Lister Resigns | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Lister Resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Actually - if you go back and look at the games, the team started their slump when Jasmine went on leave which shows how important she was to the team.
Started their slump? The team's play was no worse in January than it had been in November and December. The only difference was the timing of our most difficult games.

Reaction Score
For the record, rooting big time for Jamelle to stay. But... Just for kicks, throw another name out there - Sharonna Reaves. I know she's older (late 40's), but...

A third-year member of the staff, Sharrona Reaves joined the Lady Vol basketball program on April 19, 2016, when Holly Warlick hired her as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator.

Reaves wasted little time demonstrating her abilities, spearheading Tennessee's approach in signing the No. 1 recruiting class with the 2017 group of Evina Westbrook, Anastasia Hayes, Rennia Davis and Kasiyahna Kushkituah. She followed that with the No. 4-rated group in 2018, including Rae Burrell, Mimi Collins, Zaay Green and Jazmine Massengill, and the No. 8 class in 2019, including No. 2-ranked recruit Jordan Horston and 6-foot-5 inside players Tamari Key and Emily Saunders. Eight of those 11 were McDonald's All-Americans

It's a bit of an out of the box candidate, but if UCONN can land Westbrook after her unhappy stint in Tennessee, maybe a proven recruiter like her might be good fit (if Jamelle is not interested in staying)... I know some will say "many of those kids transferred out", but I think that's more on the Head Coach than the recruiting coordinator... and more to the story of those kids leaving than most people know.
I like your "out of the box" thinking and Sharonna sounds like a great candidate, but I'm really torn. I feel we need some youth in our assistants who can relate to the up and coming kids.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Started their slump? The team's play was no worse in January than it had been in November and December. The only difference was the timing of our most difficult games.

Disagree - they had terrible games against Memphis and UCF, no energy against Tennessee - which could easily have been a loss without AG stepping up. There was a stretch of games where the team came out flat and seemed completely out of sync. That was after a run of games in Dec where they were paying pretty well - Dayton, Seton Hall, Notre Dame, Depaul, Oklahoma.

Reaction Score
You have no idea of how valuable she was to recruiting. She could have been instrumental in most of the commitments of the 2020, 2021, and 2022 classes. If she was, her value was a lot more than what you say it was. I doubt if UConn's struggles early in the season was caused by Lister being an assistant coach and it remains to be seen that the team improvement would not have happened with her still there.
With the UConn focus on the best talent around the entire US (and some parts of the world), always felt that even with Geno led teams, the assistant coaches play a critical role in recruiting. While we will likely never know the entire story, appears the uptick in recruiting aligns with Lister rejoining UConn. At this point, about all we can do is thank her for her efforts and count on Geno to know what skill set is required to keep UConn on top.

Reaction Score
How is that demeaning? She was a young and inexperienced coach, it is no coincidence that UConn started playing their best basketball of the season when Elliott joined the bench. God forbid anybody tells it like it is in this day and age!
The fact that the post players (in particular Liv) improved after Jamelle joined the bench says nothing about Jasmine's age, experience, or contributions to the team. The simplest explanation for the posts' improvement is that Jamelle focused on coaching them whereas Jasmine focused on guards and recruiting. There's a difference between"telling it like it is" and "telling it the way you happen to see it". The former assumes omniscience.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Opera metaphors...The BY is getting high brow..lol

Well we won't need Conspiracy Kitty or @Carnac to predict that highbrow metaphors will not make a lasting change on your average Bone Yard poster.
But it was worth the attempt. :eek:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well we won't need Conspiracy Kitty or @Carnac to predict that highbrow metaphors will not make a lasting change on your average Bone Yard poster.
But it was worth the attempt. :eek:
Yes, I am now thinking of Caddyshack and the part where Judge Smails is talking to Ty Webb about partnering up as "You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and
I'm no slouch myself.
Ty Webb : Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous
slouch."

So yes, we here on the BY are tremendous slouches!

Reaction Score
The fact that the post players (in particular Liv) improved after Jamelle joined the bench says nothing about Jasmine's age, experience, or contributions to the team. The simplest explanation for the posts' improvement is that Jamelle focused on coaching them whereas Jasmine focused on guards and recruiting. There's a difference between"telling it like it is" and "telling it the way you happen to see it". The former assumes omniscience.

It wasn't just the post players, the ENTIRE team played tougher defense, played with a toughness, dove for more loose balls, etc. There was undeniable change when Elliott joined the bench!

Reaction Score
I was lucky to meet Jamelle while she was Cincy coach at the Junkanoo Jam in the Bahamas several years ago. She was smart outgoing and friendly. Once she found out I was a UCONN fan we spent a lot of time talking about all sports at UCONN. I see her as a good add to program. Can't go wrong with that move.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Yes, I am now thinking of Caddyshack and the part where Judge Smails is talking to Ty Webb about partnering up as "You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and
I'm no slouch myself.
Ty Webb : Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous
slouch."

So yes, we here on the BY are tremendous slouches!

From "the Marriage of Figaro" to "Caddyshack" all in one thread.
The Bone Yard where dreams come true.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno was still there... who do you think runs the show?

Can you not understand that some coaches have a different way of motivating? Of course Coach Auriemma runs the show, but maybe Jamelle was able to connect with the kids in a different way! Did you ever think about that?

Reaction Score
It wasn't just the post players, the ENTIRE team played tougher defense, played with a toughness, dove for more loose balls, etc. There was undeniable change when Elliott joined the bench!
Using all caps, an exclamation point and the word "undeniable" does not constitute evidence.

Reaction Score
Have always had a positive impression of Jamelle since her playing days. That being said, have been curious why she gets so much credit for improvements UConn showed as the year went on. CD has always been the bigs coach - would think she would as well. Could it be that Anna and Aubrey played more the 2nd half of year, Aubrey in particular giving better defense. Geno has mentioned ONO had an injury early in year-could it be as simple as it healed? While I'm sure Jamelle helped the team, Geno's teams always get better as the year goes on. Having Jamelle stay on as an assistant a positive option but let's not go overboard regarding the change she may or may not have created.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Have always had a positive impression of Jamelle since her playing days. That being said, have been curious why she gets so much credit for improvements UConn showed as the year went on. CD has always been the bigs coach - would think she would as well. Could it be that Anna and Aubrey played more the 2nd half of year, Aubrey in particular giving better defense. Geno has mentioned ONO had an injury early in year-could it be as simple as it healed? While I'm sure Jamelle helped the team, Geno's teams always get better as the year goes on. Having Jamelle stay on as an assistant a positive option but let's not go overboard regarding the change she may or may not have created.

When two events occur in close time proximity to one another, and it reinforces a strongly held belief it is, ipso facto, a cause and effect event.
At least if its my strongly held belief. ;)

Reaction Score
There has to be a recruit with a dad who coaches. :rolleyes:
In the 60's & 70's that happened all the time in college football, but it was the high school coach that went with. Different times. Unlimited number of Assistants.

Reaction Score
You need someone who is a "people person", not necessarily someone with great background as a player. They have to have the ability to relate not not only the recruit, but, maybe more importantly, to the family. And whether you like it or not they have to be able to sell heaters in the middle of the Sahara desert..

Reaction Score
Steelerone I really liked your post. A people person will go a long way in recruiting especially if the fam feels good. Agree with you indeed!

Reaction Score
You need someone who is a "people person", not necessarily someone with great background as a player. They have to have the ability to relate not not only the recruit, but, maybe more importantly, to the family. And whether you like it or not they have to be able to sell heaters in the middle of the Sahara desert..
..........ice to Eskimos in winter.

Reaction Score
In that case lets hire Willie Loman

Reaction Score
When two events occur in close time proximity to one another, and it reinforces a strongly held belief it is, ipso facto, a cause and effect event.
At least if its my strongly held belief. ;)
In a nod to the high brow among us, post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom