Lobo speaks the truth | The Boneyard

Lobo speaks the truth

Reaction Score
The question is, "how healthy is Paige Bueckers? Is she 75%, 85%, 90%..................................................." We are going to find out soon
Given that her injury required a surgical repair, I can't imagine the doctors letting her play at less than 100%. This isn't like having a nagging foot or ankle injury where you can play and grind it out.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
They're healthy, but neither was lighting it up even against the weak competition we played to end the season, so I don't think it's that simple.
This fuels a misconception that the biggest stars should shine brightest against the weakest competition, when the opposite is really true.

It’s particularly puzzling that anyone observing Bueckers would have this misconception. Her string of 30 point games last year came against a strong part in our schedule, while this year her lowest point total before she was injured came against Minnesota, our weakest competition during that stretch.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
They're healthy, but neither was lighting it up even against the weak competition we played to end the season, so I don't think it's that simple.
Geez. Geno totally limited Paige’s time, we crushed those teams and we had really balanced scoring which means Azzi didn’t have to shoot a lot and while 6 other players were also scoring. I don’t engage in predictions and Azzi is a freshman and Paige is hard to know exactly how fit she is. But we sure are a lot more dangerous than when we played SC and an L’Ville team we almost beat with a pretty nicked up roster.

Reaction Score
I love Rebecca Lobo….she is smart and objective.
I totally agree and Paige aka “THE KID” is ready and raring to go.
I concur with Lobo….G-D BLESS….GO HUSKIES”
And never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!!!!

Attachments

• 80211A04-4E05-4391-AF62-FD2DD3382686.jpeg
    80211A04-4E05-4391-AF62-FD2DD3382686.jpeg
    305.9 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Here's the link to the "Everybody Eats" UConn T-shirt that you clearly need.

Cheer up for Pete's sake....

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
IMO this team can make it to the final four without Paige. I think that if Paige plays more than 25 minutes it may mildly disrupt the offensive flow they have developed.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The question is, "how healthy is Paige Bueckers? Is she 75%, 85%, 90%..................................................." We are going to find out soon

Given that her injury required a surgical repair, I can't imagine the doctors letting her play at less than 100%. This isn't like having a nagging foot or ankle injury where you can play and grind it out.
Well I imagine her knee is at 100% or very close. As Hoops said, the Drs probably aren't clearing her until then. However, getting her legs, upper body strength, shooting, speed, jumping, confidence, stamina, mentality all back to 100%, may take some time. We'll see how close she is to the pre-injury Bueckers.

Also, I'm really liking the moniker "The Kid". Lot better than "Buckets".

sun

Reaction Score
Every aspect about this UConn team has improved over last year's FF team.
UConn went from having zero seniors to now basically having 4 seniors.
And they still have Paige, AE and the super freshmen.
This team has so much more motivation to help Paige get back home to Minneapolis where the hometown fans will be rooting for UConn.

Reaction Score
They don’t need to light it up. Balanced scoring is what they need, which is what they delivered at the end of the season. That’s more of a threat to other teams than 1 or 2 players.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
In Paige’s first 6 games, through ND when she was injured, she averaged 21.1 points and team won by an average 12.1 points, with one loss.

In the 5 games since returning from injury, Paige has scored a total 30 points, averaging 6 points a game. Meanwhile, the team has been winning by an average 43.4 points.

This is a different team, not so Paige-reliant but a balanced team with a commitment to defense. IF Paige comes off the bench, she can be the dagger, the stiletto, that puts the opponent away after her teammates get them punchy.

I like it.:)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
In Paige’s first 6 games, through ND when she was injured, she averaged 21.1 points and team won by an average 12.1 points, with one loss.

In the 5 games since returning from injury, Paige has scored a total 30 points, averaging 6 points a game. Meanwhile, the team has been winning by an average 43.4 points.

This is a different team, not so Paige-reliant but a balanced team with a commitment to defense. IF Paige comes off the bench, she can be the dagger, the stiletto, that puts the opponent away after her teammates get them punchy.

I like it.:)
Okay, where is @Biff when you need him. I can just picture Paige with stiletto in one hand and the basketball in the other putting away an opponent, "The Kid" strikes again.:rolleyes:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One of the silver linings of Paige being out is that EVERYONE else on the team not only needed to step up, but to find their "own voice" so to speak. Meaning play, pass, score, defend etc. without sitting back and waiting for Paige to take over.

I do agree that it's not as simple as "Yay we have Paige back - NC here we come", and I really don't think most fans feel that way. In general, a healthy Paige can only help the team, but my concern is that without her for so long, and few games to re-acclimate her, what happens if/when we get into a close battle? Will the team revert back to "please Paige take over", or will they all do their part like they have been doing since she went down?

Side note - Lobo is all class. Always has been (same with Lawson for a Tenn reference).

sun

Reaction Score
One of the silver linings of Paige being out is that EVERYONE else on the team not only needed to step up, but to find their "own voice" so to speak. Meaning play, pass, score, defend etc. without sitting back and waiting for Paige to take over.

I do agree that it's not as simple as "Yay we have Paige back - NC here we come", and I really don't think most fans feel that way. In general, a healthy Paige can only help the team, but my concern is that without her for so long, and few games to re-acclimate her, what happens if/when we get into a close battle? Will the team revert back to "please Paige take over", or will they all do their part like they have been doing since she went down?
I'm only replying to you because concern about chemistry with Paige being back is such a common concern with some fans.
It's on Geno to decide when each player will be the court during a close game.
Whether he puts Paige in or not, he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't based on the final score.
Geno certainly doesn't want to lose another shot at a NC due to a coaching decision.
But whatever happens will be on Geno because that's why he gets paid the big bucks.

Paige is the only All American on the team and probably the most widely respected player in the college game.
Even if she makes a mistake it will only come back and help the UConn defense.
Or some other player will pick up the slack.
Or it will be a pay back for another player's mistake.
That's how team sports work when ref's make errors and players make errors that don't get called.

Every UConn player makes mistakes game after game throughout the season.
It doesn't matter if it's a turnover, an errant pass, missed shots, fouls, traveling or whatever.
Why should fans be so worried and only focus on potential mistakes that Paige could make if she were on the floor during a close game and not anyone else?

Every player is human but only Paige is Paige.
When the time comes then Geno and the team will live & die by his decisions that are his alone to make.
If the fans trust Geno then why worry?
Enjoy the moment and anticipate a great ending to the season.
If folks can't be positive about the team, the coach, the players or the team chemistry then maybe there's a better activity to engage in that doesn't create as much worry that needs to be repeated so often.
I realize that it's not easy to keep a positive attitude, but it's certainly preferable to being a negative worry wart.
Keep up the good vibrations and remember that Geno and Paige cannot do any wrong that will hurt the team.
Leave that up to the referees.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom