Lock On- Zanetto | The Boneyard

Lock On- Zanetto

Reaction Score
I am going to sound mean, and I feel badly about that. But listening to the Big 12-Uconn Locked On episode put me over the edge. Zanetto should not be representing UConn on anything. Nothing. This gentleman is not eloquent, he cannot think on his feet, and he cannot discuss anything that is not pre-written for him. He may or may not be right about the conference alignment. I do not know one way or another. But either way, his view on the potential move is embarrassing, specially coming from a so called UConn fan.

On the The Big 12 being a better basketball conference than the Big East: A point that was salient throughout the pod, and never refuted by Zanetto. Are they better now than 10 years ago? Sure they are. But to say that they are a better basketball conference than the Big East is absolute crap. Zanetto was waxing poetic about how physical that conference is. And he even alluded that the conference's physicality as the reason they all got waxed last year in the tournament. I almost crashed my car when I heard that nonsense, considering that the Big East is the WWE of college basketball. Listen, if the Big East has anything, is a glorious basketball history. We all know that. Any true fan should have stood up for that history, because UConn helped build it.

On whether UConn would benefit from realignment: Past is prologue. We all saw what happened when we left the Big East years ago. We went after football money, and sacrificed basketball in the process. Zanetto meagerly alluded to this fact, w/out ever mentioning the our true identify is anchored in basketball, not football. It was so gross, I asked myself if Zanetto is getting paid to start all this s---. A move to the Big 12 may represent more money. I really dont know about that. But a move to the Big 12 will mean leaving the place we call HOME. The glorious Big East. I do not want UConn to sacrifice basketball ever again.

On Duke teaming up with UConn to join the Big 12: He brought this up in his pod, months ago. The idea that Duke needs UConn to merge with anyone is laughable. I hate that darn school, but the fact is that they are one of the top collegiate brands in America. Duke is to basketball branding what ND, Michigan., Ohio St., and Alabama are to football. Stop saying stupid s--- please. Duke is the reason ESPN has the ACC contract. They don't need us Zanetto. And we do not need them.

On HIS FANS: A couple of times he referred to "HIS FANS" when talking about his audience. Zanetto, you are literally the last Pepsi in the dessert this time of year. There is nothing else. If we had a few more pods to choose from, you would have no audience. We are not YOUR fans. We are UConn fans starving for content and dying for November to arrive. Get that straight.

Please just stick to yawning and reading scouting reports drafted by other sources. You do not speak for UConn fans.

Reaction Score
Hyperbolic blow hard evangelist, and forces the content to the point of redundancy.

He really lost me on that pod when he started chanting of Gonzaga being the perfectly symmetrical partner due in part to a 90s tourney game. As if that even registers with the B12. Yeah think Brett Yormark is in his office thinking, yeah know that 1999 elite 8 nail biter against the Zags really makes them the perfect expansion partner? Cmon dude.

He comes off like a 5 miller-lite in UConn fan spitballing for UConn convo at Ted’s.

Reaction Score
Hyperbolic blow hard evangelist, and forces the content to the point of redundancy.

He really lost me on that pod when he started chanting of Gonzaga being the perfectly symmetrical partner due in part to a 90s tourney game. As if that even registers with the B12. Yeah think Brett Yormark is in his office thinking, yeah know that 1999 elite 8 nail biter against the Zags really makes them the perfect expansion partner? Cmon dude.

He comes off like a 5 miller-lite in UConn fan spitballing for UConn convo at Ted’s.
I watched a few episodes but im not a big fan. Hes ok if you want to hear some Uconn talk but i dont expect much i dont already know. Seems like a good guy but, meh!

Reaction Score
I am going to sound mean, and I feel badly about that. But listening to the Big 12-Uconn Locked On episode put me over the edge. Zanetto should not be representing UConn on anything. Nothing. This gentleman is not eloquent, he cannot think on his feet, and he cannot discuss anything that is not pre-written for him. He may or may not be right about the conference alignment. I do not know one way or another. But either way, his view on the potential move is embarrassing, specially coming from a so called UConn fan.

On the The Big 12 being a better basketball conference than the Big East: A point that was salient throughout the pod, and never refuted by Zanetto. Are they better now than 10 years ago? Sure they are. But to say that they are a better basketball conference than the Big East is absolute crap. Zanetto was waxing poetic about how physical that conference is. And he even alluded that the conference's physicality as the reason they all got waxed last year in the tournament. I almost crashed my car when I heard that nonsense, considering that the Big East is the WWE of college basketball. Listen, if the Big East has anything, is a glorious basketball history. We all know that. Any true fan should have stood up for that history, because UConn helped build it.

On whether UConn would benefit from realignment: Past is prologue. We all saw what happened when we left the Big East years ago. We went after football money, and sacrificed basketball in the process. Zanetto meagerly alluded to this fact, w/out ever mentioning the our true identify is anchored in basketball, not football. It was so gross, I asked myself if Zanetto is getting paid to start all this s---. A move to the Big 12 may represent more money. I really dont know about that. But a move to the Big 12 will mean leaving the place we call HOME. The glorious Big East. I do not want UConn to sacrifice basketball ever again.

On Duke teaming up with UConn to join the Big 12: He brought this up in his pod, months ago. The idea that Duke needs UConn to merge with anyone is laughable. I hate that darn school, but the fact is that they are one of the top collegiate brands in America. Duke is to basketball branding what ND, Michigan., Ohio St., and Alabama are to football. Stop saying stupid s--- please. Duke is the reason ESPN has the ACC contract. They don't need us Zanetto. And we do not need them.

On HIS FANS: A couple of times he referred to "HIS FANS" when talking about his audience. Zanetto, you are literally the last Pepsi in the dessert this time of year. There is nothing else. If we had a few more pods to choose from, you would have no audience. We are not YOUR fans. We are UConn fans starving for content and dying for November to arrive. Get that straight.

Please just stick to yawning and reading scouting reports drafted by other sources. You do not speak for UConn fans.
We get it—you’re basketball only. But for those of us who support UConn as a whole, it’s a broader picture. You're looking at this through a very narrow lens. Power conferences bring in power money, and in an era where players are chasing financial opportunities, with demand spread thin across big-money programs, it'll be interesting to see how Big East teams continue to fare.

I do agree though that Zanetto's story/segment was rough and if its true has gained zero legs which is telling in this media age. Saying UConn football played in a BCS bowl back in 2003 doesn't give much confidence.

Last edited:

caw

Reaction Score
I will give him the benefit of the doubt until the season starts.

Reaction Score

“We all saw what happened when we left the Big East years ago. We went after football money and sacrificed basketball in the process.”

Huh? As I remember it, the basketball only schools split from the schools that maintained football teams. A group of which last time I checked included UConn.

The AAC killed UConn Basketball? That’s a cop out. UConn won national titles in The AAC. What hurt UConn was mostly self inflicted. Terrible leadership from Susie Lax at the top combined with your AD making awful decisions in the only sport that moves the needle nationally.

Going back to the Big East was a bandaid when it was clear that The AAC was not a viable home for anyone long term. That said remaining there is not possible if you plan to maintain a real football program.

The only school that can succeed at being independent in football is ND, and even they need to make concessions. Get into a real conference long term or de-emphasize football. Those are the only two paths forward.

Reaction Score
Lost a lot of cred trying to break the news on this. For his podcasts sake I hope his rumor is true.

Reaction Score

I like the Big East. But it doesn’t have a sustainable long term future in major college sports.

It will be elbowed out of the buffet line like a fat parent elbows kids out of the line for that last piece of bacon at the Golden Corral breakfast buffet.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Relayed thoughts:
  • the nBE has never been anything near the oBE, but is still better than the AAC
  • I've been "meh" on locked on for its thin, stretched and weak daily content and unentertaining delivery
-- actively click baiting "fellow UConn fans" with a realignment troll, takes it a few steps past "meh" in a negative direction --- I'll apologize if it turns out to be real but I don't expect it will and he should know the angst that realignment has put us all through. It's a bad look to try and scrounge a few clicks on a slow day.

Reaction Score
Relayed thoughts:
  • the nBE has never been anything near the oBE, but is still better than the AAC
  • I've been "meh" on locked on for its thin, stretched and weak daily content and unentertaining delivery
-- actively click baiting "fellow UConn fans" with a realignment troll, takes it a few steps past "meh" in a negative direction --- I'll apologize if it turns out to be real but I don't expect it will and he should know the angst that realignment has put us all through. It's a bad look to try and scrounge a few clicks on a slow day.
Its almost as if the NIL person was trying to sabotage him. "this may be good for your podcast" ....

two days later.....

Reaction Score
It's only a matter of time when the SEC and B1G get their way with expanding the tournament, and structuring payouts that benefit them at the expense of smaller conferences.

I doubt that the 12 will make a move for UConn until the ACC lawsuit is finished.

Once the bigger fish, FSU, Clemson, and others move to the bigger conferences, the 12 will pick up and remaining pieces of the ACC. There's been a lot pressure on commissioner Yormark to brab the last remaining PAC 12 teams, Washington State and Oregon State, from form 12 schools.

I don't know how much room to grow the 12 conference has. It seems as though the law of diminishing returns is at play as you can't give 20 plus teams $30 plus million a year, but since two conferences will be dead, it's just moving money from Peter to pay Paul.

I think the SEC and B1G will siphon off any money away from the Big 12.

As I said in another post, if Yormark was smart, he should make a deal with all the smaller conferences, form their own league, have their own bowls and have them all agree not to play any games against the SEC and B1G. The big two need to schedule games, they can just play each other.

IMO, this would crush the big two.

Reaction Score
Uhhhhh..

Then why did you talk about it for 30 minutes on a podcast.

Attachments

• IMG_5416.jpeg
    IMG_5416.jpeg
    323 KB · Views: 171

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
As I said in another post, if Yormark was smart, he should make a deal with all the smaller conferences, form their own league, have their own bowls and have them all agree not to play any games against the SEC and B1G. The big two need to schedule games, they can just play each other.

IMO, this would crush the big two.
And it would crush the G5 schools as well. The payday they get for filling in the schedules of the big teams is why they play them. Some teams get well over $1 million to play at these big schools. They also get their brand on the broadcast. Its a win-win for both schools.

FYI - UTEP is getting paid $1.9 million for their 2026 game at the Big House while Western Michigan is getting $3.1 million combined for their 2026 and 2029 games in Ann Arbor. To put that in perspective, Western’s conference, the MAC has a new media deal with ESPN that will allow the conference to pay its members $2-$2.5 million a year. Right now it pays about $800,000 a year. Those Michigan games are a life saver for WMU and would be very difficult to give that up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom