Like I was saying... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Like I was saying...

Reaction Score
UConn currently has the #18 recruiting class for next year. And while Ollie couldn't develop players, we always ranked highly in recruiting and getting top 100 talent. Being in the Big East would have little (and most likely, no) impact on recruiting. If any recruit is making the school's conference affiliation a priority, then they are going ACC, SEC, BIG 10 or BIG 12. Being in the BE vs AAC isn't going to make an impact in a recruit like that.
When does the big east aac challenge start? That would be big boost. Cmon aresco.

Reaction Score
Name me one school with a big-time athletic department whose sport-specific fans not only hate fans of other sports, but are proud of it.

If any of the other schools left a great basketball conference for a different conference to prop up our lousy football program, those sport specific fans would be going nuts too.

Reaction Score
As long as the Big East tournament has this atmosphere, it isn’t going anywhere. It is worth protecting and nurturing.

I love football but good God, I wish we were playing in the Big East for basketball. The Big East will never lose power status. It’s just too entertaining.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If any of the other schools left a great basketball conference for a different conference to prop up our lousy football program, those sport specific fans would be going nuts too.
There’s the problem. You don’t even know what you’re talking about. UConn didn’t “leave” anywhere. The Catholics left and purchased the name.

Reaction Score
Oh, so we should only cater to bandwagoners for just one program such as yourself instead of the greater good, such as a P5 conference?

Like I said, it's dumber to be illogical.
I know this will shock you but I am a UConn football fan.

Reaction Score
I know this will shock you but I am a UConn football fan.
This might shock you but I am a UConn alum with bachelor of science in business administration. You are aware that the AAC has more revenue potential, which is beginning to show, as well as schools that are more prominent in their locales?

We should drop all that just for UConn men's basketball having almost as distant road trips and schools with less clout in their states. To look pretty on TV in MSG.

Reaction Score
This might shock you but I am a UConn alum with bachelor of science in business administration. You are aware that the AAC has more revenue potential, which is beginning to show, as well as schools that are more prominent in their locales?

We should drop all that just for UConn men's basketball having almost as distant road trips and schools with less clout in their states. To look pretty on TV in MSG.

Congrats you went to UConn. You want a medal? Does that make you a bigger UConn fan than me?

Reaction Score
Congrats you went to UConn. You want a medal? Does that make you a bigger UConn fan than me?
I don't even care for fandom. Am getting tired of it. The degree suffices.

Apart from that, you are being completely illogical.

Reaction Score
I don't even care for fandom. Am getting tired of it. The degree suffices.

Apart from that, you are being completely illogical.
So let me get this right. Just because you have a "bachelor of science in business administration" from UConn makes you more knowledgeable when it comes to conference realignment than me?

Reaction Score
So let me get this right. Just because you have a "bachelor of science in business administration" from UConn makes you more knowledgeable when it comes to conference realignment than me?
You ever hear of the terms "business" and "growth"?

UConn being a basketball school is not part of its strategy going forward. They want a complete athletic department, so that they can fit with schools the administration now considers peers, such as Big Ten schools. Why? To grow the school even more. You really this dense? We've been aligning with globally powerful large schools, such as schools in an organization called Universitas 21. Not freaking Jesuit colleges. For the sake of things other than athletics.

If you think UConn exists to just play basketball, maybe you should be amongst the first to go to Mars.

Reaction Score
I traveled. I'm still here actually. Surprised not more uconn fans don't make the trip. It's a nice road trip and Memphis is a much better place to hold the tournament than Hartford. So much more to see and do, it's warmer down here, the people are extremely welcoming (nothing better than southern hospitality) and the food is better. After being down here it hit me how much Hartford sucks. There is literally nothing to do there. Outside of uconn basketball CT sucks in general.

A nice road trip from where? There is no chance I would ever drive 18 hours to watch the AAC Tournament.

Reaction Score
Memphis isn’t too great. Neither is Nashville and people would have you believe Nashville is the greatest city on earth these days. Regardless, Nashville is light years better than Memphis.

Pretty much, all Hartford needs to do is designate an alley way or three as night life areas and tell the cops and proprietors to be real lax on underage drinking. Within weeks, Hartford would be hopping. Hartford already smells a lot better than Memphis and Nashville on a hot summer day. The stink coming out of the sewers in TN cities is ripe.

Reaction Score
You ever hear of the terms "business" and "growth"?

UConn being a basketball school is not part of its strategy going forward. They want a complete athletic department, so that they can fit with schools the administration now considers peers, such as Big Ten schools. Why? To grow the school even more. You really this dense? We've been aligning with globally powerful large schools, such as schools in an organization called Universitas 21. Not freaking Jesuit colleges. For the sake of things other than athletics.

If you think UConn exists to just play basketball, maybe you should be amongst the first to go to Mars.

That's great and all. But this school is only what it is because of men's and women's basketball. I don't think many on this board care about what UConn is doing academically. Fans on this board care about winning and playing the best level we can. Only people like yourself who went to UConn will care about academics

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Just stop. If we could play in Big East for hoops and park football in the AAC we would.

We can't.

Val Ackerman made it pretty clear in an interview last season that the NBE doesn't want any schools playing FBS football.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
A nice road trip from where? There is no chance I would ever drive 18 hours to watch the AAC Tournament.

And that is exactly the attitude of fans in this conference that is going to keep it from ever getting any better. We as UConn fans need to get off our damn high horse and look at what is happening right now! We have never won a regular season title in this conference and yet we have the audacity to say things like, " I wouldn't drive 18 hours to watch the AAC tournament" as if the AAC is below us... give me a break. How will we get better with that type of attitude? If the fans don't care why should the players care?

Reaction Score
Since the split the American tournament has had better TV ratings then the NBET. Last year the NBET had their best ratings since the split and they were still 7th in TV ratings for conference tournaments. I realize a lot of the poor ratings is due to being relegated to FS1. But last year the final was on FOX.

The Big East final ranked just seventh among conference championship games, trailing the ACC (2.0, 3.4M), Big Ten (2.0, 3.2M), Big 12 (1.7, 2.9M), SEC (1.5, 2.6M), American Athletic (1.4, 2.1M) and — head-to-head — the Mountain West (1.0, 1.6M). It did beat the Pac-12 Tournament final on FS1, which had a mere 0.35 and 612,000.

Source

Reaction Score
And that is exactly the attitude of fans in this conference that is going to keep it from ever getting any better. We as UConn fans need to get off our damn high horse and look at what is happening right now! We have never won a regular season title in this conference and yet we have the audacity to say things like, " I wouldn't drive 18 hours to watch the AAC tournament" as if the AAC is below us... give me a break. How will we get better with that type of attitude? If the fans don't care why should the players care?
If this team was in the quarter finals at MSG this week, UConn would have a good showing of fans. Even if we get good in the American, you can’t expect fans to travel all the way to Memphis for possibly 1 game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom