immense standards. It's been a long day so someone might be able to correct me, but off the top of my head I can't think of any coaching greats who stepped down and their successor met their level of success.
I generally agree with your post, but would point out that Holly has now been at TN for 32 seasons, the last 5 as HC. I get that replacing a legend is never easy, but the thing that should upset Vol fans the most is the trajectory of the program, which is headed in the wrong direction.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I generally agree with your post, but would point out that Holly has now been at TN for 32 seasons, the last 5 as HC. I get that replacing a legend is never easy, but the thing that should upset Vol fans the most is the trajectory of the program, which is headed in the wrong direction.

Yes and I'm surprised at what I've been reading from some TENN fans. They don't want to fire Holly because of the really great recruiting class coming in. They think they'll lose it if she gets the boot. It would seem apparent by now that she doesn't have the ability to harness the already immense talents she's already had at her disposal. Do they really think a new wave of kids is going to be the magic ingredient? Without any direction they're just spinning their wheels.

Reaction Score

Definitely true, and good point. I guess that leads into another point: a 32-seasons-long assistant who is more or less (at least to my eye as someone who is far from an expert on Lady Vols basketball) attempting a run with "Pat's" basic system. Maybe there is also an element of a style of play that's out of date now. I don't know. I don't envy the situation, is all I do know.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
These are my thoughts. As far as this year. The loss of Cooper did hurt. However I do think overall the team. Took some steps forward over the previous year. Most players improved their stats over the previous year. I think next year with the freshman coming in, and Cooper back. If Both Mercedes and Diamond return. The team is a FF caliber team.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The team is a FF caliber team.

Isn't that the rallying cry for Vols fans every year? It's been a pretty long drought, almost a decade.

Reaction Score
I was at work until 7 pm (PST). I did not watch the game. I can only tell you some of the staff that happened after the game.

1. Per Vol Nation, Warlick and Walz passed each other at lightning speed perfunctorily shaking hands.
Holly (and Maria Cornelius?) believes that Walz cheats. At this point no complaints have been filed.

2. This was a historic loss for Tennessee. Never before had the Lady Vols exited the tournament in the round of 32.
The Wikipedia entry for Lady Vols Basketball was updated by 10 pm (PST) .
I am not elated over this. We too have a chance for a historic exit in the NCAA final game.

3. Russell's post game comments have been interpreted by some to indicate her return next year.
She said that the loss would be a valuable experience next season (not a direct quote).

I will add one post game observation about the Duke game.

4. By midnight the Duke women's basketball forum on Devil's Den had one thread on the game with 9 entries. Two entries were about the game.
Outbreak of plague in Durham?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You really think so? Look at the class they have coming in next year and 2018 is off to a good start for them as well. I think DD leaving will be addition by subtraction. I think we need to wait till Tenn is post DD before really evaluating what Warlick achieves.

I can tell you it appears to me that Russell has improved a fair amount, and so has Nared so far. UCONN fans are often critical of the lack of player development at certain schools. Of course we feel they would have developed more under Geno, but it will be interesting to see what Warlick does post DD with a team that she actually (hopefully) is in charge of instead of the players being in charge...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You really think so? Look at the class they have coming in next year and 2018 is off to a good start for them as well. I think DD leaving will be addition by subtraction. I think we need to wait till Tenn is post DD before really evaluating what Warlick achieves.

I can tell you it appears to me that Russell has improved a fair amount, and so has Nared so far. UCONN fans are often critical of the lack of player development at certain schools. Of course we feel they would have developed more under Geno, but it will be interesting to see what Warlick does post DD with a team that she actually (hopefully) is in charge of instead of the players being in charge...
I guess I would have to say that the incoming class represents only potential, not success, at this point in time, and it wasn't like DD showed up at TN uninvited. Holly brought her in.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
and it wasn't like DD showed up at TN uninvited. Holly brought her in.

Not only that, but DeShield's arrival had Tennessee fans crowing about being back as Championship contenders. That didn't quite work out, so now it's "addition by subtraction" and hoping for the next new superstar to spur their revival. I think we've heard this before.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
These are my thoughts. As far as this year. The loss of Cooper did hurt. However I do think overall the team. Took some steps forward over the previous year. Most players improved their stats over the previous year. I think next year with the freshman coming in, and Cooper back. If Both Mercedes and Diamond return. The team is a FF caliber team.

But that's the problem. You have FF caliber talent year in and year out. What you don't have is a FF caliber coaching staff.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
But that's the problem. You have FF caliber talent year in and year out. What you don't have is a FF caliber coaching staff.
Well fortunately for UConn. Your coach didn't have health issue. Then had to step down. I do not know the full extent of how that effected the team and recruits. I think that Westbrook will be a star. As far as Holly is concerned. Like Gary Blair said she's doing a great job. It's hard to replace a legend.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just watch a game TN plays and ask yourself if they are well coached. They have no help defense or defensive rotation and do not appear to have scouted the other teams tendencies. They have no rhyme nor reason on offense, they are a very poor passing team, they are a poor shooting team, and they have no discipline. They spent all of last year having no clue how to attack a zone defense and I don't believe they showed they had figured it out this year either, but i didn't watch enough games - if they cannot exploit their superior athleticism they struggle. Nared is a player, but she is the only player on the current team that I think has shown any development in her time at TN - Russell, she is maybe older and a little wiser, but her game is pretty much identical to what she brought from HS in a more mature body.

TN has a lot of AAs and they are getting another shipment next year - but having AAs has never been the issue - in the last 8 years pretty much every AA they recruited and there have been a lot, has mysteriously been grossly over-hyped out of HS and clearly not that good or worthy of their AA status by the time they left TN. That is an impressive record they are building - the program where AAs go to fade away.
Current TN players in the WNBA:
Pats Star
Parker - great career still going on grad: 2008
First class to graduate after Pat stepped down:
Stricklen - 2012 1st round (2nd) started 34 of 163 games in her career and averages 18.8 mpg - last year 11 mpg with 0 starts.
Johnson - 2012 1st round (4th) solid starter at power forward. 2 time all star
Baugh - 2012 3rd round selection made a roster for the first time in 2014 and has played 78 games in three years as a reserve playing 12 minutes a game
Last two Pat recruiting classes:
Simmons - 2014 3rd round, made first team in 2016 and played 25 games with 6 minutes per game
Harrison - 2015 grad (injured) 2016 reserve center playing 7.5 minutes per game.

So at this point with all the AAs that have come through the TN program and graduated in the last 6 years since Holly took over there is one starter/all star, and 4 role players. Not very impressive. And three of them took two years of pro development before they made a team. On edit - i think Baugh was injured when she was drafted so has taken two years to get healthy?

Reaction Score
That game was a dumpster fire. Neither team looked impressive. The thing that jumped out at me, is how small Louisville's guards are. Kia Nurse would have no problem guarding Durr. Nether team has anyone who can guard Collier or Williams, nevermind KLS. However, Louisville season will come to an end the next game.
That's what we thought in 2013 too :cool:

Reaction Score
Will DeShields and Russell bail for the WNBA?
See ya...
upload_2017-3-21_20-18-47.png

Reaction Score
The $64,000 question: How long do you think it will be before DeShields announces her decision to leave for the W? The tea leaves say within 3 days after the conclusion of the tournament. I think she's already decided, but she'll wait until after the conclusion of the games, so not to appear to upstage them.
I believe the rule is she has to declare by the official declaration date, or within 24 hours after her last game should that game fall after the declaration date. The date is typically before the finals of the NCAA tourney (the draft is within a week or so after the NCAA final game). Diamond's last game is done, so her decision is simply governed by the standard date and she must declare by that date. So she will not be able to wait until 3 days after the conclusion of the tournament.

Reaction Score
Azura will stay 2 years IMHO. Geno would never have taken her for just 1 year. I'm betting she promised to stay 2 years. She can change her mind of course, but why? She will likely win at least 2 NC's while at UCONN and possibly 3! Having said that, Lou, Collier or Stevens - what order do THEY go? They will be a big 3 that will rival, and possibly exceed, Stewie, Mo and Morgan.
That's what you kept saying about Tuck. I won't say "It ain't happenin'." But it probably ain't happenin'. Just enjoy her while she's here

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes and I'm surprised at what I've been reading from some TENN fans. They don't want to fire Holly because of the really great recruiting class coming in. They think they'll lose it if she gets the boot. It would seem apparent by now that she doesn't have the ability to harness the already immense talents she's already had at her disposal. Do they really think a new wave of kids is going to be the magic ingredient? Without any direction they're just spinning their wheels.

So true. Pay me now or pay me later....Holly isn't going to become a great coach at this point in her life, so get on with it Tennessee (if it's not Holly's coaching, then it has to be her recruiting). Loyalty to Holly is wonderful, but do they want to win or not. To say that Tennessee loses all their recruits is kind of silly as I don't think the kids have a whole lot of options at this point (unless they want to sit out a year) as the commitment is to the school, not the coach. Open the wallet wide bring in one of the many good, successful coaches out there, give him/her a "5-year, no cut" contract, and let whoever it is go at it. But you have to do it now. He/she has to impress/resell the recruits to a degree, work on the next wave of recruits and be in place, ready to roll by late spring. Not saying it's easy, but it can be done. Never happen, but it is sad to see a great program slide. And the longer you wait, the longer the turn around takes.

Following a legend is near to impossible (as Geno's successor will also find out) simply because they AREN'T the legend. Following a good coach is possible (eg. Neighbors in Washington), but a genuine legend....NFW. Best situation is following the "failed" coach who followed the legend - the program likely has a big, visible name, the resources are in place, and the proposition you're selling, "I think you're the caliber of player and person I need to return XYZ Univ to its rightful place" is compelling. Heck, I'll probably be six feet under by the time Geno moves on but it is fun to speculate once in a while.

Reaction Score
Well fortunately for UConn. Your coach didn't have health issue. Then had to step down. I do not know the full extent of how that effected the team and recruits. I think that Westbrook will be a star. As far as Holly is concerned. Like Gary Blair said she's doing a great job. It's hard to replace a legend.

I haven't thought for even a bit since she took over that she is doing a good job.... Understood it is hard to take over for a legend.... but based on 35 years of experience, 5 as head coach and 1 more as head coach filling in for Pat, don't you think she would have the hang of it by now... and she even admits that she does not know how to fix things.... do you really think she is competent? and to your suggestion about Westbrook, do you think she will get proper coaching?

Reaction Score
Following a legend is near to impossible (as Geno's successor will also find out) simply because they AREN'T the legend. Following a good coach is possible (eg. Neighbors in Washington), but a genuine legend....NFW. Best situation is following the "failed" coach who followed the legend - the program likely has a big, visible name, the resources are in place, and the proposition you're selling, "I think you're the caliber of player and person I need to return XYZ Univ to its rightful place" is compelling. Heck, I'll probably be six feet under by the time Geno moves on but it is fun to speculate once in a while.
Exception: Jimmy Johnson replacing Tom Landry

Reaction Score
A lot of the problem with following a legend is that legends surround themselves with good people.... who act in the capacity of tenured, vested, loyal supporters, but not necessarily with the imbued qualities of the legend him or herself. And associated with that, schools (and/or the legends themselves) act with their hearts and name these underlings to the top spot... and rarely it turns out well.... Bruiser Flint after Calipari at UMass, Gene Bartow at UCLA, Esherick at Georgetown, the list goes on and on.... Jimmy Johnson was successful.... but he was not in the Landry lineage... he was from the outside.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom