Level-Headed Analysis - Stadium | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Level-Headed Analysis - Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Think you neglected to add the extra 1.5 hours for game day traffic.
How about this as a compromise - on any random day and at any random time it could take as few as 1.5 Hrs and up to an eternity with construction, accidents, and congestion from Bridgeport down to Greenwich. Some things never change and the Merritt and 95 are guaranteed to ruin any schedule.

Reaction Score
Rent has only been boring cuz the team and crowd has largely been bad over the past decade plus. When it was full for good teams I never found it boring. The surrounding area is boring and an on campus stadium could rectify that. And if building a new and improved on campus stadium ever happened I’d be excited about it, just don’t think it’s realistic any time soon so I’m not worried about it. The rent is still very useful outside of maintenance to keep it functioning well I can’t think of many features it’s lacking that I’d care about.

Reaction Score
How about this as a compromise - on any random day and at any random time it could take as few as 1.5 Hrs and up to an eternity with construction, accidents, and congestion from Bridgeport down to Greenwich. Some things never change and the Merritt and 95 are guaranteed to ruin any schedule.
Whatever happens south of the Rent is a wash. But it will ALWAYS take and extra 1.5 hours to get to Storrs on a game day.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We're not wandering. We're getting more beer. Jeesh.
Young Sheldon GIF by CBS

Reaction Score
It takes 30 minutes to get to Storrs from the Rent with 0 traffic. I think your GPS might be broken, brother.
I have made it in 25 minutes more than once. If it takes 30 minutes traffic must be heavy.

Reaction Score
yep, that sounds about right.

That being said, the coliseum has an amazing history. but it's history.
The only thing notable about that stadium NOW, is the team playing in it. It was built long ago and has served its purpose, but take USC out of it, and it is an outdated dump. If you look at photos, the field isnt even symetrically placed on the pitch. it is closer to one end of the stands, leaving a very awkward open end of nothing on the far side. If you said the coliseum was the home of any of the low-tier FBS programs i mentioned, people would call it a dump.
You said you "did research." Did any of that research include the $300M USC put into renovating the building three or four years ago?

Reaction Score
I have made it in 25 minutes more than once. If it takes 30 minutes traffic must be heavy.

I've driven that road speeding the entire way 100x. If you're making it in 25, you're going to kill someone.

Reaction Score
I'll start by saying that I think The Rent is fine a great stadium that just needs some much needed TLC and updating.

The argument I don't buy is the one that says people from Fairfield county wouldn't go to games. How many of those same fans travel to Gampel for basketball on a weeknight? Football is on the weekend. I have a feeling that while it's nice and closer to go to EH, the same fans from Fairfield county would have no problem driving a little further to a Storrs stadium. Plus, on campus stadiums provide the opportunity to get on campus on a beautiful fall day.
Ask Jim Mora where he would like to play home games, or give a prospective recruit a tour of, an on campus stadium or the Rent? For that matter even ask Dan Hurley or Geno where they would rather play home games?

Reaction Score

The only thing notable about that stadium NOW, is the team playing in it. It was built long ago and has served its purpose, but take USC out of it, and it is an outdated dump. If you look at photos, the field isnt even symetrically placed on the pitch. it is closer to one end of the stands, leaving a very awkward open end of nothing on the far side. If you said the coliseum was the home of any of the low-tier FBS programs i mentioned, people would call it a dump.
It is due for a facelift that’s for sure.

Reaction Score
using my computer:
Stamford to the Rent:
1 hr 17 min (77.9 mi) via I-95 N and CT-15 N

Stamford to UConn Storrs
1 hr 38 min (100.1 mi) via CT-15 N

Is the time difference that much?
The fact that you wrote "using my computer" makes me think I hope you dont usually calculate speed and distance manually... haha.

Your additional distance is 22 miles and the additonal time is 21 minutes. Which would equate to 60mph. The difference roadwise is partially freeway but also a long stretch of single lane country highway that all gameday attendees would be stuck on. No way someone would be doing 60 for that entire stretch.

Maybe check Waze or Google Maps this weekend when the kids are moving in. I remember it backing up quite a bit on move-in day so that might be a more accurate value to compare.

Reaction Score

It is due for a facelift that’s for sure.

Reaction Score
I take your level headed ask, and give you my 21st century plan to use an on-campus football stadium to take the blame for the necessary infrastructure spending and political ruthlessness needed to connect Storrs CT with the outside world and promote continued growth of the university.

View attachment 90948
Significantly better idea: expand the fastrak and run really frequent bus service. Highways suck

Reaction Score
I was in Columbus Ohio a few weeks ago- a city comparable in size to Hartford
Clearly Football is king there but they had back to back country concerts with 100k each night at Ohio State.
My point is - use the Rent for more than football.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I was in Columbus Ohio a few weeks ago- a city comparable in size to Hartford
Clearly Football is king there but they had back to back country concerts with 100k each night at Ohio State.
My point is - use the Rent for more than football.
It had Rolling Stones and Springsteen concerts in its early years. The neighbors were not amused. It is used for Christmas lights and a brew fest.

Columbus also only 800,000 or so more people than Hartford

Reaction Score
I disagree on the second part. I live in Newington and am down in Fairfield all the time, that drive sucks especially after 3pm on any weeknight. Hell I hit traffic on weekends too. Telling me I’d have to drive an extra 25-30 min to Storrs would turn off a lot of casual fans.

There’s a reason you see more Fairfield and Sacred Heart athletic advertising down there.
Another reason the state probably isn't ready for big time football.

Reaction Score
I disagree on the second part. I live in Newington and am down in Fairfield all the time, that drive sucks especially after 3pm on any weeknight. Hell I hit traffic on weekends too. Telling me I’d have to drive an extra 25-30 min to Storrs would turn off a lot of casual fans.

There’s a reason you see more Fairfield and Sacred Heart athletic advertising down there.
How come I never hear UConn basketball fans (men’s game or women’s game) complaining about the drive to Storrs? As for football, two wrongs don’t make a right.

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with the Rent, I think its a great venue.

That said, an on-campus stadium would be leaps and bounds better. As an alumni I always wish I could use football games as a way to get back on campus and reconnect with the University. East Hartford doesn't allow that and its a d@mn shame.

Let's get back to winning. The rest will sort itself out!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with the Rent, I think its a great venue.

That said, an on-campus stadium would be leaps and bounds better. As an alumni I always wish I could use football games as a way to get back on campus and reconnect with the University. East Hartford doesn't allow that and its a d@mn shame.

Let's get back to winning. The rest will sort itself out!
It would help the University and the football program immensely. The question is where, the design, and how big?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
How come I never hear UConn basketball fans (men’s game or women’s game) complaining about the drive to Storrs? As for football, two wrongs don’t make a right.
They complain or only go to select games. The reality of the situation is that I-95 in the lower portion of the state is one of the most congested highways in the country.

Reaction Score
They complain or only go to select games. The reality of the situation is that I-95 in the lower portion of the state is one of the most congested highways in the country.
This. I go to games at Gampel and the Civic center. For some reason, a lot of people here have a hard time believing some prefer the Civic Center. It's great being back on campus, the energy is good, but when I'm attending a 7PM game on a Thursday after work, it's monumentally easier to get to Hartford and I never get stuck in traffic leaving. There's a place for both venues, so long as the buy games and cupcakes aren't put in Hartford. It needs big names to keep the energy up.

Reaction Score
I've been to stadiums around the country and even the world. Tailgating is a pretty US thing, and we are spoiled for it by the rent. Great, spread out area and simple access roads. Also, great acoustics and good sight lines/ view from every single seat.

My only thought is we need a designated tailgate area for students. When I was a student, we always crashed my friend's parents' tailgate, and the students who had no one to visit sat in the stadium before the game and got stuck in traffic on the buses leaving. Give them a cool place with Cornhole, beer with wrist bands for 21+, and you'll have way better student attendance.

Reaction Score
I've been to stadiums around the country and even the world. Tailgating is a pretty US thing, and we are spoiled for it by the rent. Great, spread out area and simple access roads. Also, great acoustics and good sight lines/ view from every single seat.

My only thought is we need a designated tailgate area for students. When I was a student, we always crashed my friend's parents' tailgate, and the students who had no one to visit sat in the stadium before the game and got stuck in traffic on the buses leaving. Give them a cool place with Cornhole, beer with wrist bands for 21+, and you'll have way better student attendance.
UConn’s main campus in Storrs and the surrounding area houses almost 20,000 students. Build a new 40,000+ on campus stadium and they will come. Planning for parking and tailgating for both students and non-student fans is critical though. The overriding reason for an on campus stadium is to improve the football team, make the coaches job easier in recruiting (for all sports), and helps in getting UConn a P5 invite. The Rent doesn’t have to die either, maybe have one home game at the Rent. The state could also use it for concerts, home games for Central, the high school state playoffs, other sports, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom