Lobo speaks the truth | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lobo speaks the truth

Reaction Score
Why do you always give negative comments to UConn on this board? If you are not a UConn fan, why not just find another forum which you feel happy to put positive comments.
I don't take issue with the comments. I take issue with the argument that somehow being in a "lesser conference" determines outcomes. If his/her justification for arriving at such skepticism is the conference in which UCONN plays, then explain 11 National Championships playing in such conferences. Explain UCONN"s performance against what is usually a top 5 OOC schedule...year after year. Don't abandon "OBJECTIVITY" when it doesn't support your conclusion. lol

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I don't take issue with the comments. I take issue with the argument that somehow being in a "lesser conference" determines outcomes. If his/her justification for arriving at such skepticism is the conference in which UCONN plays, then explain 11 National Championships playing in such conferences. Explain UCONN"s performance against what is usually a top 5 OOC schedule...year after year. Don't abandon "OBJECTIVITY" when it doesn't support your conclusion. lol
I feel UConn benefited greatly from it's rivalry with great Notre Dame teams. sometimes playing as many a four times a year. Also, back when Tenn fielded a competitive team.

UConn's 11 Championship teams were led by outstanding players like Lobo, Bird, Taurasi, Moore and Stewart. Those teams were going to win no matter who they played. Those were the glory days of UConn.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone, just pointing out some obvious facts.

Reaction Score
because it's not 2016 anymore. Teams caught upto Uconn, 1st gutpunch was in 2017 in that loss with Miss st. That invincibility is gone. The free agency of cbb the transfer portal has leveled the playing field. Back then Uconn could pick and choose what recruit they wanted, not anymore.

Reaction Score
So who starts tomorrow. Paige or Azzi? I'm assuming Nika starts. This is what I'm really looking for in tomorrows game. Who was getting reps with the 4 other starters this week. It's interesting watching CDs highlight film she looks best when Dorka is in. Of course I bet they get more practice time together as the second 4. It boils down to practice and who you are comfortable with.
Dorka and Carolina are a very nice combination! I enjoy watching the Caroline highlights with
that duo and a number of other high low and low to high kickouts. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I feel UConn benefited greatly from it's rivalry with great Notre Dame teams. sometimes playing as many a four times a year. Also, back when Tenn fielded a competitive team.

UConn's 11 Championship teams were led by outstanding players like Taurasi, Moore and Stewart. Those teams were going to win no matter who they played. Those were the glory days of UConn.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone, just pointing out some obvious facts.
And all I'm saying is....include those games when judging performance. Why act as if the UCONN schedule was just conference foes? And for all the complaints regarding UCONN's conference...I don't see other conferences rolling out the red carpet! And the oh, but UCONN football team is so bad response...spare me. Notre Dame football didn't play in the same conference as Notre Dame Women's basketball...so it is doable. There's a reason why a month ago everyone wanted a piece of UCONN and now they're feeling sorry for those in the Bridgeport Region. No one wants to line up and take their shot now. Conferences do not play in games. Teams play.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Great, reading all about Paige's point production, but little to nothing, about her assist & passing abilities. If you remember, in one case, how Aaliyah fell behind, in her playing abilities, until guess who showed up? Not till Paige returned & now with many assists, Aaliyah Edwards, has taken off like a rocket !
It was a post about the new balance on the team, not an analysis of Paige’s abilities. Chill

Reaction Score
because it's not 2016 anymore. Teams caught upto Uconn, 1st gutpunch was in 2017 in that loss with Miss st. That invincibility is gone. The free agency of cbb the transfer portal has leveled the playing field. Back then Uconn could pick and choose what recruit they wanted, not anymore.
SO...they lost a game and now....what, they're toothless? They lost to Mississippi State because of the conference they were in? lol? Very few teams go undefeated. Recruits choose the teams they want to play for...not the other way around. How many teams can say they made the FF each time in the last 5 years? There are entire CONFERENCES that can't say this! And btw...UCONN"s OOC schedule has been historically better than most conferences. And their conference...yes, lowly AAC and Big East are better than the OOC for these folks boasting about how much better they are because of the conference they are in.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Given that her injury required a surgical repair, I can't imagine the doctors letting her play at less than 100%. This isn't like having a nagging foot or ankle injury where you can play and grind it out.
The healing process takes time. Her being cleared means that she can participate in daily activities without risk of injury. It doesn’t mean that her knee or her repaired meniscus isn’t going to be cranky if it is overly stressed. But you probably already knew that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Mesmerizing of you let it play over and over.

And over.

Who is the phantom moving in from the left?
Dorka?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
And all I'm saying is....include those games when judging performance. Why act as if the UCONN schedule was just conference foes? And for all the complaints regarding UCONN's conference...I don't see other conferences rolling out the red carpet! And the oh, but UCONN football team is so bad response...spare me. Notre Dame football didn't play in the same conference as Notre Dame Women's basketball...so it is doable. There's a reason why a month ago everyone wanted a piece of UCONN and now they're feeling sorry for those in the Bridgeport Region. No one wants to line up and take their shot now. Conferences do not play in games. Teams play.
Regarding ND, they have been courted for decades to join a conference, not because of ND men’s hoops (for heaven’s sakes) and not for women’s hoops, because that was never important in conference realignment, but for ND football. I seriously doubt ND would be in the ACC if the conference weren’t hoping football would join. As it is, the ACC got half a loaf, with ND agreeing to several conference games but not a full membership.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What are you talking about regarding recruiting? UConn is the only team that can put three #1 ranked kids, a #2, and a #5 at the same time.

#1 Christyn
#2 Evina Westbrook
#5 Olivia

#21 Aubrey

#1 Paige
#23 Aaliyah

#1 Azzi
#5 Caroline
#15 Amari

Next year
#4 Ayanna Patterson
#5 Isuneh “Ice” Brady

The following year
#5 Ashlynn Shade
#8 Kamorea “KK” Arnold

Reaction Score
What are you talking about regarding recruiting? UConn is the only team that can put three #1 ranked kids, a #2, and a #5 at the same time.
I'm with you. It's not "the recruiting." The biggest issue is not as many hits from the recruiting on getting players that perform to A/A levels.

The issue in regards to recruiting has been that UCONN has had at most just 1 College Basketball All-American on their teams at one time since KLS and Collier left. UCONN is still "recruiting tremendous" in terms of ratings, but they've had a run of incredibly bad luck.

1-- Some of the top 5 “subjective” H/S rating service (I emphasize “subjective” and "High School") recruits never became top 15 College players. That's bad luck.
2-- The Hurricane that prevented number 2 recruit Charlie Collier from coming- she left UCONN late in the recruiting process after giving her a commit. Not faulting her one iota / one bit. God bless her. Terrible ordeal she had to go through.). That's bad luck.
3-- The leaving to the WNBA of Stevens and Walker. (Let's face it - if Walker was on 2020-21 team- UCONN is undefeated going into Tourney and no way Arizona was going to beat them.). This is unfortunate but nevertheless a reality in which UCONN still gets back to FF's.

Some will look "to blame" but that is not living in the real world. The point is just because UCONN recruits a subjectively rated top H/S player, they aren't automatically entitled to being A/A. The UCONN players are human beings - not a computer program of H/S recruiting rating services spitting out automatic A/A.'s Some years it's not going to happen with a one-and-done Tourney. And I think with some fans a certain perspective/ realization of this gets lost.

Reaction Score
I agree with Lobo not that I have to, she's in the Hall of Fame and Im not. But having Paige and Azzi is what separates UConn from everyone else. You can even add Christyn here. 3 of the last #1 guards. I don't trust many things but I trust with those three in a line-up, you'll be able to put points on the board.

Reaction Score
They're healthy, but neither was lighting it up even against the weak competition we played to end the season, so I don't think it's that simple.
And that goes to show you how scary this team is and could be when they do so

Reaction Score
I hate that fans media and all the Uconn haters don’t realize UConn lost 4 games cus Paige and Azzi was out so Lobo is on to something. Also why is it a issue win they don’t win the national championship. They have 5 since 2010 when all other teams have 1. Why aren’t people say those teams fell off or caught up to them. For example Tennessee haven’t won in the smartphone era. UConn is still dominant.

Reaction Score
I'm with you. It's not "the recruiting." The biggest issue is not as many hits from the recruiting on getting players that perform to A/A levels.

The issue in regards to recruiting has been that UCONN has had at most just 1 College Basketball All-American on their teams at one time since KLS and Collier left. UCONN is still "recruiting tremendous" in terms of ratings, but they've had a run of incredibly bad luck.

1-- Some of the top 5 “subjective” H/S rating service (I emphasize “subjective” and "High School") recruits never became top 15 College players. That's bad luck.
2-- The Hurricane that prevented number 2 recruit Charlie Collier from coming- she left UCONN late in the recruiting process after giving her a commit. Not faulting her one iota / one bit. God bless her. Terrible ordeal she had to go through.). That's bad luck.
3-- The leaving to the WNBA of Stevens and Walker. (Let's face it - if Walker was on 2020-21 team- UCONN is undefeated going into Tourney and no way Arizona was going to beat them.). This is unfortunate but nevertheless a reality in which UCONN still gets back to FF's.

Some will look "to blame" but that is not living in the real world. The point is just because UCONN recruits a subjectively rated top H/S player, they aren't automatically entitled to being A/A. The UCONN players are human beings - not a computer program of H/S recruiting rating services spitting out automatic A/A.'s Some years it's not going to happen with a one-and-done Tourney. And I think with some fans a certain perspective/ realization of this gets lost.
Do you have the guts to name these UConn players you are referring to, who never lived up to their high school national rankings, once they started playing for arguably the greatest coach in the history of the game of basketball. I find your post to be extremely insulting.

Reaction Score
Do you have the guts to name these UConn players you are referring to, who never lived up to their high school national rankings, once they started playing for arguably the greatest coach in the history of the game of basketball. I find your post to be extremely insulting.
Huh?

Are you serious?

If you are a number 1 recruit or a number 2 recruit or a number 3 recruit or a number 5 recruit which Nan referenced for example and are not an A/A - you didn't live up to your ranking.

All I was saying was that it's not automatic that not every UCONN player don't becomes a super player. They are human beings. And you find that "insulting?" Not every player coming to UCONN will be an A/A and you find that "insulting?"

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

Exactly. There is no guarantee that those highly ranked in high school will continue the skills trajectory in college. In many sports, there are some athletes that peak in HS. Perhaps this is what happened with the class of 2017. UConn had 3 of top 20, 4 in top 30, three transferred, and Walker, the #1 ranked, left after 3 years.
1647795530893.png

In Walker's SR year, the WBCA AA's were:
1647795544592.png

The right hand column is the ESPN HS rankings, and yes, I know that ranking services are crazy, but it still doesn't explain everything. There are countless HS athletes that are incredible, but for whatever reason, they don't live up to ranking/hype/expectations in college and beyond. It's like a lot of the football rankings and awards. How many Heisman award winners have gone on to prolific pro careers? Manning/Leaf, Brady, players from D2-3 schools.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom