Looks like Josh Carlton will be odd man out | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Looks like Josh Carlton will be odd man out

Reaction Score
I'm convinced a lot of our fanbase hasn't watched the Big East in recent years. The only kind of big teams are Providence, Seton Hall, and Marquette. It's the best guard league in the country.

Nelson's threads from last night make no sense.
It's funny, he's doubled and tripled down now to the point where he argued playing Whaley and Carlton together is actually the analytically superior lineup

Reaction Score
I'm convinced a lot of our fanbase hasn't watched the Big East in recent years. The only kind of big teams are Providence, Seton Hall, and Marquette. It's the best guard league in the country.

I mean.. there's a chance that some guy on the 'Yard has outsmarted basically every NBA front office and high major college basketball coach in his assessment of the game... but I'd generally not take the line on those odds.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
BE wars mean foul trouble, fortunately we have answers this year. Josh will help.

Yes,in a game of attrition where Josh is soaking up fouls 11-15 at the 5 spot, that is a good thing.

Reaction Score
Then kill them inside. I think UConn is better defensively with any 2 of Whaley, Carlton and Sanogo than they are with 4 guards. Why not just play 2 bigs, high/low them to death against the 2-3, then kick out for catch and shoot 3's when the defense has to fully collapse?

You beat a 2-3 by having a forward working baseline behind the zone, with the center at the high post.
I cringe thinking about having JC flashing high post. Need a playmaker in there, someone who has good hands, footwork, vision, shooting, and passing skills. All that is necessary against a zone. Need a guy who can find the soft spots in the zone and determine the best play from that spot. Whether it’s a dump down pass, kick out, shot etc. that’s not really JCs strength.

There is definitely a place for him on this team, he just needs to stay ready. His number will be called no doubt, especially as the season progresses. He needs to prove he should get those minutes when called upon.

Reaction Score

And people are already discounting how elite Whaley is on defense on ball screens and pick and roll. Thats basically the majority of big east team's offense.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
BE wars mean foul trouble, fortunately we have answers this year. Josh will help.
If we get stuck in half court game he can be effective. If it is up and down, less so.

Reaction Score
I cringe thinking about having JC flashing high post. Need a playmaker in there, someone who has good hands, footwork, vision, shooting, and passing skills. All that is necessary against a zone. Need a guy who can find the soft spots in the zone and determine the best play from that spot. Whether it’s a dump down pass, kick out, shot etc. that’s not really JCs strength.

There is definitely a place for him on this team, he just needs to stay ready. His number will be called no doubt, especially as the season progresses. He needs to prove he should get those minutes when called upon.
Jeremiah Robinson-Earl is that guy for Nova and he's going to be one of the best players in the country. We have some options, Jackson will be one with his outstanding vision.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Why can't we just play Polley/Akok at the 4. I think Sanogo/Whaley 5 and Polley/Akok at the 4 will be the lineup we see most. Martin early will see time the 4 unitl Akok comes back.
Believe it or not, Brendan Adams got the most minutes at the “4” last year after Polley and Akok were out.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I mean.. there's a chance that some guy on the 'Yard has outsmarted basically every NBA front office and high major college basketball coach in his assessment of the game... but I'd generally not take the line on those odds.
If only Bouknight was 6'7 Nelson would have no problems...

Reaction Score
Whaley is always going to be a foul trouble guy and his frame will always limit him against real centers. We all watched the same Sanogo play. He’s the real deal. Personally I want to see Javonte Brown Ferguson more. He looked good albeit in four minutes.

I would say Josh Carlton’s ceiling is Gavin Edward’s senior year, which would be nice from the bench.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Believe it or not, Brendan Adams got the most minutes at the “4” last year after Polley and Akok were out.

Sure. Because the only options were him and Wilson. I don’t think we should judge much from a team with 6-7 healthy players.

I expect this team will change over time and DH will run out a wide range of lineups.

Reaction Score

Butler bangs down low too, Nze has some of the best post/work moves. They also have a new big guy Coles, who is a banger.

Reaction Score
I think that the talent has improved to the point where Coach Hurley has options. Depth is a good thing and, when given the opportunity to contribute, Josh needs to avoid the two fouls in four minutes. They have 15 fouls at the 5 now...and that will be huge. I think that, especially once Akok gets back, you will see Polley and Akok at the Stretch 4 and Cole, Bouk, Gaffney, Jackson and Adams at the 1, 2 and 3. Sanogo and Whalley may be on the floor together from time to time...but I think that will be the exception and not the rule.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Sick burn.

Fun fact, the NBA CHAMPION Lakers just signed two centers to go along with AD. But you know basketball better than they do.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

That high post pass is tough to catch because there is always a lot of contact. It helps if that player is big.

Reaction Score
Sick burn.

Fun fact, the NBA CHAMPION Lakers just signed two centers to go along with AD. But you know basketball better than they do.
These NBA champion Lakers?

Just to be clear, I think Anthony Davis is a first ballot hall of famer. I do not think he and an aging LeBron are good enough to win 50 games in the west with that supporting cast, and I don't even have them in my Top 8 if I have to force rank the West because I don't think LeBron will make it through the season.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It's funny, he's doubled and tripled down now to the point where he argued playing Whaley and Carlton together is actually the analytically superior lineup

Most of the people in this thread are idiots, but you are smarter than this. That is a misrepresentation of what I said.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom