Level-Headed Analysis - Stadium | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Level-Headed Analysis - Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We all know UConn will always play games in the Hartford area, basketball and football. A new football stadium will not be built in Storrs by taxpayer money. I think we all know this no matter which side of the table you are on.

Personally, I could care less as Hartford and Storrs are about equidistant for me. I do think the only logical solution is to improve the transportation to and from Hartford to Storrs, which benefits football and basketball. Whether you do this by finishing 384, or continuing the fast track buses, building commuter rail (which I think should be done alongside all highways). Improving the transportation makes trips both ways faster and easier for students and fans, while possibly also making Storrs an easier destination for visa which could bring additional money to the community.

Just my two cents. Either way - Go Huskies & pack the Rent!

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I’d put in the necessary money to fix the concrete, rust, etc, and once we make a P5 just expand to 50,000 as it is designed to do

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
using my computer:
Stamford to the Rent:
1 hr 17 min (77.9 mi) via I-95 N and CT-15 N

Stamford to UConn Storrs
1 hr 38 min (100.1 mi) via CT-15 N

Is the time difference that much?

I’m going to preface my post with a few comments:
  • I’ve had season tickets to the Rent since it opened and have missed very few games over the years. If they were to put a Stadium on campus I personally would attend those games without question or complaint about location but that may not translate to the entire fan base.
  • While I fall into the category of one who views posted speed limits more as suggestions than out and out rules, I have often been on I-91 between New Haven and Hartford, felt I was driving too slowly (in comparison to the cars passing me) only to look at the speedometer and see I was moving ~75mph-85mph.
  • With the exception of a few years in the mid 1990’s my permanent residence has always been in Stamford, I currently live close to the Parkway and prior to that had lived close to I-95.
There have been a few instances (primarily when we’ve had ~15k attendance) when I’ve gotten to the Rent in an hour and maybe ten minutes. Hopefully those days are over (attendance wise) but even with a full house (we have had those in the past) if the plan is to arrive with sufficient time to tailgate, the worst case scenario would be an hour and a half. Having attended plenty of men’s basketball games at Gampel over the past nearly three and a half decades, where likely a third of the vehicles that would travel to a football game would be going to Gampel, there is no way in hell that the time difference would be only twenty minutes. With the current infrastructure, an additional hour each way would be a very conservative estimate. Hell, going to a men’s basketball game on a weekend (weekday games are no longer feasible for me unless I’m willing to take two vacation days; game day & day after) for the privilege (at a time of year when days off are never a good idea in my field) it requires an additional hour each way due to traffic approaching the campus, again with likely one third the amount of vehicles approaching the school.

When the perceived support of the program over the first few years after the announcement that we were moving up to (then called) division 1-A football there couldn’t have been a better location than the Rent. Prior to the last half of the last season at Memorial it didn’t appear likely that we could put a presentable product on the field for years, if ever, so that we were able to fill (or almost fill) the Rent from day one was a monumental accomplishment. I am fully aware of the stories of the last few miles approaching Beaver Stadium (Penn St) along with the similar traffic jams that fans of other major college football programs endure. At the time the Rent opened (twenty years ago), with the size of our then dedicated fan base, we would have been lucky to break 10k in attendance if the Rent didn’t have the central location and convenience of highways approaching the stadium (more than sufficient tailgating space surrounding the stadium was an added bonus, people should see what some fan bases need to deal with when it comes to this).

We can add that the sightlines are incredible in comparison to may classic (older) stadiums and unlike some, we haven’t had expansions that included decreasing ‘seat size’ in bleachers from 12” to 10” to 8” to 7” to 6” (yes, there are a handful of stadiums where if you have a bleacher type seat with your season tickets you will be required to stand basically sideways if there is full attendance in your section).

The ‘difficulties’ that many fan bases have been willing to endure as part of the ‘traditional’ on campus, college football game day experience are among things that would have limited our (then) neophyte fan base tremendously as it would have alienated two thirds of them. If we reach the point where our attendance is consistent enough that we can believe the entirety would have zero problem relocating to Storrs, then the idea of an on campus stadium would make a ton of sense. Until then, we will be fine at the Rent.

Reaction Score
We all know UConn will always play games in the Hartford area, basketball and football. A new football stadium will not be built in Storrs by taxpayer money. I think we all know this no matter which side of the table you are on.

Personally, I could care less as Hartford and Storrs are about equidistant for me. I do think the only logical solution is to improve the transportation to and from Hartford to Storrs, which benefits football and basketball. Whether you do this by finishing 384, or continuing the fast track buses, building commuter rail (which I think should be done alongside all highways). Improving the transportation makes trips both ways faster and easier for students and fans, while possibly also making Storrs an easier destination for visa which could bring additional money to the community.

Just my two cents. Either way - Go Huskies & pack the Rent!
Why not??? Aren’t tax payers by and large paying for running the University system now? Aren’t they paying for Mora, Hurley and Geno’s salaries now? Recruiting trips, plane tickets, and god knows what? The state IS wasting taxpayer money IF they don’t build an on campus stadium, it’s money well spent. Besides a lot of money generated for an on campus stadium would be generated from wealthy benefactors and alumni. Do you know how many billionaires graduated from or have ties to UConn?

Reaction Score
UConn’s main campus in Storrs and the surrounding area houses almost 20,000 students. Build a new 40,000+ on campus stadium and they will come. Planning for parking and tailgating for both students and non-student fans is critical though. The overriding reason for an on campus stadium is to improve the football team, make the coaches job easier in recruiting (for all sports), and helps in getting UConn a P5 invite. The Rent doesn’t have to die either, maybe have one home game at the Rent. The state could also use it for concerts, home games for Central, the high school state playoffs, other sports, etc.
I agree with all of this. I'd enjoy an on-campus stadium, it's just not something I'm desperate for. That being said, if it's going to happen in a decade, planning would need to start now.

Reaction Score
I’m going to preface my post with a few comments:
  • I’ve had season tickets to the Rent since it opened and have missed very few games over the years. If they were to put a Stadium on campus I personally would attend those games without question or complaint about location but that may not translate to the entire fan base.
  • While I fall into the category of one who views posted speed limits more as suggestions than out and out rules, I have often been on I-91 between New Haven and Hartford, felt I was driving too slowly (in comparison to the cars passing me) only to look at the speedometer and see I was moving ~75mph-85mph.
  • With the exception of a few years in the mid 1990’s my permanent residence has always been in Stamford, I currently live close to the Parkway and prior to that had lived close to I-95.
There have been a few instances (primarily when we’ve had ~15k attendance) when I’ve gotten to the Rent in an hour and maybe ten minutes. Hopefully those days are over (attendance wise) but even with a full house (we have had those in the past) if the plan is to arrive with sufficient time to tailgate, the worst case scenario would be an hour and a half. Having attended plenty of men’s basketball games at Gampel over the past nearly three and a half decades, where likely a third of the vehicles that would travel to a football game would be going to Gampel, there is no way in hell that the time difference would be only twenty minutes. With the current infrastructure, an additional hour each way would be a very conservative estimate. Hell, going to a men’s basketball game on a weekend (weekday games are no longer feasible for me unless I’m willing to take two vacation days; game day & day after) for the privilege (at a time of year when days off are never a good idea in my field) it requires an additional hour each way due to traffic approaching the campus, again with likely one third the amount of vehicles approaching the school.

When the perceived support of the program over the first few years after the announcement that we were moving up to (then called) division 1-A football there couldn’t have been a better location than the Rent. Prior to the last half of the last season at Memorial it didn’t appear likely that we could put a presentable product on the field for years, if ever, so that we were able to fill (or almost fill) the Rent from day one was a monumental accomplishment. I am fully aware of the stories of the last few miles approaching Beaver Stadium (Penn St) along with the similar traffic jams that fans of other major college football programs endure. At the time the Rent opened (twenty years ago), with the size of our then dedicated fan base, we would have been lucky to break 10k in attendance if the Rent didn’t have the central location and convenience of highways approaching the stadium (more than sufficient tailgating space surrounding the stadium was an added bonus, people should see what some fan bases need to deal with when it comes to this).

We can add that the sightlines are incredible in comparison to may classic (older) stadiums and unlike some, we haven’t had expansions that included decreasing ‘seat size’ in bleachers from 12” to 10” to 8” to 7” to 6” (yes, there are a handful of stadiums where if you have a bleacher type seat with your season tickets you will be required to stand basically sideways if there is full attendance in your section).

The ‘difficulties’ that many fan bases have been willing to endure as part of the ‘traditional’ on campus, college football game day experience are among things that would have limited our (then) neophyte fan base tremendously as it would have alienated two thirds of them. If we reach the point where our attendance is consistent enough that we can believe the entirety would have zero problem relocating to Storrs, then the idea of an on campus stadium would make a ton of sense. Until then, we will be fine at the Rent.
Did you ever stop to think that a prospective recruit might read your post and it might help him to make up his mind against playing for Jim Mora at the Rent and commit instead to Rutgers or Syracuse? I might add Rutgers has a beautiful 55,000 seat on campus stadium, and if you still think The B1G invited them because of tv eyeballs only, think again. My goodness, did the New Jersey taxpayers pay for it????

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Connecticut and New England are different than the rest of the U.S. The Patriots are about 25 miles from Boston and the Huskies are about 20 miles from Storrs. Both are fine where they are. If that freaks people out in Atlanta or Chicago, so be it. Visiting teams should be happy East Hartford is closer to the airport than Storrs.

Reaction Score
I’d put in the necessary money to fix the concrete, rust, etc, and once we make a P5 just expand to 50,000 as it is designed to do
You can’t just fix concrete and rust. There have to be visible improvements for fans and taxpayers to see—such as completing the ribbon scoreboard the entire way around the stadium—perfecting the sound system, etc.

Reaction Score
Connecticut and New England are different than the rest of the U.S. The Patriots are about 25 miles from Boston and the Huskies are about 20 miles from Storrs. Both are fine where they are. If that freaks people out in Atlanta or Chicago, so be it. Visiting teams should be happy East Hartford is closer to the airport than Storrs.
If every player and coach on the Patriots were working to get their degree at Boston College and they played their games 25 miles away in Foxboro, do you think there might be an issue? Or more realistically what if the Boston College BOT voted to tear down Alumni Stadium because it was too expensive to maintain, but the BOT signed a long term agreement with the Patriots to play on Saturday in Foxboro. Do you think the fans, students and alumni would like that?

Reaction Score
It had Rolling Stones and Springsteen concerts in its early years. The neighbors were not amused. It is used for Christmas lights and a brew fest.

Columbus also only 800,000 or so more people than Hartford
Area of Columbus is > 226 sq miles. Area of Hartford < 18 sq miles.

Columbus is 32nd in DMA, Hartford is 34th. Add New Haven to Hartford and it’s 30th.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
If every player and coach on the Patriots were working to get their degree at Boston College and they played their games 25 miles away in Foxboro, do you think there might be an issue? Or more realistically what if the Boston College BOT voted to tear down Alumni Stadium because it was too expensive to maintain, but the BOT signed a long term agreement with the Patriots to play on Saturday in Foxboro. Do you think the fans, students and alumni would like that?
You want a campus stadium? Ok, go for it. Let’s see how far you get.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Did you ever stop to think that a prospective recruit might read your post and it might help him to make up his mind against playing for Jim Mora at the Rent and commit instead to Rutgers or Syracuse? I might add Rutgers has a beautiful 55,000 seat on campus stadium, and if you still think The B1G invited them because of tv eyeballs only, think again. My goodness, did the New Jersey taxpayers pay for it????
WTF are you talking about?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
They were invited because of the NYC market and recruiting grounds, that is it

Reaction Score
using my computer:
Stamford to the Rent:
1 hr 17 min (77.9 mi) via I-95 N and CT-15 N

Stamford to UConn Storrs
1 hr 38 min (100.1 mi) via CT-15 N

Is the time difference that much?
What day of week and what time of day did you check your mileage/time to Storrs. Not sure 1 hr 38 mins would be accurate withh 40,000 fans going to Storrs

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Your computer needs to be re-calibrated. Only 21 minutes from Rent to Storrs?
Took me 30 minutes to go from Bolton to Storrs on 44 for a WBB game.

Reaction Score
What I find funny is that the same people who say the stadium needs to be on campus because it is too far off campus, also are making the argument that it is a short drive from East Hartford to Storrs. Whatever fits your argument at the time.

Reaction Score
They were invited because of the NYC market and recruiting grounds, that is it
You’re saying Rutgers was invited by the B1G because the B1G wanted Rutgers to recruit better in the NYC market and that is it? Gee I guess you’re on to something.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
You’re saying Rutgers was invited by the B1G because the B1G wanted Rutgers to recruit better in the NYC market and that is it? Gee I guess you’re on to something.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Calm down sparky just saying

Reaction Score
What day of week and what time of day did you check your mileage/time to Storrs. Not sure 1 hr 38 mins would be accurate withh 40,000 fans going to Storrs
40,000 fans with 40,000 paid for tickets converging on Storrs??? Are you sure about that? Wouldn’t around half the people going to the game already be there, or in the general area?

Reaction Score
What I find funny is that the same people who say the stadium needs to be on campus because it is too far off campus, also are making the argument that it is a short drive from East Hartford to Storrs. Whatever fits your argument at the time.
Lol…..I think a lot of the same people who say the stadium needs to be on campus could care less if the drive from East Hartford to Storrs was long OR short, because they already live there.:rolleyes:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Coming from Danbury, I’d rather go to East Hartford than Storrs. Although I love the idea of an on campus stadium. I say spend a ton of money to upgrade the Rent.

Can't agree more with @Redding Husky

I feel like the same mason dixon line that separates Yankee and Sox fans across the state also represents our Hartford/Storrs issue here.

I get what UConn fans in the more Northern/Eastern parts of the state are saying. To you, everything should be in Storrs. And if I'm being honest, I totally agree with you.

But, that's not realistic. I'm in the Danbury area too and I am both a Football and Basketball season ticket holder. For MBB, only the XL games. I would love to get to every game in Gampel too but I just can't do it when most days I'm in the City for work and have to escape early just to get to my seats at XL or The Rent on time.

Bottom line is, you can say how easy it is to get to Storrs from South Western Connecticut when you live in Sox territory. But you have no clue what a commitment it takes in our neck of the woods. Hell, we don't even get CT cable channels in Fairfield County. NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC- all New York affiliates. When I turn on the news every morning to enjoy my first coffee, I don't see the same "local" news that those of you above maybe Oxford or so do.

Hartford games are imperative for both programs if you want to continue to nurture growth to the masses across all of our little state.

Last edited:

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Area of Columbus is > 226 sq miles. Area of Hartford < 18 sq miles.

Columbus is 32nd in DMA, Hartford is 34th. Add New Haven to Hartford and it’s 30th.

Hartford and New Haven are already in the same DMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom