Lock On- Zanetto | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lock On- Zanetto

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What does he mean by "and this is just the beginning?"
in the next wave, they will also be bringing in the Stanford, Hartford and Avery Point campuses well.

Reaction Score
This better be real. It feels like a T up for reports next week to start flooding that UConn now doesn't have the votes and that FSU paid the GOR fees and is BIG12 inbound with ville. But seriously this kind of talk and hype, if were to fall through before kick-off could kick the tires out and create another deflating season for the program.

Reaction Score
This better be real. It feels like a T up for reports next week to start flooding that UConn now doesn't have the votes and that FSU paid the GOR fees and is BIG12 inbound with ville. But seriously this kind of talk and hype, if were to fall through before kick-off could kick the tires out and create another deflating season for the program.
Mark Zanetto should quit while he is ahead. Do another show AFTER UConn gets the invite.

Reaction Score

How would his sources know more than the actual voting Big12 Presidents? What am I missing here... is the Big12 President lying? Is this just all political?

"I think the word is 'premature,'" a high-ranking Big 12 official said. "There's a far distance between conversations and anything that would happen. The presidents haven't seen the case yet."

Reaction Score
D'Amelio admitted on twitter on knowing nothing about what is happening but very hopeful.
What else could he say either way. His answer is not relevant at the moment.

Reaction Score
I was noodling about the Big 12 this morning..coffee allows me to type dumb things faster with more energy..

I don't think that the Big 12, competing with the SEC and Big Ten, will win football national championships....but, they could own basketball at the national championship level with a few strategic adds. Maybe the Big 12 Commissioner has his eyes on that.

But..the some of the AD's may not want schools to totally focus NIL and funding on basketball to the detriment of football...Maybe adds of UConn, Duke, etc would be required to pledge a continued effort to build their football programs.

But with money buying players, it is only a matter of time before basketball national prominence swings towards the leagues that have the money to bid on basketball stars on the auction block. UConn needs more revenue.

Reaction Score

Change x.com to twitter,com after you paste

What we pay the men's and women's BB staffs alone is probably close to double the BEs new TV contract. The Big East loyalists are nuts if they don't think BB will be greatly affected going forward with the status quo. There is talk of paying players directly from the revenue generated.

Reaction Score
Leaks about UConn joining a conference often seem to undermine our chances. For example, when UConn was rumored for the ACC, Louisville, caught off guard, made a last-minute push and secured the spot, leaving UConn out. More recently, similar leaks coincided with major shifts in conferences, yet UConn remains on the sidelines. Unlike schools like Cincinnati or BYU, where leaks indicate a done deal, UConn's leaks are filled with uncertainty, like "a long way to go" or "minds need to change." It raises the question if these leaks are a form of intentional sabotage, preventing UConn from securing a spot?

Hearing claims that it's imminent and UConn has the votes, while more reputable sources say it's far from happening and that Big 12 presidents are still skeptical and haven't been presented anything, highlights the issue. These leaks feel more like an attempt to undermine what's happening behind closed doors.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I was noodling about the Big 12 this morning..coffee allows me to type dumb things faster with more energy..

I don't think that the Big 12, competing with the SEC and Big Ten, will win football national championships....but, they could own basketball at the national championship level with a few strategic adds. Maybe the Big 12 Commissioner has his eyes on that.

But..the some of the AD's may not want schools to totally focus NIL and funding on basketball to the detriment of football...Maybe adds of UConn, Duke, etc would be required to pledge a continued effort to build their football programs.

But with money buying players, it is only a matter of time before basketball national prominence swings towards the leagues that have the money to bid on basketball stars on the auction block. UConn needs more revenue.
The BE has won a disproportionate number of basketball championships this past decade. Clemson has proven you don’t have to be in the SEC or the BIG to win NC’s in football so I wouldn’t count out the Big12.

I might be in the minority but in addition to Syracuse, Duke, Louisville, and Pitt I’d like to see FSU and NC State as well. But my guess is FSU is BIG bound. Where would you like to see FSU go? If not the B12 why not?

Reaction Score
idk which thread to ask this under, so i chose this one randomly.

Can someone tell me why 2031 for football is not a total crock?
I understand we suck.
I understand that's the new media deal year.

4 examples of "mid" or unimpressive programs, getting in on a reasonable (basically immediate) timeline:
  • Army gets into AAC - no worries of a media deal/splitting the pie for the other members
  • Cal/Stanford get into ACC - no worries of a media deal/pie split
  • SMU gets into ACC - no worries of a media deal/pie split

yet somehow, we have to "wait" until the next deal, AND still hit a laundry list of "goals" which means they get to back out if somehow we "fail", while still having given them bball which was the only card we had to play. How is that not insulting to UConn nation.

there has to be an element of faith by Big12 presidents, in letting UConn football in. It is idiotic of B12 fans & schools to expect UConn to compete on their level as an independent - if we do that in this post-NIL world, we deserve a championship trophy even greater than the CFB Playoff. I challenge any of the B12 schools to go at it alone like us, and see where THEY end up.

I suspect that "2031" must be a lowball starting point just to meet in a realistic middle (2028).
2031 is a generation away, in football/realignment terms. There might not even be a Big 12 or NCAA sanctioned FBS football, by then honestly. so 2031 IMO is a big middle finger to our program, and essentially Big12 getting their cake (uconn basketball) and eating it too (leave football out).

I seriously believe 2031 is basically never, as quickly as the landscape is changing, and ultimately a slap in the face to us. I wouldn't trust a deal that far away in the future. 7 years. No respect for us jeez.

Maric/Dave Benedict - please bring your finest negotiators to this table - Big12 lawyers & presidents will eat us alive and put a bullet in UConn football's head, if we let them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
idk which thread to ask this under, so i chose this one randomly.

Can someone tell me why 2031 for football is not a total crock?
I understand we suck.
I understand that's the new media deal year.

4 examples of "mid" or unimpressive programs, getting in on a reasonable (basically immediate) timeline:
  • Army gets into AAC - no worries of a media deal/splitting the pie for the other members

yet somehow, we have to "wait" until the next deal, AND still hit a laundry list of "goals" which means they get to back out if somehow we "fail", while still having given them bball which was the only card we had to play. How is that not insulting to UConn nation.

there has to be an element of faith by Big12 presidents, in letting UConn football in. It is idiotic of B12 fans & schools to expect UConn to compete on their level as an independent - if we do that in this post-NIL world, we deserve a championship trophy even greater than the CFB Playoff. I challenge any of the B12 schools to go at it alone like us, and see where THEY end up.

I suspect that "2031" must be a lowball starting point just to meet in a realistic middle (2028).
2031 is a generation away, in football/realignment terms. There might not even be a Big 12 or NCAA sanctioned FBS football, by then honestly. so 2031 IMO is a big middle finger to our program, and essentially Big12 getting their cake (uconn basketball) and eating it too (leave football out).

I seriously believe 2031 is basically never, as quickly as the landscape is changing, and ultimately a slap in the face to us. I wouldn't trust a deal that far away in the future. 7 years. No respect for us jeez.

Maric/Dave Benedict - please bring your finest negotiators to this table - Big12 lawyers & presidents will eat us alive and put a bullet in UConn football's head, if we let them.
Because, as you said, UConn football sucks. Is it Yormark's fault that ESPN and Fox won't pay anything for UConn football? He's trying to work a deal. The deal is he got ESPN to pay for UConn basketball, and for football to ramp up and improve and will be added five years after UConn joins for basketball.

SMU is not getting any money from the ACC media contract for nine years. It amounts to more than $200 million that they are not taking. That was their deal with the ACC. SMU is getting that money from their boosters. Boosters that UConn doesn't have. Instead of going to SMU, that media money went to the other ACC schools. That's how SMU got the invite. That's how they worked their deal with the ACC.

UConn has been wandering in the G5 desert for 11 years with no takers. How much hardball can Benedict play? If UConn doesn't like the deal, they don't have to take it.

Reaction Score

-> Cal, Stanford and SMU will come at a significant discount, which will help create a revenue pool to be shared among ACC members. SMU is expected to come in for nine years with no broadcast media revenue, sources told ESPN, and Cal and Stanford will each start out receiving just a 30% share of ACC payouts.

That money being withheld is expected to create an annual pot of revenue between $50 million and $60 million. Some of the revenue will be divided proportionally among the 14 full-time members and Notre Dame, and another portion will be put in a pool designated for success initiatives that rewards winning programs.

For Stanford and Cal, it will be 30% of a whole ACC share for the next seven years. That number will jump to 70% in Year 8, 75% in Year 9 and then full financial shares in the 10th year, sources said. <-

Reaction Score
Leaks about UConn joining a conference often seem to undermine our chances. For example, when UConn was rumored for the ACC, Louisville, caught off guard, made a last-minute push and secured the spot, leaving UConn out. More recently, similar leaks coincided with major shifts in conferences, yet UConn remains on the sidelines. Unlike schools like Cincinnati or BYU, where leaks indicate a done deal, UConn's leaks are filled with uncertainty, like "a long way to go" or "minds need to change." It raises the question if these leaks are a form of intentional sabotage, preventing UConn from securing a spot?

Hearing claims that it's imminent and UConn has the votes, while more reputable sources say it's far from happening and that Big 12 presidents are still skeptical and haven't been presented anything, highlights the issue. These leaks feel more like an attempt to undermine what's happening behind closed doors.

This is true. But there isn't another B2B NC Basketball program with the greatest Women's program that ever was and ever will be to trump us.

But yeah, I am paranoid too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ESPN isn't willing to pony up for full share for football. They will add our other sports at an agreeable amount to us. 2031 will be a new contract for the big 12. Assuming we don't crap the bed between now and then we will get a full share under the contract..

Reaction Score
2031 should be seen as a worst case scenario... if certain programs came available (say from the ACC) then there's no reason that the timeline couldn't be accelerated (much the way UConn entered the Big East early, when the league had a need) if there was a need for the Big XII from a scheduling or some other reason. The important thing is to have a commitment that football can join & UConn would participate with revenues at some defined date in the future... from there is always the chance the date gets pulled in

Reaction Score
No update here yet. Mark interviews Marie Lebrun, which is nice, regarding Andrea Hurley

Reaction Score

What am I missing here? If this is a done deal and Yormark truly has the votes why this dog and pony show?

Reaction Score
Listen/watch to the latest show. He says his source tells him there are some challenges for sure, but that Yormark has the 12 votes he needs.
No, I get it. I'm also being impatient. This goes beyond Zanetto; it's the fact that if they only have the 12 votes, well, they can still just vote and be done with. Why does it always have to be a soap opera for UConn?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom