Level-Headed Analysis - Stadium | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Level-Headed Analysis - Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
what about for most of the other games?
Been doing UConn football since the early 70's. The point is regardless of stadium location, when the team plays well attendance is good, even students. Surprise! The only time they drew fairly well at Memorial when they were not very good was when UMass came in nationally ranked. Surprise! UMass fans travelled for a drivable game! Kids used to hang on Freebie Hill and leave at halftime. Same with the students inside the stadium. Exception when Navy came into Storrs.

Reaction Score
College football should be played on a college campus. It's easier for the players, the students, and it brings Alumni back to campus 6 times during the late Summer and Fall to reconnect with their Alma Mater. I've been to many away college games and there is just a different (better) feeling when games are played on campus. I get that East Hartford is more convenient for many and the infrastructure to support the traffic is better but if other colleges across the country are able to figure out how to get around these issues 6 times a year, why can't UConn. Just imagine attending the Homecoming game on a crisp, Fall afternoon in Storrs.

Reaction Score
The nation has changed dramatically in 100 years as evidenced by the reduction in capacity at LA Memorial Coliseum by 16%.

Many people today seem to want the "experience" more than the game and are willing to pay for it.

Quote from a CBS Sports article about 2022 having the first increase in college football attendance in years:
"I think it's not the game that's more experiential," SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said. "It's the day and the weekend [that is] college football. There's always been a component of what happens around the game that's unique to college football."

So, can a New England school become like a Midwest or Southern school and attract a large number of fans to a more difficult venue to reach? Or is it more forward looking to update and make the Rent more luxurious with more food and drink options?

Full article here:College football attendance rose in 2022 with largest year-over-year increase since 1982

FBS attendance​

SeasonAttendanceChange
2014 44,603 -1,068
2015 43,933 -670
2016 43,612 -321
2017 42,203 -1,409
2018 41,856 -347
2019 41,477 -379
2021 39,848* -1,629
202241,840^+1,992
* Lowest since 1981
^ Highest since 2018

Reaction Score
Ideally the new stadium would be built next to the Burton Center to take advantage of facilities already on campus. Also include more offices and player amenities which are used every day. The Rent is a standalone facility used for UConn football 6 times a year. It is not worth making the stadium more than just a shell stadium. An on campus stadium is worth making the crown jewel of the campus. Other programs are going bigger and better with their stadiums and a stand alone stadium in East Hartford will never match them.

There’s no space next to burton for a football stadium

Reaction Score
College football should be played on a college campus. It's easier for the players, the students, and it brings Alumni back to campus 6 times during the late Summer and Fall to reconnect with their Alma Mater. I've been to many away college games and there is just a different (better) feeling when games are played on campus. I get that East Hartford is more convenient for many and the infrastructure to support the traffic is better but if other colleges across the country are able to figure out how to get around these issues 6 times a year, why can't UConn. Just imagine attending the Homecoming game on a crisp, Fall afternoon in Storrs.
Thanks Moe, no one has said it better.

Reaction Score
I doubt you want my opinion, but I will give you my opinion of UConn's stadium from the perspective of a 15 year resident who was not a fan.

Experience: Every Big12/SEC/AAC stadium in Texas except Houston's new stadium plus many of the best HS stadiums in Texas.

The Good:
  • The physical plant of the stadium is fine but for a little sprucing up from time to time. When the time comes, it looks like it could be expanded to Baylor/TCU size without much fuss.
  • I like the sight lines and seat options. No complai
  • Setting up the TV cameras to point at the home side (which looks full) was genius.
Grade: solid B+ to A-
It is an A+ soccer stadium.

The Bad (and the awful):
1) The grounds around the stadium are a complete train wreck from a fan's perspective. It "feels" like driving into a toxic waste dump even on sunny days. At a minimum, state needs to figure out how to make the site "not suck." It was the only awful part of going to a game vs a typical college stadium experience.

2) The stadium resembles many of the larger Texas HS stadiums in that there is exposed concrete everywhere with very little attention to the look/feel of the stadium. That is the inexpensive way to build a stadium. Located so far from campus, it doesn't have any CFB vibe about it.

This is where I think the stadium could be improved at a reasonable cost. Give it a makeover by spending some money on making it look and feel like a great place to be.

Example: To keep costs down, Baylor used a fake brick tarp to make the stadium look like it had real bricks vs exposed concrete.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But there is space behind Toscano.

Reaction Score
Give the Rent a makeover by spending some money on making it look and feel like a great place to be.

Totally agree. If the plan is to remain at the Rent and we’re about to spend for repair/renovation, don’t just be fixing the rusting concrete and the hidden infrastructure. There also need to be upgrades and elements visible to the public. More blue, less drab gray. Finish the half finished (and amateur looking) wrap around “video ribbon”. Translate some of the improvements and symbolism we’ve seen in our impressive new social media blitz to the game-day experience, etc—-ad nauseam!

Reaction Score
I doubt you want my opinion, but I will give you my opinion of UConn's stadium from the perspective of a 15 year resident who was not a fan.

Experience: Every Big12/SEC/AAC stadium in Texas except Houston's new stadium plus many of the best HS stadiums in Texas.

The Good:
  • The physical plant of the stadium is fine but for a little sprucing up from time to time. When the time comes, it looks like it could be expanded to Baylor/TCU size without much fuss.
  • Setting up the TV cameras to point at the home side (which looks full) was genius.

The Bad (and the awful):
1) The grounds around the stadium are a complete train wreck from a fan's perspective. It "feels" like driving into a toxic waste dump even on sunny days. At a minimum, state needs to figure out how to make the site "not suck." It was the only awful part of going to a game vs a typical college stadium experience.

2) The stadium resembles many of the larger Texas HS stadiums in that there is exposed concrete everywhere with very little attention to the look/feel of the stadium. That is the inexpensive way to build a stadium. Located so far from campus, it doesn't have any CFB vibe about it.

This is where I think the stadium could be improved at a reasonable cost. Give it a makeover by spending some money on making it look and feel like a great place to be.

Example: To keep costs down, Baylor used a fake brick tarp to make the stadium look like it had real bricks vs exposed concrete.
1. It was a toxic waste dump. That is why it was donated.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

The Good:

The Bad (and the awful):

It can't be that expensive to plant some native trees in the parking lots to give it more of a homey feel.
Gives you some shade for September games and when the trees start changing colors, you get some ambiance.

Reaction Score
It can't be that expensive to plant some native trees in the parking lots to give it more of a homey feel.
Gives you some shade for September games and when the trees start changing colors, you get some ambiance.
I've told my crew for years that we need hedges along the sidelines or in the endzone.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It would sound a lot nicer if you had season tickets in the Oak Lot instead of Gray Lot or the Maple Lot instead of Blue Lot.

Maybe get a white oak, which is what the Charter Oak was, and plant it somewhere around the stadium.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Since I'm spitballing ideas. Use it for fundraising and fan engagement. Sell rights to specific tree locations in the different lots as a package deal for parking in that lot.

Donate X amount of dollars and have the tree named as you see fit (With a plaque nearby it) and get the parking space underneath it for X number of years.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Well, renting it would be more accurate. We are also preventing overloading, keeping an even strain on the lower assembly.
I was just re-reading this and thought I should have said "we are just peeing...and getting more beer." I stand corrected.

Reaction Score
I've never heard anyone make a comment like that. The site doesn't suck and is a great place to tailgate. You'll have to explain what sucks about it.

HuskiesFan1014

Reaction Score
Yeah...like the folks leaving won't hit the trees. Never mind the maintenance with leaves, the tree roots, etc. Trees in a tailgating parking lot? Those are called parks. This is a tailgating lot. And a damn fine one at that. This chucklehead wants to hang tarps that look like bricks and thinks our tailgating areas look like toxic waste areas? Buy a Blue pass, ya cheap bastahd lol. But planting trees in the tailgating lot???
We really need this season to start, if only to stop the insanity.

Reaction Score
I've never heard anyone make a comment like that. The site doesn't suck and is a great place to tailgate. You'll have to explain what sucks about it.
Everything South and West (assuming the map I copied - N is up) of the stadium of the stadium starting at Cabela's is terrible.
  • it looks and feels like a Brownfield nobody bothered to clean up.
  • you have the P&W plant which is unwelcoming
  • the runway makes the stadium look like an afterthought.
Solid stadium design -> a facelift + landscaping could be transformative to the gameday experience.
  • The rabid UConn fans don't need to be won over.
  • Win the attention of the CT residents who just want a great day at the "park" with the family and UConn's fan base will grow.
IMG_0249.jpeg

HuskiesFan1014

Reaction Score
Everything South and West (assuming the map I copied - N is up) of the stadium of the stadium starting at Cabela's is terrible.
  • it looks and feels like a Brownfield nobody bothered to clean up.
  • you have the P&W plant which is unwelcoming
  • the runway makes the stadium look like an afterthought.
Solid stadium design -> a facelift + landscaping could be transformative to the gameday experience.
  • The rabid UConn fans don't need to be won over.
  • Win the attention of the CT residents who just want a great day at the "park" with the family and UConn's fan base will grow.
View attachment 91099
Are you aware of all the new construction at Rentschler Field? (Huge new warehouse operations with new parking lots and greenery?)

Reaction Score
There is always space. They could build it on the current practice fields. Or Discovery Drive and move Burton. Or behind Toscano.

I'm curious to know how long a trip it is for the average Penn State fan to get to Beaver Stadium. Or the average fan of any big time program for that matter. Compare it to that of UConn fans. Then we might be able to put the travel time discussion to bed for good because it is just so lame. If the extra distance is in fact a concern, we don't deserve big time football.

That said, on the flip side, many Syracuse and BC fans go to the Rent because it is easy to get to, much easier than Syracuse and Boston. The ACC snub just makes no sense at all.

Reaction Score
You Storrs stadium nuts are insane. I've been going to UConn games for 60 years and the students have never given a about UConn football. There have never been more than 3 or 4 thousand students at any game when they played at Memorial. Now they really can't give a as they are focused on their cell phones and social media.
Stop with this insanity about a stadium in Storrs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom