Lexi Gordon | The Boneyard

Lexi Gordon

Reaction Score
For all the folks who said Lexi is going to be the surprise of this year freshman group, are you surprised that she has been getting only 1 min a game even in a big blow out like today. I wonder what she is telling her sister about the reality that is Uconn.

Reaction Score
For all the folks who said Lexi is going to be the surprise of this year freshman group, are you surprised that she has been getting only 1 min a game even in a big blow out like today. I wonder what she is telling her sister about the reality that is Uconn.

I was thinking like what kind of doghouse in practice do u have to be in to only get about 1 min per game even in big blowout games. This is why I originally stopped playing sports, u have to be able to maintain a positive attitude under circumstances like that, I on the other hand would have been like nope I don’t even want to get in the game now lol, 1 min like is that even enough to break a sweat, this is why I’m better at watching sports and not playing them lol I don’t have the attitude for it.

Reaction Score
We don't see practice so we can only speculate but atleast from watching her in the few min. She does get in the end of games it seems to me that she plays at HS pace so she's got some ways to go...it is the same for Coombs...from the freshmen only MW and AEH seem to be paying at a college speed. I would think that as far as talent goes, both Lexi and Coombs are more talented than Kyla and Bent but I guess so far they don't prove them-self at practice

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
She was sent to the scorer's table with well over 2 minutes to go. There simply wasn't a break to let her into the game.

But yeah, that's still not much time.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

John Wooden said "The bench is an excellent teacher". The bench will make you or break you, depending on your resolve, attitude and how committed you are to the program. It ran Sadie Edwards (not picking on her) out of town. She's been a starter for the So Cal Trojans since she became eligible. This year she's their leading scorer. Players transfer to other teams for different reasons, the least of which is for more playing time.

Think about it. Players that stick it out and work harder to get off the bench sooner are the players Geno likes. Those that won't and transfer, weren't going to play, and are better off leaving the team to go else where.

Last edited by a moderator:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Geno seems pretty methodical about only giving as much playing time as a player earns in practice. This is how he upholds the program's standards.

I can only assume that she's not getting more playing time because her effort or execution in practice is lacking in the eyes of the coaching staff.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Geno has had little to say about Gordon, but I do recall him saying the following (more or less) about each freshmen:
  1. Walker - she's going to be really really good
  2. Hunter - working hard in practice
  3. Coombs - has all the tools but lacks confidence
  4. Gordon - is out of shape
I have to question how Gordon is the only player he's called out for being "out of shape". All the freshmen showed up on campus early. They had plenty of time to practice on their own with the players ahead of them and also had plenty of time to exercise, work out, eat healthy, and start getting on the "UCONN regime" of fitness.

Some of the freshmen obviously showed up in better shape than others (Walker and Coombs especially), but to have the coach call you out specifically for "not being in shape" probably sums up why she's not playing. She didn't work hard over the summer to START getting into UCONN shape, and thus far in practices, she's (apparently) done little to earn PT in the eyes of her coach.

Having said that, some freshmen take longer than others to "get it". Lexi may be on the "longer" side of getting what it takes to be a UCONN basketball player. I have hope for all the freshmen, but right now, only Walker and AEH are earning significant PT... Gordon got 1 minute and Coombs got about 4 today... I know they can get there, but PT is all earned in practice...

Reaction Score
I do feel badly for Lexi..........................I remember how excited we all were when UConn snared another Texas recruit away from the local powers and how proud she was to take on the challenge that is UConn basketball.........................hang in there kid!!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Geno has had little to say about Gordon, but I do recall him saying the following (more or less) about each freshmen:
I have to question how Gordon is the only player he's called out for being "out of shape". All the freshmen showed up on campus early. They had plenty of time to practice on their own with the players ahead of them and also had plenty of time to exercise, work out, eat healthy, and start getting on the "UCONN regime" of fitness.

Some of the freshmen obviously showed up in better shape than others (Walker and Coombs especially), but to have the coach call you out specifically for "not being in shape" probably sums up why she's not playing. She didn't work hard over the summer to START getting into UCONN shape, and thus far in practices, she's (apparently) done little to earn PT in the eyes of her coach.

Having said that, some freshmen take longer than others to "get it". Lexi may be on the "longer" side of getting what it takes to be a UCONN basketball player. I have hope for all the freshmen, but right now, only Walker and AEH are earning significant PT... Gordon got 1 minute and Coombs got about 4 today... I know they can get there, but PT is all earned in practice...
A failure to be in shape, unless it's due to some injury situation, is concerning because it lies at the most fundamental level of effort.

I hope that she finds it in her soon to rise up to the level of those around her.

Reaction Score

I don't remember Geno saying specifically that she was "out of shape." What I remember him saying was that she "couldn't keep up." Although many here interpreted that as "out of shape," I thought he meant something along the lines of not yet being able to keep up with the pace of UConn's game mentally - and possibly physically too, but not for lack of effort. He said they could slow down for her, but that's not gonna happen. I don't know any more than anyone else - just what I thought I heard, and what I thought it meant.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Agreed Eric. We're only 5 games in. Let's give the freshmen more time to adjust, fit in and "get it". Remember, It took Moriah and Crystal the entire season to get it. I can vividly recall Dangerous having that "deer in the headlights" look on many occasions throughout the season.

At the risk of being redundant, I remind everyone what Geno says every year: (I'm paraphrasing) It takes freshmen at least a year to figure out how to play at this level, and execute in our system. These freshmen still have at least 32 more games and 3 more months to figure it out. Remember, Rome was not built in a day. The operative word here is patience.

Reaction Score

You really do love to focus on the negatives of minutes played, don't you? That's okay! I'm not slamming you for that - not even close. Please don't misunderstand. If that is what you love to talk about-- great. Great. And in the past - among other things about your opinion on bench minutes-- wasn't it you that has argued a lot why players would come to UCONN if they are just to sit on the bench for a lot of time?

So - while UCONN is tearing apart opponents and slaughtering teams even without Lou or Camara yet you're wondering what Lexi and her family are thinking after 5 games?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I don't remember Geno saying specifically that she was "out of shape." What I remember him saying was that she "couldn't keep up." Although many here interpreted that as "out of shape," I thought he meant something along the lines of not yet being able to keep up with the pace of UConn's game mentally - and possibly physically too, but not for lack of effort. He said they could slow down for her, but that's not gonna happen. I don't know any more than anyone else - just what I thought I heard, and what I thought it meant.
That's my recollection as well.

Coming in, Lexi was the one I was most worried about. My perception was that she hadn't played the same level of competition as the others. Also, a credible poster wrote last summer that she had good basketball skills but lacked quickness (or some such).

Nonetheless, I'll be rooting for her.

Reaction Score
Lexi from the few video clips of her talking seems a little overwhelmed. That usually translates into a player feeling everything is moving a 100mph which they are having trouble adjusting to.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I do feel badly for Lexi......I remember how excited we all were when UConn snared another Texas recruit away from the local powers and how proud she was to take on the challenge that is UConn basketball.....hang in there kid!!

That which does not kill you makes you stronger ~ Someone famous once said that. Things happen for a reason. I'm not worried about Lexie yet. If Lexie is in fact having trouble attaining the level of physical conditioning Geno deems acceptable, and she's the gamer the staff thinks she is, she will work hard all summer, and come back in the fall in shape and ready for all the trials and challenges of the season in front of her.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
That which does not kill you makes you stronger ~ Someone famous once said that. Things happen for a reason. I'm not worried about Lexie yet. If Lexie is in fact having trouble getting into the level of physical conditioning he deems acceptable, and she's the gamer Geno and staff thinks she is, she will work hard all summer, and come back in the fall in shape and ready for all the trials and challenges of the season in front of her.
I was one of the first to note that when Geno said Lexi was lagging behind he meant lack of conditioning. I took a little flak for saying it at the time, but it remains the truth. One of my favorite quotes is from Blake who said, "The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom". I thought Lexi had a strong will when she came to Storrs and I still do. Her road of excess is now over. She now traverses toward that grand palace. She'll get there and will be a major contributor down the road.

Reaction Score
I was one of the first to note that when Geno said Lexi was lagging behind he meant lack of conditioning. I took a little flak for saying it at the time, but it remains the truth.

The article I saw said: "Auriemma said Gordon is smart and she makes shots, but she can’t keep up with the pace." Keeping up with the much faster pace of the college game can mean something very different than lack of conditioning.

Reaction Score
She's telling Sis--find another team.
I finally got to see number 4 and 34 play today. 4 did ok---2 apparently has more of Geno's eye closer to Megan Walker. Yes I know the names--if you don't hmm? I'm still wondering what is the story with 34.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The article I saw said: "Auriemma said Gordon is smart and she makes shots, but she can’t keep up with the pace." Keeping up with the much faster pace of the college game can mean something very different than lack of conditioning.
The problem is most if not all freshman have a problem with keeping up with the pace. To me that's a given. To me I'd always felt, and Lexi's interviews seemed to confirm it, it meant conditioning.

Reaction Score
That's my recollection as well.

Coming in, Lexi was the one I was most worried about. My perception was that she hadn't played the same level of competition as the others. Also, a credible poster wrote last summer that she had good basketball skills but lacked quickness (or some such).

Nonetheless, I'll be rooting for her.
Not sure its quickness as much as having to think too much. Also, we also forget that there is more to frosh year than just basketball-classes, snow, new friends, etc. Don't know why but predict Lexi will get it together and excel, potentially next year. With the two grads, she should get enough minutes to regain her confidence.

Reaction Score

Gordon had to re-take her conditioning test multiple times before she passed. Failing to be in "good shape", something that takes just hard work and ZERO talent, is not something that Coach Auriemma is going to be too happy about.

Reaction Score
as I remember KML wasn't the swiftest end to end player in collegiate basketball.............smarts and a good shot can sometimes make up for other deficiencies................

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom