Local prep coaches weigh in on UConn's status in recruiting world | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Local prep coaches weigh in on UConn's status in recruiting world

Reaction Score
He was definitely sour about Drummond. I mean, come on!

Also, Brewster has been churning out top players compared to STM.
Most of the brewster players had interest in stm first

Reaction Score
Top recruit. Not top player. Big difference.
Mal didn't do much in any of the games i saw but 2 college assistants that i talked to said he was their best player ....kind of surprised me i thought allen was the best.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Cal may be the greatest recruiter ever when its all said and done. Average coach but he's a great recruiter and motivator. Whether we like Cal or not his players run thru walls for him

I'm friends with a coach at a school that plays at the AA Prep level and competes with Brewster, Tilton etc. and produces a fair number of D1 kids. He says Cal is just a great guy. Fantastic guy to talk to and have a beer with etc. He's met and worked with a ton of D1 coaches, works at their camps around the country etc. So it's not just players, coaches seem to like him too.

I'm sure our view of him is colored by his time at UMass among other things.

Reaction Score
That KO, the staff, and UConn are still highly respected. If someone only read this board they'd think the exact opposite
Hogwash. Maybe the assistants but even Cslhoun has soured on Ollie. He doesn't take advice, runs a 1990s NBA offense and is a very weak game coa h. Look. It is very possible to succeed in this league but not by finishing 6th. Since 2010 there have been teams in the final four--heck in the Final game--from supposed lesser leagues half the time. So claiming it can't be done is nothing but a cop out. It is an excuse, not a reason for UConn's decline. The reasons are that we have a mediocre head coach who is not a great recruiter.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Coach Quinn from St. Thomas More saying exactly what I, and many others on this board have been saying. The AAC is a huge problem with these top kids. It just is.

"I think it's taken a hit. Unfortunately, the conference lacks the luster with a lot of these kids. They're in with the top players with every other major program. But the league doesn't bring a lot of national prominence. The rivalries are new; it's a new league trying to find itself. Connecticut is still going after the top-echelon kids in the U.S., and they've got some pretty good players, too."

"It's very difficult for those guys to compete against the Big 10, the Big East, the ACC. If you ask the same question to the people at East Carolina or Tulane - nothing against them, but they're not going after the same kids UConn is going after."
Why does UConn need top kids?

Can you explain gonzaga and the WCC?
Wichita ST in the MWC?

How are they making runs in the tourney year in and year out and UConn can't? San Franscisco is better competition than SMU or Cinci for recruiting or is it coaching?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hogwash. Maybe the assistants but even Cslhoun has soured on Ollie. He doesn't take advice, runs a 1990s NBA offense and is a very weak game coa h. Look. It is very possible to succeed in this league but not by finishing 6th. Since 2010 there have been teams in the final four--heck in the Final game--from supposed lesser leagues half the time. So claiming it can't be done is nothing but a cop out. It is an excuse, not a reason for UConn's decline. The reasons are that we have a mediocre head coach who is not a great recruiter.
Hogwash back at this
KO is not respected? He doesn't listen? - to who? and how do you know this?
Stop throwing crap at the wall and seeing what may stick

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Coach Smith perfectly described why everyone who freaks out on this board need to relax and take a step back.
Of course Coach Quinn described perfectly described why everyone who is relaxed on this board need to relax and take a step back and freak out. So there's that.

Reaction Score
Hogwash back at this

It's been widely reported that KO has been closed off to his assistants and others around the program, even to the point where he and JC don't talk.

Reaction Score
One mention by Dom is now considered widely? Got it.
Well the Courant says it, people here who know better say it. Heck I'm not even connected to the program and I've heard a bunch of the crap that's been going on.

Reaction Score
Hogwash back at this

You're responding to a poster who was so disappointed when UConn won the 2014 NC that he never bothered to come back and post on this board from early March of 2014 until the Wagner loss.

"Since 2010 there have been teams from lesser leagues..."

Since 2010 there has only been one team from a mid major that won the NC. One team. And free hated it when it happened.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He was responding to free scooter though. I can't imagine anyone could disgrace themselves responding to freescooter.

Reaction Score
Or it just crossed his mind but he never seriously considered it. We'll find out tmmrw i guess, not that I even want to know at this point

You know this how?

Reaction Score
Coach Quinn from St. Thomas More saying exactly what I, and many others on this board have been saying. The AAC is a huge problem with these top kids. It just is.

"I think it's taken a hit. Unfortunately, the conference lacks the luster with a lot of these kids. They're in with the top players with every other major program. But the league doesn't bring a lot of national prominence. The rivalries are new; it's a new league trying to find itself. Connecticut is still going after the top-echelon kids in the U.S., and they've got some pretty good players, too."

"It's very difficult for those guys to compete against the Big 10, the Big East, the ACC. If you ask the same question to the people at East Carolina or Tulane - nothing against them, but they're not going after the same kids UConn is going after."

That's a fact that the conference blows. I blame our administration and former XXXXXL Athletic Director. I can't believe that the bottom feeder of the ACC kept us out but BC did and will try again regardless of our renewed series. If ND gets in for all sports we have another shot. Like I'm a wealth of information to you all. Cross your fingers that we rise up because I CANT LIVE THIS WAY! AAAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHH!!!

Reaction Score
You know this how?
Everyone knows our conference situation but it doesn't account for our huge recruiting struggles lately and having a bunch of kids transfer. There were/are major behind the scenes problems that led to all of this. Admitting the problem is the first step, addressing it comes next and hopefully we will start seeing different results.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Cal may be the greatest recruiter ever when its all said and done. Average coach but he's a great recruiter and motivator. Whether we like Cal or not his players run thru walls for him
The walls are made of paper...like those Japanese domiciles...and the NBA is on the the other side.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom