Like I was saying... | The Boneyard

Like I was saying...

Reaction Score
The huge difference between the Big East vs AAC is the conference tournament. How many fans were in the building for our game today? 2,000? And how many UConn fans traveled to Memphis for the tournament? 300??

Reaction Score
The huge difference between the Big East vs AAC is the conference tournament. How many fans were in the building for our game today? 2,000? And how many UConn fans traveled to Memphis for the tournament? 300??
Maybe 300 if we count the band. I traveled down in 2014. Was no juice in the building and UConn fans traveled pretty well that time.

Reaction Score
Not this year. And probably not next year with the way Memphis, Wichita St. and UConn are trending.
AAC will have just as many NCAA bids this season, if not more, I believe.
Big East=better basketball tradition
AAC= Might have a better basketball future tbh.
Can't compare the two based off of one season. If you broke down the AAC and the Big East since 2013-2014 season. The Big East is so much better.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Not sure how or why joining the BE would help UConn at this point. Its clear we can still get a top level recruiting class in our current conference affiliation. The schools in the American are not traditional basketball schools like the BE, but I believe the AAC schools have a lot more going for them from a growth perspective. AAC has a bunch of large state schools, which means large fan bases and alumni to continue to draw support from. Not to mention that large public schools have more financial support than small private schools (and also the AAC now has a better media deal to draw from).

The old catholic schools in the BE sure do have a loyal following, but how many kids we are going after even rememberers the "golden days" of the old BE, let alone even the BE from before realignment started?

While joining the BE would be nostalgic for the fans (and probably sell more tickets), I'll take where the AAC is headed over the BE all day.

Reaction Score
Win many more games and conferences will come calling. This does include our football program. No one wants a loser, regardless of pedigree.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Attendance/donations would jump, more games at MSG, help recruiting....

The only thing that is objectively true is the fact that we'd be playing more games at MSG assuming we kept the Cuse game and made deep runs into the BE tourney. The rest of those things are maybe... we've already talked at length that CT fans are fare weather fans. If we were good in the AAC we'd have the same or better attendance numbers. Not to mention the Big East schools have rather bad TV contract. There is no value in being a basketball only school right now people like you need to understand that. Read about the economics of college sports, basketball doesn't drive that bus for most schools.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Can't compare the two based off of one season. If you broke down the AAC and the Big East since 2013-2014 season. The Big East is so much better.
I care more about the future than the past.
Dropping football to move to a marginally better/comparable basketball conference is not good for our long term viability.
I was concerned about the AAC as a basketball conference a couple years ago. Although it will never be anything close to the OBE, it is turning into a very nice basketball conference. We have 7 or 8 legit programs.

If we could move to the Big East for geography/rivalry/tradition and keep football in the AAC, I'm with you. But right now, unfortunately our best bet is the AAC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom