Lobster Roll in CT | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Lobster Roll in CT

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Man, this is making me so homesick for Connecticut right now.
It’s that time of the year. We just fished the full moon. Ridiculous. They are jersey way right now though. Get out there!!!!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I like the sentiment. It’s right. But the last sentence is not true. I’ve seen bluefish eat bluefish. They are the dumbest fish in the world, I’ve caught them on a bare hook. If @Dove was a fish he’d definitely be a blue :)
You just made the list, buddy.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I like the sentiment. It’s right. But the last sentence is not true. I’ve seen bluefish eat bluefish. They are the dumbest fish in the world, I’ve caught them on a bare hook. If @Dove was a fish he’d definitely be a blue :)

Please do not step on the joke, oaf.

Everyone knows you can catch bluefish with a bare hook.

Reaction Score
Please do not step on the joke, oaf.

Everyone knows you can catch bluefish with a bare hook.

I caught a trout once with a bare hook. Was trolling on some pond near East Lyme (maybe Uncas) and had just reset my line after making a turn and it kept going out. So, I reeled it in and found a Rainbow hooked through the tail on end of it. Dumb luck.

Reaction Score

Abbott's Lobster in the Rough:

—>The protocol may have been a little different this time around, but the lobster shacks of New England—already geared toward a more out-of-doors experience—managed to mostly keep last summer feeling a lot like any other. The soft breezes blowing off the Mystic River kept the air naturally fresh at Abbott's Lobster in the Rough in Long Island Sound-adjacent Noank, where crowds of eager eaters stopped in for deviled eggs and the finest Connecticut-style lobster rolls in the land: meat (here, a quarter pound, though you can get more), melted butter, toasted bun, end of story.<-

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Abbott's Lobster in the Rough:

—>The protocol may have been a little different this time around, but the lobster shacks of New England—already geared toward a more out-of-doors experience—managed to mostly keep last summer feeling a lot like any other. The soft breezes blowing off the Mystic River kept the air naturally fresh at Abbott's Lobster in the Rough in Long Island Sound-adjacent Noank, where crowds of eager eaters stopped in for deviled eggs and the finest Connecticut-style lobster rolls in the land: meat (here, a quarter pound, though you can get more), melted butter, toasted HAMBURGER bun, end of story.<-
Incomplete without mention of them using the wrong roll.

Great lobster roll though; but we all know Ford’s is better.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The best lobster roll in every state is like a 50-way tie because no one except the most adept navel-gazers can pretend that there is much difference between any of them.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The best lobster roll in every state is like a 50-way tie because no one except the most adept navel-gazers can pretend that there is much difference between any of them.

It's more like a 5-way tie, as most states consider a lobster salad roll to be a "lobster roll"

Reaction Score
Incomplete without mention of them using the wrong roll.

Great lobster roll though; but we all know Ford’s is better.

Connecticut, along with a very small number of other States (RI, MA, NH and ME and maybe LI in NY) are fortunate to be able to debate if Abbott's, Ford's, etc. The rest of think we've struck gold when McD's brings back their lobster roll in the summer.

Reaction Score
Masking the flavor of something expensive by serving it cold with mayo never made any sense.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Masking the flavor of something expensive by serving it cold with mayo never made any sense.

Disagree.

You’re basically making an argument against ingredients.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think he's saying hot with butter > cold with mayo because the former highlights the lobster and the latter masks it.

No.

Butter, like the ingredients in a lobster salad, are enhancements.

You’re all from Connecticut and not Maine, so you feel the need to roll into battle, but you’re arguing against the very idea of chefs, restaurants, recipes and everything that is not a plain piece of meat on a plate.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No.

You’re all from Connecticut and not Maine, so you feel the need to roll into battle, but you’re arguing against the very idea of chefs, restaurants, recipes and everything that is not a plain piece of meat on a plate.
Yeah this makes zero sense.

The main difference we’re talking about here is hot vs. cold. Lobster is cooked. As food, it starts out hot. It doesn’t get better cold and that’s not an enhancement. Mayo is at that point, but that’s a low bar simply because you need some lube or else it gets too tough and fibrous.

Butter, on the other hand, is always an enhancement. Like salt. They always work.

I think of it like fresh corn. It is better hot and buttered, or in a cold corn salad?

And yes, I know that at its peak, great corn actually needs nothing other than a little heat and nothing else.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
No.

With that argument, salt and pepper are "enhancements".

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Corn is gross and your opinion has been flung out the window.

It's only the staple of the continent, so maybe move to Europe, where you can douse yourself in cold mayo? (Now that's an ugly image)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You’re basically making an argument against ingredients.
For anyone watches Chopped and bets on it, never choose the chef that "likes the ingredients to speak for themselves." They never win. The judges are chefs and they vote for chefs that make the ingredients taste better than themselves.

Reaction Score
Lol at arguing with Fishy food takes. He likes to talk about toddlers and food, that’s essentially the palate he has.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For anyone watches Chopped and bets on it, never choose the chef that "likes the ingredients to speak for themselves." They never win. The judges are chefs and they vote for chefs that make the ingredients taste better than themselves.

Well, I'll take a bit of a derivative. I never bet on a chef whose food is judged by the judges as "underseasoned". Time and again in food shows, being light on salt and pepper and butter do you in.

I'll also admit most of these food shows are timed and heavily edited, and the competitors don't have time to develop deep flavors so the quick and easy ones end up having most bang for buck.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As for the lobster roll, firmly put me in the toasted bun, warm and drillzed lightly with butter.

Chances of me finding anything served cold with mayo- chicken salad, tuna salad, macaroni salad..................., enjoyable is about zero.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What about coleslaw?

Not the mayo based. I do make a mean vinegar based ramen noodle slaw. I don't know if anyone likes it but any time I make it I bring home an empty serving bowl.
And if I did like slaw I would never have it out on a sandwich. Definitely a side eaten with a fork.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom