LIv NIL deal with Fabletics | Page 2 | The Boneyard

LIv NIL deal with Fabletics

Reaction Score
Seems everyone thinks I am against NIL.
If you are, it’s your business. You’re entitled to feel the way you feel about anything. It is what it is! When the college athletes couldn’t get paid it was an issue; now that the athletes can get paid it’s still an issue!?!?! Geeeeeeeze Loouuuuise…you just can’t with people in the world. I’m happy these young athletes have the opportunity feed themselves if/when times are not so good. I’m not knocking anyone’s opinions anymore in life. If I have any negative thought or opinion about anything I just say it aloud once to myself just to get that energy out and not offend anyone. Enough of my “saying nothing”….enjoy your day great ones!!!

Reaction Score
Yet she's on the honor roll :)
Yes, she made the dean's list last year, and I also believe she was a straight A student in high school. Not only that, but when she wears her glasses instead of contacts, she looks just like any other nerd. Well, sort of.
Cq6PmQRVUAAFTAz.jpg

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
NIL is now a part of college sports. While some folks may not be crazy about it, I really don’t have a problem with college athletes having the opportunity to make a buck, particularly when top coaches and schools are making millions off student athletes.
Actually it’s the “non-profit” NCAA making billions off of student athletes. The kids can’t get a gift worth over $25 without getting into trouble with the NCAA. If the players can get anything out of their hard work in college, they should. After all, only a small percentage can go pro. Let them get what they can

Reaction Score
Well Azzi's deal gives her free food for life, so that's definitely not year to year. I was wondering if some players would press more knowing real dollars and cents were on the line. The pressure is different. Before NIL you were just losing a game or having an off day. Now you're potentially losing your income. As someone said above, "welcome to the real world."
She must really like Mexican food to make a deal like that...........personally I'd be looking for more than tacos............:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
She must really like Mexican food to make a deal like that...........personally I'd be looking for more than tacos............:rolleyes:
They also have burritos, bowls, and salads! We have two Chipotles in my town, though I think one of them may have been a victim of Covid and shut down.

Reaction Score
Is this basketball?
It’s now the business of basketball. Some will follow the athlete’s deals just like some follow the contracts that pro athletes sign. Others, like me don’t care. I watch the games. Don’t care about the deals, when their birthdays are, what they are eating, how many social media followers they have, love interests, videos of practices, yada, yada, yada. Play the game and make a freakin layup.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
you're right but it does bring up any interesting point about additional pressures put on every player that signs these deals.........are these contracts covering their entire college career or only year by year? What if they have a poor season? Are they going to be dropped and what impact will that have on their game? This is a very different kind of pressure for an 18+ student......
Don’t know about everyone, but Paige’s agent made it very clear that she is looking for endorsement agreements that will bridge Paige right into the pros. That sounds like a 5-yr deal to me.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
People are forgetting about scholarships......they are getting a FREE education.
Very few NCAA athletes get athletic scholarships, and even fewer get full athletic scholarships. So there are literally thousands of athletes in non-revenue sports along with D2 & D3 that pay either part or all of their college costs.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Very few NCAA athletes get athletic scholarships, and even fewer get full athletic scholarships. So there are literally thousands of athletes in non-revenue sports along with D2 & D3 that pay either part or all of their college costs.
Presently, 14 UCONN women get scholarships. The average scholarship is over $25,000.

Reaction Score
Studies? LOL. I'll bet Paige spends more time in the gym working on her shot than she does a classroom. She ain't here to play school.
For time spent in 'Sports' yes, in 'Studies', I would not short change her !

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Presently, 14 UCONN women get scholarships. The average scholarship is over $25,000.
Yes, but most NCAA student-athletes do not get athletic scholarships, and up until NIL, those athletes were prohibited from earning money in ways that were absolutely ridiculous. For instance, if an athlete also happened to be a talented musician, they could not earn money selling CD’s with their music on it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
you're right but it does bring up any interesting point about additional pressures put on every player that signs these deals.........are these contracts covering their entire college career or only year by year? What if they have a poor season? Are they going to be dropped and what impact will that have on their game? This is a very different kind of pressure for an 18+ student......
NILs are business decisions....by both parties. It's probably why most of the high profile athletes are hiring agents - and some are hiring big time agents.

Reaction Score
Please let me add.
There is the opportunity, based on scholastic performance, to ‘roll’ Masters $$$ into the formula post Bachelor’s.
NIL- “the stuff that dreams are made of”.
(Maltese Falcon)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Yes, but most NCAA student-athletes do not get athletic scholarships, and up until NIL, those athletes were prohibited from earning money in ways that were absolutely ridiculous. For instance, if an athlete also happened to be a talented musician, they could not earn money selling CD’s with their music on it.
This brings up another legal/policy issue. NIL stands for "name/image/likeness", which seems like a more limited concept than saying, "It's fine if athletes earn money in any way imaginable." Is it now OK for an athlete on a basketball scholarship to have a job in the university library or a dormitory kitchen? What about a paid job ("internship") with a law firm in Storrs? Or a no-show job at a car dealership, which is provided solely because the car dealer is a basketball fan and wants to put some spending money in the athletes' pockets so that more of them will come to UConn?

I didn't think that NIL opened up these kinds of opportunities. I thought (and still think) that it is limited to obtaining royalties for the use of the athlete's name, image, or likeness. The examples above do not involve that.

Reaction Score
The working in a library or having a paid job in a law firm is now ok. It goes under the new rule about the athlete experience and if it's what other students could do and athlete shouldn't be limited. For instance, there are a lot of athletes that are only on partial scholarship at schools across the country. According to the old rules, even if all you got were your books paid for, you couldn't work. All that has been shot down, at least for now. Since there are no rules for the NIL at this time, I think it's pretty much each school or conference has their own rules. The car dealer can give an athlete a car and all they have to do is show up a couple of times for a promo. Kinda crazy right now.

Reaction Score
OK, I agree that the average cost is over $25,000, but the marginal cost of adding a scholarship to a large university is not $25,000. An example (maybe not the best one), say you buy a package of M&Ms for $1 and there are 50 M&Ms in the package. The average cost to produce that might be 50 cents, but the marginal cost to produce the next M&M is not 1 cent. They roll those puppies out by the millions.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This brings up another legal/policy issue. NIL stands for "name/image/likeness", which seems like a more limited concept than saying, "It's fine if athletes earn money in any way imaginable." Is it now OK for an athlete on a basketball scholarship to have a job in the university library or a dormitory kitchen? What about a paid job ("internship") with a law firm in Storrs? Or a no-show job at a car dealership, which is provided solely because the car dealer is a basketball fan and wants to put some spending money in the athletes' pockets so that more of them will come to UConn?

I didn't think that NIL opened up these kinds of opportunities. I thought (and still think) that it is limited to obtaining royalties for the use of the athlete's name, image, or likeness. The examples above do not involve that.
I believe it’s always been OK for athletes to work on campus or in a summer internship. The “no show” job was and is a violation.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The working in a library or having a paid job in a law firm is now ok. It goes under the new rule about the athlete experience and if it's what other students could do and athlete shouldn't be limited. For instance, there are a lot of athletes that are only on partial scholarship at schools across the country. According to the old rules, even if all you got were your books paid for, you couldn't work. All that has been shot down, at least for now. Since there are no rules for the NIL at this time, I think it's pretty much each school or conference has their own rules. The car dealer can give an athlete a car and all they have to do is show up a couple of times for a promo. Kinda crazy right now.
So long as the work in the library or law firm was actually performed and the compensation rate was commensurate with the job performed, those jobs have always been OK. So NIL doesn’t change that.

You have pointed a way around the “no show” job by tying it to some type of promotional activity. The athlete could simply have his or her picture taken (not in uniform) to appear on a billboard for the dealership.

Reaction Score
Yes, she made the dean's list last year, and I also believe she was a straight A student in high school. Not only that, but when she wears her glasses instead of contacts, she looks just like any other nerd. Well, sort of. View attachment 69999
Wearing glasses makes u a nerd? Uh ok

Reaction Score
It's rather foolish to think that these students are going to get rich on NILs. A lot of them will get free food-- all you can eat (if you dare), clothes, and even %discount. It never ceases to amaze me how many people view college athletes as getting everything free-- un-deservingly and rather ungraciously. There have been much talk about the WBB team not breaking even-- that there are in the red in regards to yearly dollars and cents. But, I would like those holding free-tuition signs up to calculate what the real worth of the team to the University of Conn. Almost every ex-player at Uconn mention the Program when interviewed. For example, a few days ago Sue Bird who left the school over a decade(?) ago did not failed to mention the Uconn Program and coaches alongside the great teams/franchise she played for in an interview with Holly. Take a look at how these ex-players have and are conducting themselves. As long as there is revenue sports at universities in the U.S., it is difficult for me not to see athletes as (below)minimum wage workers who are producing an enormous surplus to the university. Maybe Liv's NIL is little more than a second helping of the salad she is denied at the dorms. I vaguely recalled that a few years ago one or more MBB players were raising hunger as a problem! Perhaps we should get CD-- C. Dotty that is, to write a book about the slippy slope love-hate relations that some Uconn fans have with players./They are always becoming what we do not want them to be. Or, what we really secretly think of them-- as free-loaders, selfish, too political, etc.!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I believe it’s always been OK for athletes to work on campus or in a summer internship. The “no show” job was and is a violation.
Like an athlete having a job watering the athletic field that just happens to have programmable automatic water sprinklers. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom