OT: - List Your top 5 Groups or Artists of All Time, Then Post One Song From Each | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: List Your top 5 Groups or Artists of All Time, Then Post One Song From Each

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
And Johnny didn't just attend SFT at the same time as Russell, he and Bill were two of the top high jumpers of their era!

Mathis' Christmas album from the late '50s is my go-to music to get me in the mood for the holiday. I wish I'd been along one of those 10 times, Carnac. You were blessed. My Dad loved Johnny when I was a little kid and I inherited his appreciation for that peerless voice.
You would have loved his performance. Johnny sang all of his popular songs that we liked, and some songs that HE liked. I never saw any children or teenagers at his concerts. Mid 40’s and up. You listened to his music on the radio or on vinyl many many times. So when you get the opportunity to see him in person only several yards from you, that’s a treat.

Reaction Score

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
As a Baby Boomer and a professional musician, making any list is next to impossible. I'm all over the place in terms of vocals, instrumentals, pop, rock, blues, jazz and classical. Today's top 5 will be different from tomorrows.

So, I'll pick one the present jazz band I'm playing with is doing. One of my favorite vocalists - Nat King Cole.

Reaction Score
My Top 5:

1. Beatles
2. Crosby, Still, Nash, & Young
3. Steely Dan
4. Van Morrison
5. Santana

I'll start with Santana - I'll Be Waiting, such a beautiful, joyous song:

Very nice idea Scud.

Reaction Score
1. Johnny Mathis (for over 60 years)
2. The Whispers
3. The Stylistics
4. The Carpenters (Karen died way too soon) :(
5. Steely Dan
Brenda Lee
Candy Dulfer
Nat King Cole
Nancy Wilson
Patsy Cline
Luther Vandross
Shalamar
Shilts
Tommy Edwards

I've had the pleasure of seeing Mathis in concert at least 10 times over the years. Every time I went, price was no object. I wanted the best seats that were available. The last time was in Las Vegas at the Hilton. I stood in line to enter the auditorium right behind the Late Bill Russell, who went to USF at the same time Mathis was attending San Francisco State in the mid 50's.

Love Johnny Mathis. What a great voice.

Reaction Score
1. Moody Blues - any song
2. Rippingtons - Caribbean breeze
3. Yes - Close to the edge
4. Genesis - Driving the Last Spike
5. Beach Boys - God only knows

Caribbean Breeze

Great call on the Rippingtons. I'm surprised I didn't see a song by them on the jazz thread.

Reaction Score
I wrote the above list while driving in heavy traffic through Charlotte and later reflected on my choices. I got thinking it depends when I was asked this question.

If you asked me when I was 15 my list would look like this:
1. Queen
2. Kiss
3. Kansas
4. Styx
5. Blonde

If you asked me when I was 20 my list would look like this:
1. Springsteen
2. The Dead
3. The Doors
4. Yes
5. The Who

If you asked me when I was 25 my list would look like this:
1. Springsteen
2. U2
3. Van Halen
4. Guns N Roses
5. Beatles/Stones

If you asked me when I was 30 my list would look like this:
1. Springsteen
2. Garth Brooks
3. The Cure
4. Smashing Pumpkins
5. Blink 182

If you asked me when I was 35 my list would like this:
1. Springsteen
2. Springsteen
3. Springsteen
4. Springsteen
5. Springsteen

And, if you asked me when I was 10 my list would look like this:
1. America
2. The Partridge Family
3. Donna Fargo
4. Zager and Evans
5. Tanya Tucker

I really haven’t evolved much.
Good call on the Partridge Family. Still watch that show to this day.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
1- Queen- Don't stop me now
2- Jefferson Airplane- White Rabbit
3- ABBA- Winner takes it all
4- Who- Summertime Blues
5- Steppenwolf- Born to be Wild

Really hard to do as my age ascends many generations

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hmmm, well I'm gonna take this as top (best), based on talent, staying power, hits, social impact. (My top 5 favorites would probably be different.)

1. Beatles (obviously) - so many probably Hey Jude (my favorite would probably be Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da)
2. Stones - Sympathy For The Devil
3. Eagles - Hotel California
Hmmm, now it's tougher
4. U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name
5. The Tragically Hip - Ahead By A Century (my favorite would probably be Courage)

Went with bands. If you go with individual artists you gotta think about Dylan, Elvis, Madonna, MJ too.

Reaction Score
FWIW, my contributions are in no particular order and ask me tomorrow and it would very likely be 5 different offerings from 5 different artists/bands; the beauty of music.

I know this tangents off Scud49‘s thread intent but what the heck; this cover of AC/DC by the German Oompah band The Heimatdamisch is a perfect example to me of the diverse beauty of music.

Reaction Score
Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
Mike Oldfield - Five Miles Out
Alan Parsons Project - Lucifer
Metallica - Wherever I May Roam
Lindsey Buckingham (solo) - Love Runs Deeper

Reaction Score
Oh, geez. Top five can mean two different things to me: 5 best or 5 favorite. 5 best will be easier for me and better for the board, because I don't think you can be one of the "best" without both having at least some popularity and staying power, so that list would skew older and more popular than 5 favorites. The Moody Blues would be on both.

Moody Blues
Renaissance
Yes
Beatles
Miles Davis

Here's one from the Moodies that doesn't get as much press as some of theirs:

nice call for Miles

Reaction Score
Beatles have to be the #1 group for me. Trying to pick one tune is hard, real hard. But I'll go with one off the "Revolver" album which is just amazing. This one is "I'm Only Sleeping':

Revolver is one of the greatest albums ever made. Rolling Stone Magazine has it as #11 but I think that's off the mark. It was revolutionary. It was the first studio album for the Beatles and they used sounds, recording devices, and instruments they could never duplicate live on stage. My favorite from that album is "Eleanor Rigby". It's a moving, deep, and haunting song and the strings are just piercing. My favorite lines from that song- "Lives in a dream, Waits at the window, wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door. Who is it for?"

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Literally impossible to list five. But I will do it anyway because of the thread title. But so many omissions.

. . .

(Teena Marie "If I were a bell")
Well, since I listed Miles as one of my top five (best) and I haven't posted anything by him yet, here's one of his classics. This recording was one of those times when Miles kind of revolutionized music.

Reaction Score
Revolver is one of the greatest albums ever made. Rolling Stone Magazine has it as #11 but I think that's off the mark. It was revolutionary. It was the first studio album for the Beatles and they used sounds, recording devices, and instruments they could never duplicate live on stage. My favorite from that album is "Eleanor Rigby". It's a moving, deep, and haunting song and the strings are just piercing. My favorite lines from that song- "Lives in a dream, Waits at the window, wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door. Who is it for?"

Yea, Rolling Stone for years had it ranked #1- and I certainly agreed with that. They re-did that ranking a few years ago- needless to say I didn't agree with it. As I recall, they had 4 Beatles albums in their top 15 or so, not sure where they all are at now. I'd have to say Revolver is my fav Beatles album, followed closely by Rubber Soul and A Hard Days Night. Just a mind boggling catalog of work, and it was all accomplished within about a 5 year period to boot.

Agree on the lyrics for Eleanor Rigby- like so many of their songs, the lyrics are highly insightful, astute, very meaningful, and clever. And yet, they could go and knock it out of the park with essentially a great children's song like "Yellow Submarine"...! Just beyond belief. Thats why they are my #1 favorite group of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom