Looks like Josh Carlton will be odd man out | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Looks like Josh Carlton will be odd man out

Reaction Score
Sick burn.

Fun fact, the NBA CHAMPION Lakers just signed two centers to go along with AD. But you know basketball better than they do.

You know that Marc Gasol and anthony Davis can both shoot the rock right? Precisely 0 of our centers have a serviceable jump shot.

Also, Anthony Davis has a guard/forward skill set. I don't care if he's 6'11.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You know that Marc Gasol and anthony Davis can both shoot the rock right? Precisely 0 of our centers have a serviceable jump shot.

He thinks Jermaine Samuels is a traditional big, he llst this argument yesterday.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

What is the winning percentage for D1 teams that go -10 on the boards? I bet it is about 30%. Prove to me that rebounds and interior defense don't matter.

What you guys also don't get is that standing everyone behind the line actually makes it harder to get good shots and to penetrate.

Reaction Score
Then kill them inside. I think UConn is better defensively with any 2 of Whaley, Carlton and Sanogo than they are with 4 guards. Why not just play 2 bigs, high/low them to death against the 2-3, then kick out for catch and shoot 3's when the defense has to fully collapse?

You beat a 2-3 by having a forward working baseline behind the zone, with the center at the high post.

Game has change on both ends. PF needs to defend perimeter. Switches and stretch 4s. PF needs to be outside threat on offense. Whaley yes the other 2 no. 1 not proven. The other we kmow about the hedging on the pick and roll with silly foul.
And really none an outside threat.

Reaction Score
Actually Josh looked quicker but didn’t think better or quicker in his mind. Hence foul issues immediately .

Yes too early because CCSU was an awful matchup for Josh lucky to see a 6-6 guy on the floor at any point. There will be times and teams he will be needed so don’t count him out. His minutes will vary based off of matchups though I’m afraid so they will be down. Good kid let’s not hammer him he wanted to stay a Husky so he derserves the support no doubt.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Game has change on both ends. PF needs to defend perimeter. Switches and stretch 4s. PF needs to be outside threat on offense. Whaley yes the other 2 no. 1 not proven. The other we kmow about the hedging on the pick and roll with silly foul.
And really none an outside threat.

You think Adams or Gaffney is going to be able to defend a 6'7 wing? The bigger players will just shoot right over our 4th guard, and if Adams/Gaffney try to get in the face of the bigger player, they will get taken to the hole at will. Or the other team just give and go and get the return pass within 5 feet of the basket.

If 3 of Cole, Bouk, Adams and Gaffney are on the court, there is going to be a bad defensive matchup for UConn somewhere. As I have said, I don't mind this lineup as a change of pace, but Polley or Jackson should be the 3rd guard, not Adams or Gaffney. And we shouldn't be playing 4 out the whole game. There is no movement, it is hard to screen, and someone always ends up in the corner which means they are not rebounding but they also can't get back for transition D.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Heat showed how to stop the 4 and 5 out offenses when they locked the Bucks down in the playoffs. Basically turn a 2-3 into a matchup zone. Stretch the zone, but switch on screens and cut off the gaps, which is not that hard when the perimeter is that crowded.

I expect a lot more coaches to do that same.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You think Adams or Gaffney is going to be able to defend a 6'7 wing? The bigger players will just shoot right over our 4th guard, and if Adams/Gaffney try to get in the face of the bigger player, they will get taken to the hole at will. Or the other team just give and go and get the return pass within 5 feet of the basket.

If 3 of Cole, Bouk, Adams and Gaffney are on the court, there is going to be a bad defensive matchup for UConn somewhere. As I have said, I don't mind this lineup as a change of pace, but Polley or Jackson should be the 3rd guard, not Adams or Gaffney. And we shouldn't be playing 4 out the whole game. There is no movement, it is hard to screen, and someone always ends up in the corner which means they are not rebounding but they also can't get back for transition D.

Better then Carlton or Sanogo for sure on the wing with Whaley and or Sanogo guarding the rim.

Reaction Score

Bingo.

It's not about height, it's about skill.

You can't be playing multiple guys together who can't play outside the post.

Reaction Score
Akok played any minutes at center last year. And he can "shoot the rock" So we have more than 0 centers with a serviceable jump shot. Just sayin'.

Reaction Score

This would be a valid concern if opposing college 4's were all LeBron James.

Fortunately, they are not.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Jeremiah Robinson-Earl is that guy for Nova and he's going to be one of the best players in the country.
In an evolving sample of two, he made no particular impression on me last year when we played Nova, and a huge impression on me last night against ASU.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
... but 7’ 14 year old.

He’s young, no doubt about it, but he didn’t look lost out there.
He has to play against the other bigs (including Sanogo) in practice every day and then there is Rehfeldt in the weight room. He will grow up soon into a fine young monster. I loved that slam yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised to see both he and Springs getting some minutes most games. I am hoping for a rock fight pressing defense with fast breaks and lots of substitutions. Looking forward to Martin showing his D and toughness tonight.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This would be a valid concern if opposing college 4's were all LeBron James.

Fortunately, they are not.

If the 4 is not Lebron James then a team should play 4 guards. That is some stellar analysis right there.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Actually Josh looked quicker but didn’t think better or quicker in his mind. Hence foul issues immediately .

Yes too early because CCSU was an awful matchup for Josh lucky to see a 6-6 guy on the floor at any point. There will be times and teams he will be needed so don’t count him out. His minutes will vary based off of matchups though I’m afraid so they will be down. Good kid let’s not hammer him he wanted to stay a Husky so he derserves the support no doubt.

Josh fouled because the guards were getting beat and he had to slide over to help. UConn's current guards are not exactly Ricky Moore's on defense.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Sick burn.

Fun fact, the NBA CHAMPION Lakers just signed two centers to go along with AD. But you know basketball better than they do.
Fun fact, the NBA CHAMPION Lakers just lost two centers as well.

Reaction Score
If I never have to see Carlton miss a putback bunny by trying to bank it off the glass instead of jamming it, I will not be sad.

Reaction Score
If I never have to see Carlton miss a putback bunny by trying to bank it off the glass instead of jamming it, I will not be sad.
I am thankful for this possibility on Thanksgiving weekend. Josh's time as the Husky starting center has come and gone (again, thankfully). Going forward he can be a good short stint substitute to give the starters a chance to catch their breath.

Reaction Score
With Whaley,Sanogo,J Brown and Akok on the way, I would say that Josh has his work cut out for him, but he may be up to the task. i really root for Josh to get meaningful minutes in his senior year, but unfortunately, he has been passed by several more talented bigs right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom