Like I was saying... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Like I was saying...

Reaction Score
I'm convinced if the current Big East had changed the conference named to something like "the Catholic bois + scraps" or something equally scintillating instead of continuing to use the BE name we wouldn't be subject to so many of these idiotic threads.

The old Big East is dead. The new Big East is on par basketball wise with the AAC right now. We're nowhere near good enough to contend in either. Let it go.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
So park football elsewhere. CT doesn't care about college football

If that's the strategy, then just get rid of football. NBE ain't going for it. And the 'new' football conference wouldn't either.

Wait for an olive branch. If it doesn't come, reevaluate the whole thing.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but it's about going forward. Not looking back. Past performance gets you nothing.
Ok looking at this year. Big East and the AAC are projected the same amount of bids (4) according to ESPN.

This is considered one of the best years for the AAC and one of the weaker years for the Big East.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
What does the Big East have to do with any of this? The American is better this year, and I expect the AAC to continue to climb the ladder

We need to be part of the solution, we started strong but we've faltered. That's going to change

Reaction Score
What does the Big East have to do with any of this? The American is better this year, and I expect the AAC to continue to climb the ladder

We need to be part of the solution, we started strong but we've faltered. That's going to change
That’s TBD

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Ok looking at this year. Big East and the AAC are projected the same amount of bids (4) according to ESPN.

This is considered one of the best years for the AAC and one of the weaker years for the Big East.

Actually, going into this year, it was damn near universally accepted that this was setting up to be a down year, with a weak AAC field. They outperformed.

Next year projects to be even better for a lot of these schools.

Reaction Score
I agree. I think we hired the right guy to bring us back from the dead. Im hoping it takes another 30 years before we are even close to finishing under .500 again.

Reaction Score
I'm convinced if the current Big East had changed the conference named to something like "the Catholic bois + scraps" or something equally scintillating instead of continuing to use the BE name we wouldn't be subject to so many of these idiotic threads.

The old Big East is dead. The new Big East is on par basketball wise with the AAC right now. We're nowhere near good enough to contend in either. Let it go.

Its a better basketball conference than ours, Let's just look at the facts

Teams winning the National Title:
BE: 2
AAC: 1

Teams in the Final Four:

Teams in the Elite Eight:
BE: 3

Teams in the Sweet 16
BE: 5

Total Conference Bids:
BE: 28
AAC: 15

Reaction Score

Spot on. They can't separate the past from the present.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Teams in the Final Four:

Teams in the Sweet 16

Total Conference Bids:

They've been better in recent history, but most of that BE success is the result of one team.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think you'll note any AAC success is by UConn.

If you are talking the one Championship, then yes. But outside of that, none of it is.

Removing the two championship teams, and it's not much to get excited about either way. They've been better, but nothing to write home about.

Reaction Score

Teams in the Final Four:

Teams in the Sweet 16

Total Conference Bids:
So Villanova has been more successful than UCONN lately ... got it

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah we should drop our football program and go to a worse basketball conference so we'd have a better shot to win.
... but you will also get less money, so there's that. (BE will be about half the AAC deal which begins in 2020.)

Last edited:

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
We need to recruit in hoop like St Mary’s.

Reaction Score
...UConn needs to join the Big East.

I agree. Not because of the conference because the AAC is trending up and doing a good job of building. However, we have no rivalries in this conference nor we create any because UCONN's rivals are already established in the collective psyche of fans. Allowing the Catholic schools to take the BIG East name was a HUGE mistake.

We play in front of mostly empty arenas and a conference tournament that draws nobody.

Our former rivals are having the same issue as the Cuse have zero rivals in the ACC, and are getting clowned annually by Duke, UNC, and Virginia. Pitt has become a nobody. Louisville has similar issues in the ACC with no real rivals.

PS: Basketball is the future not football. Interest in football is declining among the youth.

PS: However, I think the AAC needs to be aggressively courting Gonzaga for basketball only and BYU for all sports. If Aresco can make that happen, I'd rather the AAC be our home, and it would be like creating a new BIG East once again. This would force ESPN and Fox to pay the AAC close to P5 levels.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom