OT: - List Your top 5 Groups or Artists of All Time, Then Post One Song From Each | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: List Your top 5 Groups or Artists of All Time, Then Post One Song From Each

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Moody Blues are number one for me, and I've been fortunate to see them starting in 1972 and then at the SPAC in 2018, I believe, just before they finally called it quits as a group. Love 'Have You Heard,' Bigboote!

Moody Blues/'Tuesday Afternoon' (by a narrow margin over dozens of others)
Bee Gees/'I Started A Joke'
Queen/'Bohemian Rhapsody'
Abba/'The Winner Takes It All' (although 'Dancing Queen' is pretty darned special)
Neil Diamond/'Be' (with apologies to our girl Caroline)
That whole soundtrack album by Neil Diamond is excellent.
"Be" is a great choice.
"Lost, in a painted sky. Where the clouds are hung for the poet's eye..."
So far, I'm being successful in not posting an 'Honorable Mention' list because it would never end...

Reaction Score
Thanks so much, Scud49, for confusing the heck out of me... this a such a difficult list to make.
Sorry, I know its nigh on impossible to pick a top 5 fav groups, then select one tune from each - but I thought maybe we could run with it after giving it some thought...! In all honesty, my 2nd "top 5" groups I'm sure I like as much as the first 5.

Oh well, it's the off season still, we get to obsess over "other things" for a while longer. :)

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
1. Johnny Mathis (for over 60 years)
2. The Whispers
3. The Stylistics
4. The Carpenters (Karen died way too soon) :(
5. Steely Dan
Brenda Lee
Candy Dulfer
Nat King Cole
Nancy Wilson
Patsy Cline
Luther Vandross
Shalamar
Shilts
Tommy Edwards

I've had the pleasure of seeing Mathis in concert at least 10 times over the years. Every time I went, price was no object. I wanted the best seats that were available. The last time was in Las Vegas at the Hilton. I stood in line to enter the auditorium right behind the Late Bill Russell, who went to USF at the same time Mathis was attending San Francisco State in the mid 50's.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Hard to believe anyone that young could have written this but then again there was only one John Prine

Reaction Score
1. Johnny Mathis (for over 60 years)
2. The Whispers
3. The Stylistics
4. The Carpenters (Karen died way too soon) :(
5. Steely Dan
Brenda Lee
Candy Dulfer
Nat King Cole
Nancy Wilson
Patsy Cline
Luther Vandross
Shalamar
Shilts
Tommy Edwards

I've had the pleasure of seeing Mathis in concert at least 10 times over the years. Every time I went, price was no object. I wanted the best seats that were available. The last time was in Las Vegas at the Hilton. I stood in line to enter the auditorium right behind the Late Bill Russell, who went to USF at the same time Mathis was attending San Francisco State in the mid 50's.

And Johnny didn't just attend SFT at the same time as Russell, he and Bill were two of the top high jumpers of their era!

Mathis' Christmas album from the late '50s is my go-to music to get me in the mood for the holiday. I wish I'd been along one of those 10 times, Carnac. You were blessed. My Dad loved Johnny when I was a little kid and I inherited his appreciation for that peerless voice.

Reaction Score
I love their "Your Wildest Dreams" which I saw in their concert.

I'm with you, Kaizen. That song and 'I Know You're Out There Somewhere' were big hits in the '80s and brought the Moodies a whole new generation of fans.

It was always fun at their concerts to look around to see which generation got into which songs the most...

Reaction Score
Sorry, I know its nigh on impossible to pick a top 5 fav groups, then select one tune from each - but I thought maybe we could run with it after giving it some thought...! In all honesty, my 2nd "top 5" groups I'm sure I like as much as the first 5.

Oh well, it's the off season still, we get to obsess over "other things" for a while longer. :)
No apologies, please, Scud49. That was a poorly done attempt at tongue-in-cheek humor by me. I love the thread and everyone's contributions!

As Littlemin just wrote, it's all about the beauty of music.

Reaction Score
Beatles have to be the #1 group for me. Trying to pick one tune is hard, real hard. But I'll go with one off the "Revolver" album which is just amazing. This one is "I'm Only Sleeping':

Reaction Score

Hard to believe anyone that young could have written this but then again there was only one John Prine

Saw him do this one live at a small club in Indianapolis, probably 1987 or so. It was just him and his traveling music partner, both on guitar. Just magical, they were perhaps only 20 feet from me and my buddies.

Reaction Score
The Moody Blues are number one for me, and I've been fortunate to see them starting in 1972 and then at the SPAC in 2018, I believe, just before they finally called it quits as a group. Love 'Have You Heard,' Bigboote!

Moody Blues/'Tuesday Afternoon' (by a narrow margin over dozens of others)
Bee Gees/'I Started A Joke'
Queen/'Bohemian Rhapsody'
Abba/'The Winner Takes It All' (although 'Dancing Queen' is pretty darned special)
Neil Diamond/'Be' (with apologies to our girl Caroline)

How, oh how, do I leave out Roy Orbison/'In Dreams'?

Thanks so much, Scud49, for confusing the heck out of me... this a such a difficult list to make.

And, bowing to my Irish heritage, U2, The Chieftains, Van Morrison and the Cranberries...
Didn't WNEW FM use "Dawning is the Day" as their lead in for station ID in the1970's ?

Reaction Score
1. Bruce Springsteen
2. U2
3. Railroad Earth
4. Van Morrison
5. Pink
HM: ELO, Yes, Paramore, Stones

I wrote the above list while driving in heavy traffic through Charlotte and later reflected on my choices. I got thinking it depends when I was asked this question.

If you asked me when I was 15 my list would look like this:
1. Queen
2. Kiss
3. Kansas
4. Styx
5. Blonde

If you asked me when I was 20 my list would look like this:
1. Springsteen
2. The Dead
3. The Doors
4. Yes
5. The Who