Lister Resigns | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Lister Resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I tend to disagree with your assessment, first the current situation is nothing like the previous dozen "so-called" hiring freezes. You have millions of people that have been deemed "Non-essential", do you think they would look at any politician who thinks that an assistant coach of a college basketball team is "essential" be it in CT or elsewhere. Here in NV the women's BB team hired a new coach, she is currently the ONLY coach on the team due to the hiring freeze and I don't see anyone coming on board until the Govt lifts the current restrictions.

That's Nev. In CT hiring freezes are mostly just suggestions. In fact they are heavily publicized when they are announced but I never saw, heard or read one of them being lifted. They just kind of disappear from memory until the next one is announced. We'll find out which of us is right soon enough.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Lister resigning opens the door for Jamelle to stay on the coaching staff, I will take that trade 100/100 times! Coach Elliott did more in a few months than Lister did in her entire time at UConn. Not a knock against Lister, she is a young coach finding her way, but Jamelle just brings that experience and nastiness that this team has been missing for a while.
I prefer to say that Jamelle has toughness.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
For the record, rooting big time for Jamelle to stay. But... Just for kicks, throw another name out there - Sharonna Reaves. I know she's older (late 40's), but...

A third-year member of the staff, Sharrona Reaves joined the Lady Vol basketball program on April 19, 2016, when Holly Warlick hired her as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator.

Reaves wasted little time demonstrating her abilities, spearheading Tennessee's approach in signing the No. 1 recruiting class with the 2017 group of Evina Westbrook, Anastasia Hayes, Rennia Davis and Kasiyahna Kushkituah. She followed that with the No. 4-rated group in 2018, including Rae Burrell, Mimi Collins, Zaay Green and Jazmine Massengill, and the No. 8 class in 2019, including No. 2-ranked recruit Jordan Horston and 6-foot-5 inside players Tamari Key and Emily Saunders. Eight of those 11 were McDonald's All-Americans

It's a bit of an out of the box candidate, but if UCONN can land Westbrook after her unhappy stint in Tennessee, maybe a proven recruiter like her might be good fit (if Jamelle is not interested in staying)... I know some will say "many of those kids transferred out", but I think that's more on the Head Coach than the recruiting coordinator... and more to the story of those kids leaving than most people know.

If she can get the job done, age is not a problem. Jolete Law (South Carolina asst. coach) is 52. She was hired away from TN by Staley 3 years ago. Recruiting was not Staley's strong suit. Hiring Law solved THAT problem. Law in turn lured (stole) Aaliyah Boston away from us. She is an excellent recruiter and has the proven "chops" to get the job done. If Reaves is a proven recruiter that can deliver, her age won't be a problem, but more of an asset. If Law can do it at 52, she can do it at 48. Sharrona Reaves Birthday: Oct. 1, 1971

Whoever Geno hires, I hope she's an excellent recruiter. This position is a highly coveted position that does not open up very often. No doubt there will be a large number of inquiries from potential candidates.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here in NV the women's BB team hired a new coach, she is currently the ONLY coach on the team due to the hiring freeze and I don't see anyone coming on board until the Govt lifts the current restrictions.

UNLV hired THREE new assistant coaches last week for the women's team.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Good!! They needed a fresh start with a completely new staff. Change the culture and recruit some players that want to play hard nose Mountain West WCBB. Keep the hometown talent there in LV. I'm familiar with their women's BB program. I followed them closely and attended about 15-20 games over the last 4 years. My granddaughter graduated from there last year. She was one of the team managers for 4 years.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
How about we take JPM as an assistant and Duke gives us their spot in the ACC?

i-am-legend.gif

Reaction Score
G-dspeed

To bad I wish her well! She seemed to have a great relationship with current and potential future recruits. I hope this won’t negatively impact future recruits. I’m not sure Jamelle Elliott wants the job on a permanent basis. She may also be carrying some baggage resulting from her firing at Cincinnati.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I believe that Jamelle will stay on as an assistant, at least until the hiring freeze is lifted. She is already considered an assistant coach so her staying there would not violate the current policy. It would also keep some continuity for next season with the players especially Liv.
Jamelle did appear to enjoy her return to coaching, and her work with Liv achieved great results in a short period of time. If Jamelle comes back she can not only work with Liv some more, but she will have the opportunity to mold two newbies (Aaliyah & Piath) into frontcourt impact players.

I agree that Jamelle will stay on until the slot can be filled.

I wonder if she's been enjoying coaching so much because she knows it's temporary. I'm enjoying telecommuting, but if I thought it was forever, I wouldn't enjoy it so much.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maybe Holly for her intel on TN? :eek::eek::eek::oops::oops::oops:;););)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I must have missed this, but please read below.

LAS VEGAS - (UNLVRebels.com) - UNLV women's basketball head coach Lindy La Rocque announced the hiring of her coaching staff Tuesday. Roman Owen, Mia Bell and Nneka Enemkpali will all be assistant coaches for the Lady Rebels.

All three positions were approved before the state's hiring freeze was instituted.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty. How far did you wander from the conference realignment board?
Haven't seen you in ages. :D

Conspiracy Kitty says:
I am everywhere, and yet, I am nowhere.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Public higher ed is going to be in for a tough, tough haul, especially if students cant come back to campus & sports are cancelled. Expect layoffs, spending freezes and cuts, & possibly worse. We just hear about airline, car, cruise sectors. Its a different kind of impact when our higher ed system collapses...

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
First off, comparing player impact between Jamelle and Jazmine isn’t fair. Jamelle worked closely with the posts while Jazmine worked closely with the guards. There would naturally be a shift in how the team performs when there is a new voice mid-season. It could have gone either way and we got lucky.

Secondly, some of you should be ashamed with your trash talk and speculation about her life and intentions. People take new jobs all the time without having to endure the comments from the peanut section and this shouldn’t be any different. She was a SECOND YEAR assistant coach — not Geno. Wave goodbye and take the high road.

Lastly, just hold tight for the announcement. If Geno can hire, we’ll know shortly. Jazmine came on board pretty quickly and considering how much time she’s spent away from the program, I’d imagine Geno knows his next step. Hell, he knows the next ten steps.

I swear some of you only crawl out from behind your keyboard when you have something negative to say...

Reaction Score
I must have missed this, but please read below.

LAS VEGAS - (UNLVRebels.com) - UNLV women's basketball head coach Lindy La Rocque announced the hiring of her coaching staff Tuesday. Roman Owen, Mia Bell and Nneka Enemkpali will all be assistant coaches for the Lady Rebels.

All three positions were approved before the state's hiring freeze was instituted.

The timeline on this is very interesting:

March 15th - Nevada Governor announces a hiring freeze that includes UNLV
March 18th - UNLV hires new women's head coach.
April 28th - UNLV announces that three new women's assistant coaches have been hired. Says their positions were approved prior to the hiring freeze (which began before the new coach had even been hired!)

sounds like there may have been a bit of backdating.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
c'mon, that's NOT a knock against Lister??? sure as hell is.

no need to demean the woman in this thread. geez. why do that?

How is that demeaning? She was a young and inexperienced coach, it is no coincidence that UConn started playing their best basketball of the season when Elliott joined the bench. God forbid anybody tells it like it is in this day and age!

Reaction Score
How is that demeaning? She was a young and inexperienced coach, it is no coincidence that UConn started playing their best basketball of the season when Elliott joined the bench. God forbid anybody tells it like it is in this day and age!
Geno was still there... who do you think runs the show?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
So much we don't know....

Why was Jaz hired in the first place?
What were her accomplishments?
Why did she take the Leave?
What were the reasons that caused her resignation?

Other than Geno's obvious affection and respect for her...the rest is a mystery..

Not like the good old world of opera...Yesterday I just was perusing a 20-something year old controversy at the MET when Cecilia Bartoli decided to perform alternative arias that Mozart had written for Susanna in the Marriage of Figaro...they're fascinating showstoppers (which in this taunt opera is not an advantage), but are not nearly as convincing dramatically...display pieces for a great singer lacking the requisite acting impulses required for Susanna's subtle charactor.

Writers from New York, Washington, London and Vienna chimed in...Everyone gave interviews...Bartoli (of course) Levine the conductor, Volpe, the general manager, Jonathan Miller, the aggrieved stage director...

Yesterday, the MET broadcast that wonderful performance as part of their (esteemed) free streaming service...As I watched...my fav opera... I wondered why Bartoli was singing those strange arias...

Dug into the internet, recovered the articles cited above and had the full story...or at least as much of it as I cared to know...
________

I'm interested in Jaz...had a minor (very), extremely slight, personal relationship... Found her charming and intelligent...

But oh gosh...the unknowns and PC barriers to understanding in woman's college BB are a pain to navigate....So be it...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That is a 'stock phrase' in resignation reporting and has no real meaning since unless the person is retiring or won the lottery, they will be working somewhere in some profession. I wouldn't read anything in to that phrase.
Wouldn't it be nice if people just said what they mean / stated the truth instead of always using a default statement? Why can't she just state her reason? It's like reading from a scripted playbook and that leads to assumptions. :oops:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
You have no idea of how valuable she was to recruiting. She could have been instrumental in most of the commitments of the 2020, 2021, and 2022 classes. If she was, her value was a lot more than what you say it was. I doubt if UConn's struggles early in the season was caused by Lister being an assistant coach and it remains to be seen that the team improvement would not have happened with her still there.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score

Actually - if you go back and look at the games, the team started their slump when Jasmine went on leave which shows how important she was to the team. Agree that they started playing better again once Jamelle joined, which maybe shows how important it is to have full set of assistants.

Reaction Score
So much we don't know....

Why was Jaz hired in the first place?
What were her accomplishments?
Why did she take the Leave?
What were the reasons that caused her resignation?

Other than Geno's obvious affection and respect for her...the rest is a mystery..

Not like the good old world of opera...Yesterday I just was perusing a 20-something year old controversy at the MET when Cecilia Bartoli decided to perform alternative arias that Mozart had written for Susanna in the Marriage of Figaro...they're fascinating showstoppers (which in this taunt opera is not an advantage), but are not nearly as convincing dramatically...display pieces for a great singer lacking the requisite acting impulses required for Susanna's subtle charactor.

Writers from New York, Washington, London and Vienna chimed in...Everyone gave interviews...Bartoli (of course) Levine the conductor, Volpe, the general manager, Jonathan Miller, the aggrieved stage director...

Yesterday, the MET broadcast that wonderful performance as part of their (esteemed) free streaming service...As I watched...my fav opera... I wondered why Bartoli was singing those strange arias...

Dug into the internet, recovered the articles cited above and had the full story...or at least as much of it as I cared to know...
________

I'm interested in Jaz...had a minor (very), extremely slight, personal relationship... Found her charming and intelligent...

But oh gosh...the unknowns and PC barriers to understanding in woman's college BB are a pain to navigate....So be it...
Opera metaphors...The BY is getting high brow..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22