Lou Lopez-Senechal, Undertaker or Buried | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Lou Lopez-Senechal, Undertaker or Buried

Reaction Score
Not that I necessarily needed to watch it for the 20th time but it looks like Lou's super long highlight video is no longer up on YouTube. It bums me out but also makes me think it's getting closer to that time of year (I e scrape all of the footage and make her impossible to scout). I have confidence in her moreso than some of the other transfers previously mentioned because of her skillset. She's a high percentage 3 point shooter and high percentage free throw shooter as well. She also has really good size.

Reaction Score
As a reminder … Think back to last year’s tourney. Recall the players who were Conference POYs on UCF, South Dakota, and one other team I forget. All of them impressed. Well, Lou was also the Conference POY (and 3x 1st Team All-Conference). Under the radar, but very good.

Exactly. The same crowd that chuckled at Creighton's chances in the NCAA's. They have their P-5 noses pointed straight up.

Reaction Score
No one here is pulling or rooting for Lou more than me, BUT I'm taking a "wait and see" approach to her development and play this year.
I'm somewhat familiar with her play and exploits over the last four years. Impressive as it is, it's was at a lower level where the competition and expectations were not as high as they are here and now.

I'm not for a moment suggesting that she will or may succumb to the same fortunes that Evelyn Adebayo and Natalie Butler did. The too transferred in with impressive resume's and never quite lived up the expectations Geno and fans had of them. I learned my lesson from these ladies. Just like I learned my lesson about predicting (almost guaranteeing) events when I predicted Alyiah Boston who at the time was leaning heavily towards UConn would sign with us. :confused: Here's hoping and wishing her all the best for Lou, but I'll wait and see.
You as a Sports/Basketball/Uconn Fan has views I rarely think about, mono me. However, Lou or any other kid filling a spot on Geno's roster, I, like you, want that kid to perform and well, at this much higher level.

Geno/Uconn isn't your average Basketball team or are Geno's/these ladies expected to be anything below FF in April. Tough expectation. The Men, Uconn that is, would love to have Geno's 30 game win records. Tough act to follow.

I too want Lou or Inez or any of the Freshmen to be all they can be and be winners. I've seen too many Hyped up new kids, some I'd loved to have seen winners, fail.

Ekmark, from Arizona, gave everything she had to be a starting Husky. She didn't lose by lack of effort. She went home and was successful. It was a matter of the size and kind of pond she swam in.

Reaction Score
Not that I necessarily needed to watch it for the 20th time but it looks like Lou's super long highlight video is no longer up on YouTube. It bums me out but also makes me think it's getting closer to that time of year (I e scrape all of the footage and make her impossible to scout). I have confidence in her moreso than some of the other transfers previously mentioned because of her skillset. She's a high percentage 3 point shooter and high percentage free throw shooter as well. She also has really good size.
Shooting is about having skill, eye to body/hand co-ordination, and loads of confidence. Confidence comes from at least 4 places 1. Family 2. Coach 3.SELF 4. the environment. All can change your averages.

Fairfield I'm fairly sure, didn't play in a Gampel atmosphere, or an ND, S.Carolina, BE. hostilities. You know, the fun places.

Caroline, as a Frosh, some said she shoots too often. Geno, said he wanted 6 like her. WHY? Confidence. Geno loves confidence kids. For 40 years Geno has known Kids like Caroline shall miss but shooters always find the range.

Reaction Score
Shooting is about having skill, eye to body/hand co-ordination, and loads of confidence. Confidence comes from at least 4 places 1. Family 2. Coach 3.SELF 4. the environment. All can change your averages.

Fairfield I'm fairly sure, didn't play in a Gampel atmosphere, or an ND, S.Carolina, BE. hostilities. You know, the fun places.

Caroline, as a Frosh, some said she shoots too often. Geno, said he wanted 6 like her. WHY? Confidence. Geno loves confidence kids. For 40 years Geno has known Kids like Caroline shall miss but shooters always find the range.

Reaction Score
You as a Sports/Basketball/Uconn Fan has views I rarely think about, mono me. However, Lou or any other kid filling a spot on Geno's roster, I, like you, want that kid to perform and well, at this much higher level.

Geno/Uconn isn't your average Basketball team or are Geno's/these ladies expected to be anything below FF in April. Tough expectation. The Men, Uconn that is, would love to have Geno's 30 game win records. Tough act to follow.

I too want Lou or Inez or any of the Freshmen to be all they can be and be winners. I've seen too many Hyped up new kids, some I'd loved to have seen winners, fail.

Ekmark, from Arizona, gave everything she had to be a starting Husky. She didn't lose by lack of effort. She went home and was successful. It was a matter of the size and kind of pond she swam in.

Unlike Ekmark, Lou has played 4 years of college ball. The MAAC conference is better than Ekmark's high school conference.

Did you discount what EDD did at Delaware in the Colonial conference?

Lou was a big fish in a smaller pond and the unanimous best player in the conference. Fairfield played an offense that was similar to what UConn does. Jonquel Jones played her entire college career at a "smaller conference" and she ended up being pretty good. The P-5 is littered with mediocre wcbb programs and there are always great players among the non-P5.

Who knows? But I'll trust the UConn staff to make those decisions.

Reaction Score
I think for the most part open shooting translates across all levels of play. Lou has a proven track record in that regard. Open 3's and free throws should be considered a given for her, not a question mark. At a minimum she should be a very good shooter when she is open.

The question marks are more about her ability to score on her own and create her own shot, which she did all the time at Fairfield against much weaker competition. On the downside the team and individual defenders she plays against this year will be much better , and she won't have as many plays run for her, because she will no longer be the #1 offensive option.

On the other hand she will not be the prime focus of opposing defenses, and their top perimeter defender is more likely to be on Azzi or Caroline, not her. Because of Uconn's other weapons she may get more, not less open looks. Overall IMO the expectation compared to her scoring stats from last year is she will be as efficient, probably better because of not needing to force as many two's, but with significantly lower volume. If she does that she should fit nicely into the offense.

Reaction Score
Your Last Sentence---
Unlike Ekmark, Lou has played 4 years of college ball. The MAAC conference is better than Ekmark's high school conference.

Did you discount what EDD did at Delaware in the Colonial conference?

Lou was a big fish in a smaller pond and the unanimous best player in the conference. Fairfield played an offense that was similar to what UConn does. Jonquel Jones played her entire college career at a "smaller conference" and she ended up being pretty good. The P-5 is littered with mediocre wcbb programs and there are always great players among the non-P5.

Who knows? But I'll trust the UConn staff to make those decisions.
EDD to me is a NEVER UConn. Never played at Uconn. Great player, but never a Husky.
A few of player came to Uconn with fanfare above their ability to play at this level.
I sincerely hope LOU is all many hope she will be. Uconn certainly can use another great shooting, driving, dishing guard. We'll see.
I agree with your last comment. They have inspiring comments when those players leave. Perfection, Geno says, is to be thrived for not to be achieved---even in selecting new players.

Reaction Score
I think for the most part open shooting translates across all levels of play. Lou has a proven track record in that regard. Open 3's and free throws should be considered a given for her, not a question mark. At a minimum she should be a very good shooter when she is open.

The question marks are more about her ability to score on her own and create her own shot, which she did all the time at Fairfield against much weaker competition. On the downside the team and individual defenders she plays against this year will be much better , and she won't have as many plays run for her, because she will no longer be the #1 offensive option.

On the other hand she will not be the prime focus of opposing defenses, and their top perimeter defender is more likely to be on Azzi or Caroline, not her. Because of Uconn's other weapons she may get more, not less open looks. Overall IMO the expectation compared to her scoring stats from last year is she will be as efficient, probably better because of not needing to force as many two's, but with significantly lower volume. If she does that she should fit nicely into the offense.
I agree, and I've stated it often: Basketball players, with lots of experience, that play at a high lever, regardless of their opponents --often can-- play at any level. CONFIDENCE
and ability are hard to beat.
All I have seen of Lou is a 4 minute clip. If you have seen all you say, good, then you have a better view of Lou than I have had. For me it is still ---a wait and see. Again, I sincerely hope EVERY new recruit is the recreation of Sue, Swin, DT, Maya, Rene, Stewie, Dolson, Kiah---that would thrill me. I follow this team when the lose and when they win--for 40 years, I won't stop watching because Lou doesn't pan out.

Reaction Score

I totally agree. The only other factor is add is whether she can play good enough D to keep her on the floor long enough to get all those open looks.

I might compare her to KML, who was also dynamite on O and often the weak defensive link — from lack of foot speed not lack of effort — but regularly played 30+ mins. The difference might be that KML was very crafty on D and often made up for speed issues that way.
EDD to me is a NEVER UConn. Never played at Uconn. Great player, but never a Husky.
I think you're conceding @Alydar 's point here. He wasn't calling EDD a Husky. He was merely responding to the complaints about Lou that because she played in a lesser conference we couldn't expect her to have real talent. EDD is the refutation of this claim.

And I agree that the P 5 conferences are excellent at self promotion, somewhat les excellent at WBB.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
EDD is the refutation of this claim.
Or is she the exception that proves the rule?

I fully believe that Lou can play at this level, otherwise there’s no way that Geno and Chris offer her a scholarship. Like others have said, knowing her role in the UConn defense may be challenging initially. Bottom line, the kid is a scorer and opposing teams won’t be able to lay off her, which in turn will open up things for others on the team.

Reaction Score

I fully believe that Lou can play at this level, otherwise there’s no way that Geno and Chris offer her a scholarship. Like others have said, knowing her role in the UConn defense may be challenging initially. Bottom line, the kid is a scorer and opposing teams won’t be able to lay off her, which in turn will open up things for others on the team.
Either way, the rule is not reliable for all cases. And I share your belief that Lou will not disappoint. Opponents won't be able to cover all our shooters. This has been the Stanford formula for the last few years, too. No one doubled Brink in the paint because of the perimeter shooters, and she was unleashed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Either way, the rule is not reliable for all cases. And I share your belief that Lou will not disappoint. Opponents won't be able to cover all our shooters. This has been the Stanford formula for the last few years, too. No one doubled Brink in the paint because of the perimeter shooters, and she was unleashed.
The question I have is how long it will take her to adjust high major talent guarding her? UConn’s excellent ball movement will do a lot to help that.

Reaction Score
The question I have is how long it will take her to adjust high major talent guarding her? UConn’s excellent ball movement will do a lot to help that.
Yup. Watched a few Dolson-Stewie games last weekend and the ball movement was lightning fast. It may take Lou a little time to get used to quick ball movement. One thing they lacked at Fairfield was a quick point guard, which is the case at most of those schools.

Reaction Score

Only the Pope is "infallible" and I often doubt him. I won't try to list ALL those Misses (take that both ways) that Geno and staff (I leave Christine out of it, she never misses), have accumulated. Don't expect perfection in this life. Geno was sold by the wording of her Fairfield Coach. Coachable.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Why not compare apples to apples here? After leaving UCONN Courtney managed to become a double digit scorer for two season a Arizona State. ASU is in a P5 conference. So the real question you should be asking yourself if you truly want to compare the two players is this: Could Lou average double digits playing in a P5 conference? I think Lou can, but I know for certain Courtney did. A corollary to that question might be: Could Courtney be POY if she were playing in the MAAC? I think Courtney could just as I know for sure that Lou did.

Reaction Score
Why not compare apples to apples here? After leaving UCONN Courtney managed to become a double digit scorer for two season a Arizona State. ASU is in a P5 conference. So the real question you should be asking yourself if you truly want to compare the two players is this: Could Lou average double digits playing in a P5 conference? I think Lou can, but I know for certain Courtney did. A corollary to that question might be: Could Courtney be POY if she were playing in the MAAC? I think Courtney could just as I know for sure that Lou did.

So a scenario based entirely on speculation is an "apples to apples" comparison? :rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So a scenario based entirely on speculation is an "apples to apples" comparison? :rolleyes:

:eek:Sure it is especially when your alternative was comparing High School Courtney Ekmark to 5th year senior Lou.
Jimmy Fallon Shame GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

You said: "Unlike Ekmark, Lou has played 4 years of college ball. The MAAC conference is better than Ekmark's high school conference.
BTW That first sentence is clearly false.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
:eek:Sure it is especially when your alternative was comparing High School Courtney Ekmark to 5th year senior Lou.

You said: "Unlike Ekmark, Lou has played 4 years of college ball. The MAAC conference is better than Ekmark's high school conference.

You were the one who claimed an apples to apples relationaship, not I.

I can see you are not being responsive to my comments and this is no longer a dialogue but a debate. Bye.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Search for this and found nothing in this forum. So .... here it is! What bleak outlook. Lou has to be better than this prediction!

Lou Lopez-Senechal
  • Offense - has the potential to be a three level producer
  • Defense - Geno recently went on record and insinuated that Lou had a lot of work to do on the defensive side of the ball. There is very little evidence that she excelled on defense.
  • Fit - There are some significant issues with her fit, however. UConn is a team that is renowned for passing and assisting the majority of their baskets. Lou has never averaged two assists a game; plus, she had her worst season last year with only 1.1 assists per game. She has also averaged more turnovers than assists every season. The biggest concern that I have with fit is that she is a transfer. Transfers at UConn have had mixed results.
  • Prediction - Still, I see her getting multiple DNP-coach’s decision early in the season and averaging around six minutes a game. :eek:
Coach Jumper is tht you?

Reaction Score

Sure it is especially when your alternative was comparing High School Courtney Ekmark to 5th year senior Lou.

There you go again, changing what I said to suit yourself. I compared Lou's COMPETITION in the MAAC to the COMPETITION Ekmark faced in her Phoenix HS conference.

Sometimes I spend more time correcting your misquotes of my posts than breathing.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just as future mortician Sylvia Fowles buried several players in the low post, Lou Lopez-Senechal will bury several mid-range jumpers and 3-pointers. The kid can shoot!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sure it is especially when your alternative was comparing High School Courtney Ekmark to 5th year senior Lou.
There you go again, changing what I said to suit yourself. I compared Lou's COMPETITION in the MAAC to the COMPETITION Ekmark faced in her Phoenix HS conference. Sometimes I spend more time correcting your misquotes of my posts than breathing.
Khalid Why Would You Do That GIF by anythingismovie

sun

Reaction Score
New UConn players will need to adjust to the higher motivation of the competition that they play, when then get extra hyped just to play UConn.
Often there's a higher level of intensity that most all UConn players are able to overcome but some are better at it than others.
While most games UConn as a team is able to make other teams appear to play worse than normal, there are those times when opponents raise their bar which can rob some UConn players of their normal thunder.
It's like when a pro MLB player gets signed by the New York Yankees and find that they can't perform as well as in the past because of intense media scrutiny, or for whatever other reasons.
That's always a possibility with any UConn player whether they're new or seasoned.
If they get too many butterflies then they can lose confidence and go into a funk.
It's just like when a player can make all of their shots during practice but can't perform at the same level during a game.
And then fans wonder what's wrong with them.
That possibility always exists and is just another reason why spending some time on the bench can take the pressure off players, and then Geno can see which of the newer ones can settle down and are the most comfortable on the court at any given time.
Have you ever noticed that there are times when KikI Rice can't buy a basket, and I'll think what's wrong with her?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom