Looks like Josh Carlton will be odd man out | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Looks like Josh Carlton will be odd man out

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Definitely some of it was matchup. CCSU doesn't have anyone taller than 6'7" and their 5 most played guys tonight were all 6'4" and under.

Then kill them inside. I think UConn is better defensively with any 2 of Whaley, Carlton and Sanogo than they are with 4 guards. Why not just play 2 bigs, high/low them to death against the 2-3, then kick out for catch and shoot 3's when the defense has to fully collapse?

You beat a 2-3 by having a forward working baseline behind the zone, with the center at the high post.

Reaction Score
Why tie up 5 roster spots for 1 position? If Hurley doesn't want to play forwards, he should have 2 or 3 on the roster.
Kind of confused by this - which forwards did Hurley sit tonight? Outside of Springs, who I imagine will be sitting all year.

Reaction Score
Then kill them inside. I think UConn is better defensively with any 2 of Whaley, Carlton and Sanogo than they are with 4 guards. Why not just play 2 bigs, high/low them to death against the 2-3, then kick out for catch and shoot 3's when the defense has to fully collapse?

You beat a 2-3 by having a forward working baseline behind the zone, with the center at the high post.

I don't know if you looked at the stats, but we won by 27, doubled them up on the boards, and shot 67% from 2 while only playing 1 of those guys at a time. If we had played 2, our D would have been even worse while not actually doing anything more on offense. It's just hard for a 240 pound guy to stay in front of a 195 pound guy with tiny, quick legs, especially in a Hurley defense where you need to attack the perimeter and drive them off the 3 point line.

Reaction Score

Why can't we just play Polley/Akok at the 4. I think Sanogo/Whaley 5 and Polley/Akok at the 4 will be the lineup we see most. Martin early will see time the 4 unitl Akok comes back.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't know if you looked at the stats, but we won by 27, doubled them up on the boards, and shot 67% from 2 while only playing 1 of those guys at a time. If we had played 2, our D would have been even worse while not actually doing anything more on offense. It's just hard for a 240 pound guy to stay in front of a 195 pound guy with tiny, quick legs, especially in a Hurley defense where you need to attack the perimeter and drive them off the 3 point line.

I would hope that there is nothing that a team like Central Connecticut would be doing that would require an adjustment by Hurley.

Size is a huge advantage on defense. It alters shots and enables you to block from behind. There shouldn't be a player on CCSU that Whaley can't defend straight up. I thought he did a great job all night, and should have played more.

Reaction Score
As a senior.. Josh needs to show a sense of urgency... like Tyler and Isiah are.. To get any PT.. Too much young talent around him.. Hope the light bulb comes on soon.. It will be a challenge for the staff to keep him engaged/motivated this year if he doesn't make it harder on them to distribute minutes.. Hope he can figure it out soon.. For himself and the team..

Reaction Score
There will be games that he is needed. I have faith in Hurley to keep him engaged and motivated.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes he did but you can tell physically hes a bit awkward and still has baby fat muscle lol. He looks like hes 14. Itll be interesting to see what he does spending a year in the weight room.
... but 7’ 14 year old.

He’s young, no doubt about it, but he didn’t look lost out there.

Reaction Score
Josh will be fine and will surprise us this season. His practice players have NBA potential. Way too early to negate his minutes or contributions. With that said, we probably have the best 3rd string big man in the Nation.

Reaction Score
Cant count anyone out, with COVID ongoing our depth may prove to be a huge difference when we play teams where both teams have a few players out sick. In Hurley we trust, we know top to bottom he will make sure everyone knows their role and contributes the second they are out there.
I was under the impression that if anyone on the team tests positive for Covid, all team activities and games are on hold for 14 days. So wouldn’t that mean that we would never have a situation where 1 or 2 players are out due to Covid? Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s how I understand it.

Reaction Score
I was under the impression that if anyone on the team tests positive for Covid, all team activities and games are on hold for 14 days. So wouldn’t that mean that we would never have a situation where 1 or 2 players are out due to Covid? Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s how I understand it.

Im hearing that the CDC might shorten quarantine to 7-10 days.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

A player could also just be exposed to someone that tests positive, which would only require a quarantine of that player. They are not living in a bubble, so this is likely to happen.

Reaction Score

It depends on contract tracing. Xavier has three guys sitting out right now (exposure but no positives) while the rest of the team is playing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why tie up 5 roster spots for 1 position? If Hurley doesn't want to play forwards, he should have 2 or 3 on the roster.

None of those guys are forwards. Of the guys that got real minutes We have

1/2s: Gaff/Cole
2/3s: Bouk/Adams
3/4s: Jackson, Polley, Martin
5s: Whaley Sanogo

And 3 bench bigs. Seems fairly balanced to me. Reality is that we recruited over guys and Hurley doesn't send guys off the team. Javonte Brown Ferguson is an essential redshirt. And if last night is true, Springs and Carlton aren't good enough. You don't pass on a talent like Sanogo because you have those two players already. This isn't the NBA.

Reaction Score
It comes down to matchups

When another team has some bigs, he will be in the rotation. CCSU looked pretty small and skinny. Plus, with it being basically an exhibition game, it was a good time for Hurley to see what he had with the youth. In conference play with higher stakes, the experienced senior is going to have to be called upon.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Definitely some of it was matchup. CCSU doesn't have anyone taller than 6'7" and their 5 most played guys tonight were all 6'4" and under. Their heaviest guy was 210.

Im still watching the replay. Hated the first two lineups. But I think Hurley thought he could go small against this team. At half, we’ve been better when bigger. Better with two guards or Adams as the third guard.

Not sure how Sanogo will fare on D against big teams. Whaley can’t defend true centers. We saw him get eaten alive against them last year. So Josh likely still has a role against big centers. That is unless Brown is better than him on the defensive end.

This board focuses too much on offense and 4 out. Sure, it works if you can defend and rebound. If not it’s a disaster. A monster inside defensive team that owns the boards and protects the basket is absolutely still valuable.

Reaction Score
Heck i even like what i saw out of Brown. He came in in garbage time and was fired up. Physically hes definitely got a ways to go as hes clearly still awkward and lacks serious strength but i like his enthusiasm. I think hes a year away from getting real playing time. But he showed more in 2 garbage minute than what Josh did in his time in there. Very disappointing.
Don’t forget Brown is REALLY young. I think he’s only 17. He’s going to need another year or 2 to grow into his body.....but a good start

Reaction Score
None of those guys are forwards. Of the guys that got real minutes We have

1/2s: Gaff/Cole
2/3s: Bouk/Adams
3/4s: Jackson, Polley, Martin
5s: Whaley Sanogo

And 3 bench bigs. Seems fairly balanced to me. Reality is that we recruited over guys and Hurley doesn't send guys off the team. Javonte Brown Ferguson is an essential redshirt. And if last night is true, Springs and Carlton aren't good enough. You don't pass on a talent like Sanogo because you have those two players already. This isn't the NBA.
I'm convinced a lot of our fanbase hasn't watched the Big East in recent years. The only kind of big teams are Providence, Seton Hall, and Marquette. It's the best guard league in the country.

Nelson's threads from last night make no sense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom