Lobo speaks the truth | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lobo speaks the truth

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
You can't really disagree with any post on this topic. There still are a lot of "IFS." I still feel a lot more confident about this team NOW, than I did 2 months ago. Let's hope it all comes together soon!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In Paige’s first 6 games, through ND when she was injured, she averaged 21.1 points and team won by an average 12.1 points, with one loss.

In the 5 games since returning from injury, Paige has scored a total 30 points, averaging 6 points a game. Meanwhile, the team has been winning by an average 43.4 points.

This is a different team, not so Paige-reliant but a balanced team with a commitment to defense. IF Paige comes off the bench, she can be the dagger, the stiletto, that puts the opponent away after her teammates get them punchy.

I like it.:)
I agree, but to date in her return she has been more like a Swiss army knife. Of course, she hasn't needed to be more.

Reaction Score
No one said winning a NC is simple. Lobo said with a healthy Paige and Azzi make the Huskies a national-championship contender.
Plus, that was not the only factor she cited to support her claim. She also emphasized that the team as a whole is now healthy, that they have nine starter-quality players who can and do contribute, that their play during the final part of their schedule was greatly improved.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The other question was: Is UConn's smothering defense and improved play solely the result of weak BE competition? We routed several teams before the semi-finals of the BE Tourney and then beat Marquette by 20 and Villanova by 30. I like our chances. We have improved our defense and rebounding, but need to reduce turnovers. If we do that, I like our chances. We have 9 players in Geno's comfort zone, and using substitutions can work in our favor.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
If Paige was 100% healthy, she would have played more in the Big East Championship game. What am I missing? Do people think she just needed 10 more days to get to 100%? Well, we'll see.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
If Paige was 100% healthy, she would have played more in the Big East Championship game. What am I missing? Do people think she just needed 10 more days to get to 100%? Well, we'll see.

She wasn't up to speed yet but it was also a third game in 3 days. She wasn't going to get major minutes in that scenario. I think adding another 10 days could make a very big difference. And now there are no more consecutive days for games. She could ramp up the minutes a bit more this first weekend and then have a few more days after that to contunue getting better. From everything they are saying it's more mental at this point than physical. In 3 more weeks if we are fortunate enough to keep going she might be pretty close to normal.

Reaction Score
The other question was: Is UConn's smothering defense and improved play solely the result of weak BE competition? We routed several teams before the semi-finals of the BE Tourney and then beat Marquette by 20 and Villanova by 30. I like our chances. We have improved our defense and rebounding, but need to reduce turnovers. If we do that, I like our chances. We have 9 players in Geno's comfort zone, and using substitutions can work in our favor.
objectively I have to say yes. How Can I not? Look at the records of the teams, St John's 11-17, Xavier 9-22, Butler 1-28. Yes you read that correct, Butler won 1 GAME ALL SEASON. They have 3 wins in the past 2 seasons. The worst team in wcbb plays in this conference so how can I objectically say Uconn defense is elite when there are bunch of bottom feeder teams in this conference. Depaul makes the play in game and they lose by 33? TO DAYTON? I mean this is not hating, this is brutal honesty.

Reaction Score
This thread was spiraling downwards into the muck. Don’t make me lock it
I agree--OMG, what are we debating here anyways--whether it is sensible for Rebecca Lobo to think that UConn is a contender for the NC? Well, usually #2 seeds and the No. #5 team in the AP in most cases are...

Reaction Score
Being physically healthy and game ready are two different things. As Geno pointed out, game ready means being both physically and mentally ready--True, Paige is 100 percent physically healthy but as expected she may not be quite mentally there yet. The body may be ready for Paige to jump up and come down, but her mind might not be totally there yet. Or a hard cut. Anyone who has had a serious leg injury completely understands this. This will take time in her reacclimating... Besides, they really didn't need Paige to win the BE...

Reaction Score
objectively I have to say yes. How Can I not? Look at the records of the teams, St John's 11-17, Xavier 9-22, Butler 1-28. Yes you read that correct, Butler won 1 GAME ALL SEASON. They have 3 wins in the past 2 seasons. The worst team in wcbb plays in this conference so how can I objectically say Uconn defense is elite when there are bunch of bottom feeder teams in this conference. Depaul makes the play in game and they lose by 33? TO DAYTON? I mean this is not hating, this is brutal honesty.
You're referencing Butler???? A game back on Jan 12th?

Secondly, you are refencing DePaul but excluding Creighton? Why?

Reaction Score
Why do you always give negative comments to UConn on this board? If you are not a UConn fan, why not just find another forum which you feel happy to put positive comments.

Reaction Score
Why do you always give negative comments to UConn on this board? If you are not a UConn fan, why not just find another forum which you feel happy to put positive comments.
The really great thing about his skepticism is that it has a wonderful proving ground of the Tournament--if the better teams that we face roll up the points on UConn then we'll know that we were all deceived by the stats that UConn put up against inferior opponents. I don't think that's going to happen. I've watched WBB since the days of Cheryl Miller and Ann Meyers and in IMO, this is one of the best defensive teams ever, especially with their depth, which allows them to press hard, and then bring in fresh players without a drop off in talent... But more importantly, every player is truly committed to playing strong defense and that is quite a rarity in the game today..

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Dayton was the regular season champion of Atlantic 10 Conference. They hit over 56% of their 3 pt shots, 13 of 23 while keeping DePaul at a 25% clip 5 of 20. The Flyers also had 3 players in double figures scoring 65 of the teams 88 points. DePaul also had 4 of their 5 starters in major foul trouble Morris fouled out while Morrow, Held, and Church had 4 fouls each. Dayton just out played DePaul on defense with them having an unheard amount of 15 blocks.

Reaction Score
Every aspect about this UConn team has improved over last year's FF team.
UConn went from having zero seniors to now basically having 4 seniors.
And they still have Paige, AE and the super freshmen.
This team has so much more motivation to help Paige get back home to Minneapolis where the hometown fans will be rooting for UConn.
Dayton was the regular season champion of Atlantic 10 Conference. They hit over 56% of their 3 pt shots, 13 of 23 while keeping DePaul at a 25% clip 5 of 20. The Flyers also had 3 players in double figures scoring 65 of the teams 88 points. DePaul also had 4 of their 5 starters in major foul trouble Morris fouled out while Morrow, Held, and Church had 4 fouls each. Dayton just out played DePaul on defense with them having an unheard amount of 15 blocks.
Plus, I believe 10 of those threes came in a stretch of 12 attempts! Pretty tough to come back when your opponent shoots 10/12 from three. By then, the game was essentially over.

Reaction Score
Every aspect about this UConn team has improved over last year's FF team.
UConn went from having zero seniors to now basically having 4 seniors.
And they still have Paige, AE and the super freshmen.
This team has so much more motivation to help Paige get back home to Minneapolis where the hometown fans will be rooting for UConn.
you putting too much emphasis with fans and "home court" Which I don't believe. Stanford will have a big crowd there, so would SC.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You zoomed right over Tennessee, a top 10 team at the time. And regardless of ranking or not, Maddy Siegrist is one of the best shooters in the NCAA, an All American, and UConn made her work really hard to get 16 points, 10 below her average. That was last game.

I agree that UConn’s defense is untested against top teams but it’s not as unimpressive as you make it sound.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Enough with this reality stuff.

Reaction Score
In Paige’s first 6 games, through ND when she was injured, she averaged 21.1 points and team won by an average 12.1 points, with one loss.

In the 5 games since returning from injury, Paige has scored a total 30 points, averaging 6 points a game. Meanwhile, the team has been winning by an average 43.4 points.

This is a different team, not so Paige-reliant but a balanced team with a commitment to defense. IF Paige comes off the bench, she can be the dagger, the stiletto, that puts the opponent away after her teammates get them punchy.

I like it.:)
Great, reading all about Paige's point production, but little to nothing, about her assist & passing abilities. If you remember, in one case, how Aaliyah fell behind, in her playing abilities, until guess who showed up? Not till Paige returned & now with many assists, Aaliyah Edwards, has taken off like a rocket !

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom