Lou out of the AAC tournament | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Lou out of the AAC tournament

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Yes in deed, BIG TIME!!! ONO is not a freshman anymore. She's got 30 or so games under her belt. That pushes her into "sophomore" status. The biggest question that comes to mind for me is can UConn beat UCF without Lou? THAT is who they will meet in the conference finals. :eek:

The answer is a resounding yes. Without Lou in the game, UCF's entire defensive game plan is out the window. They won't be able to focus all their attention on bashing her. They won't know what to do with themselves. We win by 20.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The main difference between a #1 seed & a #2 seed is in the regional semifinal. Would you rather be a #2 & play #3 Oregon State or be a #1 & play #4 Syracuse?
Being the best team in the Regional, I don't care who have to go through.
And there is no guarantee that the #3 or #4 team will be there. I believe that is why they play each game.

Reaction Score
Awful to hear, especially for her senior year

Hope she can recover and strengthen up in time for a good NCAAT run.

On a positive, the bench will get very meaningful minutes and experience. Good opportunity for some of these kids to step up and grow.

Reaction Score

Beautiful chord progression in this song much used in that era. Spouse in the back ground listening enjoyed and commented that has to go on our play list. :)
My offering simply has the name of a player that I feel is going to blossom in time as others have in the past.
I now hope this opportunity helps it happen sooner rather than later. ;)
John Mayer - Something Like Olivia (Acoustic Performance)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Distressing news of this nature usually will cause a "knee jerk" reaction. Most of us don't take this type of news tongue in cheek.

UCF only lost 3 conference games. Twice to UConn, and once to Tulane 61-59. Besides UConn, I think UCF is the team to beat. AAC teams know they have a better chance of beating them than UConn.

UConn just had a couple of teeth pulled with Samuelson being out. Their "bite" may not be as vicious now as it was earlier in the season. Is this where UConn's string of consecutive wins the the AAC comes to an end? I don't think so. :cool:
While UCF would certainly be a favorite, along with UConn, to make it to the finals, they’ve won a lot of nail-biters this year. In the two games vs UConn, they didn’t shoot the ball particularly well and they turned it over frequently.

UCF basically wants to beat teams up and force turnovers. If a team can handle the physical play of UCF, I feel they are beatable.

Reaction Score
He's probably just keeping her out, so she doesn't get worse before the tournament. These conference tournaments are fun, but they're not worth making an injury worse.
Nothing is worth making an injury worse but many times the only way the injury get better is to exercise the tight muscles. However, if it is a never injury you just have to hope time and therapy can solve the problem. Having had a never problem I do not see how Lou could have played at all in the USF game after the injury but maybe she is just one tough lady!

Reaction Score
The team will have a chance to practice a game plan that doesn't rely on Lou, thus hopefully avoiding a meltdown like the USF game. I assume Ono will take post responsibilities bit I hope someone other than Pheesa takes over Lou's place. It's not her game and she's far more valuable in close. We can't take another 4 rebound hame, even with Ono filling in. Megan is probably it. She can't pass like Lou but she's a better three point shot than Pheesa.

Reaction Score
it will be harder now for her to overtake Tina charles’ position as no. 3 scorer. Napheesa might overtake both of them .

Reaction Score
No gloom and doom intended, just expressing MHO traveling while healthy has its wear & tear on a person. Give that person an injury like back spasms and airplane seats and bouncing around for 2+ hours then a bus to the arena, in a locker room and then on a folding chair for another 2 hours then repeat the bus, plane, another bus ride, and back to the dorm is going to be as uncomfortable as a person can be! Let alone an injured athlete! Again just IMHO a decision should have been reached after the MRI to hold KLS from the trip AND hold her out of the AAC Tournament before the team left for Tampa, FL! UCONN has the horses to win the AAC Tournament, maybe closer games than usual, but a W is still a W! Then a healthier and rested KLS heads into the NCAA's knowing she's 100%! JUST SAYING!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
it will be harder now for her to overtake Tina charles’ position as no. 3 scorer. Napheesa might overtake both of them .
The important points are Lou's health and our ability to compete for a championship, but there is indeed statistical fallout. Lou's missed games will mean that Pheesa may pass her on the career scoring list, Lou may not pass Tina's point total, and Lou may not reach Kaleena's 3-point record. Those are all unfortunate, but injuries affect these things. Kaleena missed 12 games due to her elbow and mono. Otherwise, she would have had 2,400 points and 430 treys. Nykesha famously missed several games that affected her scoring total. Sue probably would have had the career assist mark if not for her freshman injury. On the other hand, one reason why Maya is so high up on many career lists is that she played in 154 of 154 games. She was durability personified. She also wore a lot of body armor, including a flak jacket for part of one season.

Best wishes to Lou! I'll be there for the weekend and salute you regardless of whether you play or not. Your legacy is not diminished by a few missed games,

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I hope and pray Lou feel better. Wishing her a speedy recovery. I believe UConn will be ok in the tournament, and players will step up.

Reaction Score
while I'm usually the voice of doom and gloom I'm going to try to make lemonade out of lemons here.....................ONO will get the start and perhaps she will really show her full range of capabilities while Coombs may actually have the floor time to work on her offensive game a bit..............

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
while I'm usually the voice of doom and gloom I'm going to try to make lemonade out of lemons here......ONO will get the start and perhaps she will really show her full range of capabilities while Coombs may actually have the floor time to work on her offensive game a bit....
CB, I’m pleasantly surprised. In the words of Winston Churchill:

“A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.”

Reaction Score
Another serious blow to the legacy of KLS. She was set to achieve something only 3 other Huskie women ever have and that was to be selected to the all-conference tournament team 4 times. Her career totals will take a hit also, especially the one she deserves the most and that is 3rd place in career pts. This is sadly approaching what happened to the end of Svetlana's great career. Fortunately, she still has chance to join very select company by making the WBCA all-American team for the 3rd time which only 4 other Huskie women have been so honored.
I agree, it is really sad for a player that has played hard and hurt for this program. The silver lining of all those stats and legacy are trumped by this team and her winning a NC. That would add the greatest accolade to her legacy.

It does stink and the worst part for us fans is that we are even more limited in seeing her play in the UConn uniform.

Reaction Score
while I'm usually the voice of doom and gloom I'm going to try to make lemonade out of lemons here......ONO will get the start and perhaps she will really show her full range of capabilities while Coombs may actually have the floor time to work on her offensive game a bit....
Agree. While we will miss Lou, no other team in league has a 6'4", long arm center. Will likely lose offense; gain defense.

Reaction Score
Ok all you "I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night" seers, when I said it was not wise for her to take a bus to the airport, fly for 2+ hours, take more buses, sleep in a hotel, sit on a small crappy chair watching a game, I was told to relax. KLS would have been better to stay home and not put added stress on her muscles. Don't give me the BS that "she needed to be there to support her team when they have more games to be played. This news is very disheartening.
You have no more basis to say Lou going to USF played a role in her missing the tournament than if she didn’t go, she would have played. You just had a fortuitous opportunity to support your theory when this unfortunate situation happened. Lou was more than likely going to miss the AAC tournament unless she recovered to an acceptable level of health (90-100% imo) by the time it started. She received treatment on the road and still had several days when the team returned from Florida to recover, but she did not well enough to play.
Ok all you "I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night" seers, when I said it was not wise for her to take a bus to the airport, fly for 2+ hours, take more buses, sleep in a hotel, sit on a small crappy chair watching a game, I was told to relax. KLS would have been better to stay home and not put added stress on her muscles. Don't give me the BS that "she needed to be there to support her team when they have more games to be played. This news is very disheartening.

Reaction Score
What truth do you have that proves she won’t play in the tournament?? You have zero proof, you’re just bringing negativity.
I have to agree with @bbballfan23 ... Your "Truth" is speculation... just as those who believe Lou will be well by NCAAT are speculating. :) One can choose to be "glass half empty" type or person, or "glass half full"... either way, ONLY time and modern medicine by an excellent medical staff will tell the tale. Geno's quote that resting this weekend and working the medical issues through the next week plus will get her back 100% by NCAAT is comforting and reassuring. We ALL want Lou back as soon as possible, and we all need to support Her, the Team and the Medical Staff.

Reaction Score
This begs the question of whether the "back spasms" they claimed was the injury is actually more serious. Is she out for the AAC tourney? Or for the remainder of the season? The press release doesn't include any mention of when she is expected to return.

Reaction Score
This begs the question of whether the "back spasms" they claimed was the injury is actually more serious. Is she out for the AAC tourney? Or for the remainder of the season? The press release doesn't include any mention of when she is expected to return.
The real answer is "no one knows for sure"... but this was posted earlier: "Geno stated in the Courant article that he is expecting, or at least hoping, that Lou will be 100% with the extra rest. There is about two weeks until the NCAAs and realistically, three weeks (March 29) until having to face a difficult opponent. "

Clearly there are different "opinions" on what that all means...but NOTHING is Certain... but rather speculation. I trust Geno's expectations are based on medical advice and counsel. Believe what you want. many have said on this site...and I still believe in the line "In Geno We Trust". :);):cool:

GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Lou has absorbed a lot of punishment this year being the focus of every defense. The rest during the AAC tourney is just what she needs to let her whole body recover for the NCAAs.

Olivia will get the most important minutes of her career so far. She needs to stay in the games, which means moving her feet and keeping vertical. And, she needs to score which means keeping the ball high and moving that way. If the discipline is there for the AAC, we have a great shot at the big games...

Reaction Score

Honestly back spasms alone are enough to keep a player on the sidelines, the pain is excruciating & the spasms interfere with just about every kind of movement, I never realized how much the back is involved in moving your body until I had back spasms myself.. I pray that is all that is wrong with her, with rest & treatment she should be fine. As for her missing the AAC tournament, it isn't like her absence is going to mean UConn has no chance of winning it. They'll have to work harder & the bench players will have to step up that's all. I'd rather see KLS out now than in the NCAAs.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Watching South Florida - Houston on ESPN3. Shot of the team waiting in the stands. Lou among them, probably aggravating her back injury. :)
I know your tongue was firmly planted in your cheek on that comment, so I wanted to add that Lou looked comfortable, smiling with her teammates. I suspect if UConn was playing in the FF today, Lou would be on the court.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom