Lobster Roll in CT | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Lobster Roll in CT

Reaction Score
30-35 years ago my brother and I fished a lot in sound. Back then you could actually catch a lot of Blackfish (great eating fish) and we used to (and its not really legal but we were kids) sell them "in the backdoor " of a couple chinese places. literally back door (heres 20 pounds, heres 60 dollars cash) Anyway thats the preface to the story, there was a pretty famous shoreline restaraunt, who asked us to save the Skates we caught (skates were , and still are to me , garbage but I know times have changed on them) , and skates were an unfortuante byproduct of blackfishing, for every 1 blackfish you caught you you catch 4-5 skates, drove us nuts. and I found out why they wanted them. They were "punching" meat out of the skate wings and selling them as scallops. Anyway, monetizing those pieces of garbage (we let them go cheap, but it helped with Blackfish bait costs) was shocking. Restaraunt still there.
And flounder by the 5 gal pail. I have been asked to keep sea robbins. I heard chefs are making use of them now. Use to give them to my old neighbor for his lobster pots along with cunners.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
And flounder by the 5 gal pail. I have been asked to keep sea robbins. I heard chefs are making use of them now. Use to give them to my old neighbor for his lobster pots along with cunners.

That reminds me, when we really needed money we used to catch Porgy and drive them up to albany ave in Hartford. I mean I hated fishing porgy (its like catching sunfish) but you can catch them by the 100's and they loved them up there.

August_West

Reaction Score
I remember my father going out on a charter and bringing back a ton of bluefish. Thank goodness he came up with the idea of giving away a bunch of fish to anyone donating to the office's United Way campaign that year.

Bluefish are so fun to catch. It might be the worst eating fish (along with largemouth bass) on the planet. Terrible eating.

Reaction Score
Bluefish are so fun to catch. It might be the worst eating fish (along with largemouth bass) on the planet. Terrible eating.
Smoked they are as good as they're gonna get. The Latin ladies I worked with from Providence always asked for porgies, the whole fish. They did asked me to gut them which was nbd.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Jersey sissy. Bluefish are great, if obscenely fresh. The problem is that people treat them like garbage, so they end up that way.

@Duncan Idaho nailed it - smoked blues are awesome.

August_West

Reaction Score
Jersey sissy. Bluefish are great, if obscenely fresh. The problem is that people treat them like garbage, so they end up that way.

@Duncan Idaho nailed it - smoked blues are awesome.

Smoked blues are the only way it’s halfway palatable. It’s just too dark and oily a fish. A long slow smoke helps with that, but even then more than a small dose sends you to the badlands

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I'm with Pep. I'd rather blue fish than anything coming out of the sound without a shell.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Good Lord, Ford’s is so superior right now. What a meal tonight.

The Bisque Bowl was all that. Not an ounce left.

Lobster roll remained the premier lobster roll.

Noank chowder was somehow better than last time, and tied with Clam Castle as best chowder imo.

Lobster and crab stuffed avocado was great. Perfectly balanced.

Daughter had the lobster and avocado grilled cheese on Texas toast, which was ridiculous.

But the absolute unanimous surprise hit of the night were the fresh Mystic oysters. They were the only special tonight and they were the most constantly perfect tasting, smelling and looking oysters I’ve had in years, if not ever. I was with Mrs. 8893 and our youngest, both of whom are mild oyster fans at best, and they could not get enough. They thought they were by far the best they ever had. I could easily eat another dozen right now.

Oh yeah, chocolate mousse was also very good!

Blue Oar last night was fun. Perfect night. Average food for the most part, except my swordfish was above average. Love the setting and vibe.

Reaction Score
Good Lord, Ford’s is so superior right now. What a meal tonight.

The Bisque Bowl was all that. Not an ounce left.

Lobster roll remained the premier lobster roll.

Noank chowder was somehow better than last time, and tied with Clam Castle as best chowder imo.

Lobster and crab stuffed avocado was great. Perfectly balanced.

Daughter had the lobster and avocado grilled cheese on Texas toast, which was ridiculous.

But the absolute unanimous surprise hit of the night were the fresh Mystic oysters. They were the only special tonight and they were the most constantly perfect tasting, smelling and looking oysters I’ve had in years, if not ever. I was with Mrs. 8893 and our youngest, both of whom are mild oyster fans at best, and they could not get enough. They thought they were by far the best they ever had. I could easily eat another dozen right now.

Oh yeah, chocolate mousse was also very good!

Blue Oar last night was fun. Perfect night. Average food for the most part, except my swordfish was above average. Love the setting and vibe.
They get the oysters from the co-op next door. The co-op sells to the public $30 for 50 oysters, $20 for 50 clams in mesh bags. Makes for great weekend (less than) buck-a-shucks! They keep in the fridge for awhile if need be. FYI, The Fisherman at the Point opened this year nearby in Groton Long Point. Haven't gone there yet. Let you know after we go. We use to like going to the bar side of The Seahorse in Noank during the winter. Low ceiling, fireplace...it may have changed hands and reopening. Tough times.

August_West

Reaction Score
I'm with Pep. I'd rather blue fish than anything coming out of the sound without a shell.
Are you kidding ? You ever eat striper? You think bluefish better than that? Oh no.

how bout blackfish?

flounder?

winter fluke?

Jesus even porgy better

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Are you kidding ? You ever eat striper? You think bluefish better than that? Oh no.

how bout blackfish?

flounder?

winter fluke?

Jesus even porgy better

I like fish a lot but I haven't had porgy. Most fish is bland. Blues have flavor. I realize I'm a minority. It resulted in my getting lots of free blue fish.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I like fish a lot but I haven't had porgy. Most fish is bland. Blues have flavor. I realize I'm a minority. It resulted in my getting lots of free blue fish.

Minority?

You're in a group of one.

Even bluefish won't eat bluefish.

August_West

Reaction Score
Minority?

You're in a group of one.

Even bluefish won't eat bluefish.

I like the sentiment. It’s right. But the last sentence is not true. I’ve seen bluefish eat bluefish. They are the dumbest fish in the world, I’ve caught them on a bare hook. If @Dove was a fish he’d definitely be a blue :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Whelp I can’t argue with that , the definitely have flavor
FWIW, bluefish cheeks are delicious. Kind of taste like scallops. The rest? Not so much. I used to use them to bait lobster pots. (I never caught Blue on a bare hook, but I used to cast a 3 hook plug into Manhaden runs. They also went directly into the lobster pots.)

August_West

Reaction Score
FWIW, bluefish cheeks are delicious. Kind of taste like scallops. The rest? Not so much. I used to use them to bait lobster pots. (I never caught Blue on a bare hook, but I used to cast a 3 hook plug into Manhaden runs. They also went directly into the lobster pots.)

Menhaden ( bunker) are great ( if you keep them alive after getting them) for live lining for monster stripers. Once they are dead, yup they are great for chopping into a lobster pot, or chunking and chumming for blues.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I like the sentiment. It’s right. But the last sentence is not true. I’ve seen bluefish eat bluefish. They are the dumbest fish in the world, I’ve caught them on a bare hook. If @Dove was a fish he’d definitely be a blue :)
They are the same as bunkers, right? We always used bunker snaggers to hook them and then use them as bait for blues.

Nothing beats catching a snapper blue with a bobber and a cast-master lure imo. One of the best feelings in the world as a kid was seeing that bobber go down and feeling that pull.

Like a clean hit with a wooden baseball bat. Pure joy and adrenaline.

August_West

Reaction Score
They are the same as bunkers, right? We always used bunker snaggers to hook them and then use them as bait for blues.

Nothing beats catching a snapper blue with a bobber and a cast-master lure imo. One of the best feelings in the world as a kid was seeing that bobber go down and feeling that pull.

Like a clean hit with a wooden baseball bat. Pure joy and adrenaline.
Yes . Menhaden= bunker

August_West

Reaction Score
These were both caught on bunker:

my nephew:

64CDEB16-C893-4F34-9606-6C625BF77D65.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member